How do I figure out the value of a rifle?

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for a long range rifle and am having difficulty coming up with dollar amount. I know different markets mean different pricing but I would appreciate a little advice.

Rem 700 stainless in 300rum, factory 26" barrel with 60 rounds through it, composite spiderweb black stock aluminum bedded, brake, talley rings holding a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 standard reticle, Timmy 2 stage trigger, Versa-Pod Bipod (I have a few of these, look into them).

I have added up what I have into it, and I know there's no way I'm going to get that back out of it, but I don't even know where to start...

Because I customize every rifle I have I've been through this a lot of times. I check the used market like Texas Gun Trader, or whatever similar you have where you live. I check the gunbroker SOLD listings. People list things for all kinds of money but it's the sold price that determines the market.

Based on what you have listed (having not seen the rifle) I can tell you my estimate would be retail + 10-20%. The scope I'd sell separate, I've never come anywhere close to getting my money back selling a scope with the rifle. I've always done better selling them seperate.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience

I'd sell the scope separately, along with rings, bipod, and trigger and reinstall the original trigger.
A friend bought the same gun in 300rum with 100 rounds through it, it came with brass and dies. Was bedded with brake installed by local gunsmith. He paid $700canadian for it.
He shot it some then resold it for more later on.

id go this route as well. its a bit more work but easier to sell on GB for a 'known' value.

Get value of rifle from the book of gun values which will value rifle by condition, as stated I would take off all accessories, try putting it in your local classified listings might be able to sell everything together.

Being that everybody can have a custom build done for about $1800-$2000 complete with a blueprinted Remington Action, numerous trigger options, HS Precision or Greyboe stock, 20 moa rail, and with Action bedded and basic cerakoted paint job. I am saying you've got about a $1000 Rifle and then whatever you can get for the scope. Here is the custom builder I use. Put in on Gunbroker and I'm sure you get some action on it. Ultra mag has some cult followings and someone always looking for a decent used rifle at a fair price.

http://www.cprecisioncustomrifles.com/pricing/

Custom anything is hard to recoup costs. Build cars and guitars and you will find the same thing. Unless your stick is from a very well known maker and contains desirable parts no longer made, it is hard to be made whole. Here is what I would do.

Find a Cabelas or gunshop that is deep and long on Les B product. Then trade. Keep in mind real world value and the tricks played by retailers. Hardly anyone pays near retail for anything with a little digging...for example, you will find scopes from top tier makers have 20% markup in general. A Kahles that sells for $2800 was purchased near $2250. That same used Kahles, depending on shape and box/papers...you can find it for $2k all day long from motivated sellers looking to get into the next great thing. The 6-24 had been knocked off the perch by the 5-25...so they are cheap by comparison. And dealers that are smaller with little liquidity in the bank use "demo" or "scratch" sales to get out from under non-selling product without getting bitch slapped by the sales rep. Try selling Swaro at a 40% mark and watch how fast they yank your chain.

So the point is come up with a real world value of your stick you can live with. Let's say $1500 and you know you are out $1000 or so. Find that Les B and beat them up on price. High end 1911's sit like everything else. I got into a Carolina for $800 less than asking because too much competition for the same thing and steep price = not selling. You will come out taking a hit, but if that Les B is $3k and you can get it near their cost of $2400, then the $1000 or ? you are upside down is substantially less.

High end gun market is SOFT. I don't post here much but have been a member for a long time...I read quite a bit and watch prices of stuff like a hawk. I know most of the custom builders and I can tell you the name is much of the price. Most of them are outstanding. But the only custom rifles I have ever made out on were from Frank Wells and Dave Caboth...those were Safari rifles purchased used at the right price and then sold to someone particular. Not a game you can play casually...you need to know your stuff. Just like N frame SW revolvers are bringing BIG bucks...I would never pay $1200-1500 for a revolver I could buy in the mid 90's for $350 NIB but folks do.

As stated, your caliber is a bit much for some. I love 300 RUM and 7 STW for hunting sticks but they are slow to move. I think if you are patient, and that is KEY, you can get into that Les B you want and not get hurt too bad. And by showing Cabelas (or who ever) the full RETAIL price of your rig...well you can make out okay.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to help. Good luck!

Because I customize every rifle I have I've been through this a lot of times. I check the used market like Texas Gun Trader, or whatever similar you have where you live. I check the gunbroker SOLD listings. People list things for all kinds of money but it's the sold price that determines the market.

Based on what you have listed (having not seen the rifle) I can tell you my estimate would be retail + 10-20%. The scope I'd sell separate, I've never come anywhere close to getting my money back selling a scope with the rifle. I've always done better selling them seperate.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience

Hardly anyone is going to want the same scope that you chose.

Another plus posting guns on this site is posting pictures of actual groups that you have shot with the rifle and the ammo/reload data. I agree with others, to move a rifle in this economy, you have to be willing to let it go for much less than you have in it.

Best of luck selling your rifle.

Oftimes a fast nickel beats a slow dime as an old coin acquaintance once said.

Interesting idea. Can you guys down there, donate your gun to a club at its full purchase price, get a charitable tax receipt and write it off against your taxes?

With the tax law changes it might be hard to get enough deductions to itemize. A $2000 donation would reduce your taxes by about $400 so even selling for $1000 cash puts you way ahead unless you're feeling charitable.

I would agree with takeing off scope and bipod those are personal preferences for distance shooters.
Do you have a great target you can guarantee it shot. Selling a good new gun looks suspicious to me personally. My first thought would be is the guy trying to off load a lemon.

I would agree with takeing off scope and bipod those are personal preferences for distance shooters.
Do you have a great target you can guarantee it shot. Selling a good new gun looks suspicious to me personally. My first thought would be is the guy trying to off load a lemon.
While I agree with the above statement, I have always been the handshake and a smile, my word is my bond kind of guy. It may be a fault or a throwback, but it's just how I roll... I understand in these really crappy untrustworthy times that bum deals happen, but I will always offer trust before cynicism...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.