Help how do I improve a factory rifle.

setandglass

Interested in what all can be done to improve the accuracy of a factory Remington 700 7mm ultra mag sendero rifle. I will be reloading, the stock has been beded and trigger has been done crisp 2lbs both by gun smith. I think the sendero already has a target crown. Anybody blueprint the action? (how much difference will that make?) ready something about a diff bolt. Gun has muzzle break already.

Last edited:
I would suggest to adjust the trigger and go shoot. You might be surprised to see what it can really do.

Even if it was .5 group I would be looking for .3 Looking to get the best out of it. I'm sure it will shoot fine my buddy has one that shoots 1 1/8 at 200 Yards.

Tighter the better I say.

Even if it was .5 group I would be looking for .3 Looking to get the best out of it. I'm sure it will shoot fine my buddy has one that shoots 1 1/8 at 200 Yards.

Tighter the better I say.

My Wby Vanguard does that too. With factory ammo.
My Sendero does better.

As mentioned, have a gunsmith adjust and tune the trigger for you. It was the best $65 I ever spent on a rifle, and my Sendero trigger is now my favorite on all of my rifles. It makes a significant difference.

Now go handload and find the load that really works for your rifle. That will probably get you more than any additional cubic dollars you throw at the rifle.

short of having the action blue printed I would start on load development and try to tune the load for the the rifle and see how well it shoots, but after reading all that you have already done, blue printing is the next step, then possibly an after market match grade barrel.

Do you have a muzzle break? If not I'd suggest it. It's a large caliber that really help you "develop" a flinch...

Guys not trying to fix a broken rifle here I'm more interested in a step by step plan to make a factory rifle as accurate as possiable with out going to custome barrel.

1. Reload
2. Bed action
3. float barrel

Get the idea.

Guys not trying to fix a broken rifle here I'm more interested in a step by step plan to make a factory rifle as accurate as possiable with out going to custome barrel.

1. Reload
2. Bed action
3. float barrel

Get the idea.

I think we "get the idea". Therefore, how does it shoot right now, with the loads you have developed? Do we have that info, or is the cart before the proverbial horse? It may shoot well right now. I re-read your posts and dont see that you have "tested" the setup as it stands. It would seem that once a baseline is established, a direction can be ascertained.

I think we "get the idea". Therefore, how does it shoot right now, with the loads you have developed? Do we have that info, or is the cart before the proverbial horse? It may shoot well right now. I re-read your posts and dont see that you have "tested" the setup as it stands. It would seem that once a baseline is established, a direction can be ascertained.

What he said!:D

Well I think you have done about everything to a factory rifle you can do except tune the hand load to the rifle , That would be my next step. You can sometimes squeeze a little more out of a factory rifle by adjusting the torque settings on the actions screws. You really do need to get out there and shoot it and please post your results. one other way to get the most out of a factory gun is ......practice!

That is what Im saying also. I have ran into a guy at the range a few times. I think , man Im getting my custom shooting, 1-3'' at 400. Then he shows me a one bullet hole group out of his factory 338 LA, AT 200 AND others out of his factory 7mm stw. I have been to his reloading room and it looks like a laboratory. He keeps triving for perfection. And his time in the reloading room is paying off, obvious reloading skills,rated by what I see at range. To elaborate on this, there was a guy on here, Think it was Joseph, that had 2 customs built, by reputable smiths. And he was having a difficult time finding a load and bullet they liked. Most stuff had a hard time shooting 1moa.The guy above told me he could only get a certain bullet to group well. Many of us have experienced similar issues. Then some rifles like it all. A nice rest and bag can help you get the most out of rifle, and chrono load for consistency of ammo. After that I do all my shooting off my bipod.

1. Trigger adjustment
2. Bed the action
3. Hand load
4. Make sure scope rings are tight, and base is solid and level.
5. Get the bolt lugs lapped.

Shoot to see if it is satisfactory. If not, do the following

1. Scope the bore to see if the bore is good. May need to be recrowned.
2. Blue print the action.
3. Restock the rifle with an aftermarket stock.

Shoot to see how it goes. You will more than likely have to adjust your loads after these steps. Your headspacing will be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.