New 30/375 wildcat

This may turn in to a major deal! I have spoken with several people including Hornady, Gunwerks, Pacific tool, and others and it sounds like it could be more trouble that I want! To go the Hornady route would cost about $600 before you even got to the full length die. Gunwerks makes brass for their 7 LRM but admitted it was a major endeavor. They will get back with me next week to advise me whether or not they would sell brass? I still think a person might be able to form cases without using the 4 steps Hornady suggests, but you might end up destroying more cases than you would like. I'm also not too sure that it might not require some inside neck turning? Anyway, I'm going to kick this around some more before I give the go ahead on the reamer. The SIN case would also be a lot of hassle, and the Dakota cases are near two bucks a pop. The only easy way to do this would be simply neck down the 375 case to 30 without moving the shoulder and that would give you a .253" length neck which I don't like.......Rich

Save your money on that one, Your barrel won't eat 600.00 of brass in its lifetime at
2.00 a case. (Pies in the oven Buddy)

If you recall in the original thread I mentioned that the case grew .010" when I necked down the 375 Ruger case to 30 caliber. That will increase the neck length. Also you should gain some more when firing the cases. If you sharpen the shoulder you will negate the lengthening of the case and it may shrink after firing (like my 280AI does), but if you keep the original shoulder angle then you should experience normal lengthening.

Just thought I'd throw that in

What is causing the issue, moving the shoulder back and changing the angle?

Yes, that's the problem. As Woods says, blowing the case out always shrinks the length somewhat, but that should offset with the lengthening he mentioned from necking down. If you stayed with a 30 degree shoulder and left it in place, you might end up with .270" neck + or -. This would be the only reasonable (expense wise) way to do it but the neck is still too short for my liking. I realize some others have as short or shorter necks (300 WM). Just my preference........Rich

I believe he is going for something close to rum velocities that will work in any long action without the magazine length being a limiting factor.... at least thats the apparent benefit to me

Ok makes sense, thanks for the reply. It sounds like a cool idea I just didn't see the reason, now I do ;) And what are these 225 gr bullets? They sound pretty interesting

I've been making my own for about 6 years now. They are built specifically for long range application. High b.c., very accurate, and expand down to 1300' or less......Rich

I've been making my own for about 6 years now. They are built specifically for long range application. High b.c., very accurate, and expand down to 1300' or less......Rich

Great something else really cool I can't have ;) you might want to figure out a way to market those

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.