How do I figure out the value of a rifle?

No Data Fred

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for a long range rifle and am having difficulty coming up with dollar amount. I know different markets mean different pricing but I would appreciate a little advice.

Rem 700 stainless in 300rum, factory 26" barrel with 60 rounds through it, composite spiderweb black stock aluminum bedded, brake, talley rings holding a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 standard reticle, Timmy 2 stage trigger, Versa-Pod Bipod (I have a few of these, look into them).

I have added up what I have into it, and I know there's no way I'm going to get that back out of it, but I don't even know where to start...

Last edited:
I've looked on GB without much luck. Gun shows in the Phoenix area are filled with Gucci Glocks and AR's. That fact kind of keeps the long range guys away.

5780A30D-8F4C-4D6D-B21F-FEB3D692E051.jpeg

I walked around Crossroads on Sunday and I put it out there for $2500obo, which is much less than I have in it. Didn't get bite one. That's what has me questioning my pricing.
I'd sell the scope separately, along with rings, bipod, and trigger and reinstall the original trigger.
A friend bought the same gun in 300rum with 100 rounds through it, it came with brass and dies. Was bedded with brake installed by local gunsmith. He paid $700canadian for it.
He shot it some then resold it for more later on.

This is a tough one. I've sold a few rifles over the years and to be honest, even with anywhere between 10 to 20% consignment fees, I've just had the best luck consigning them at a reputable dealer. I've found that it's just a hassle to do private sales and going the forum route (not this one) had gotten me nothing but straw-man purchase attempts. In your case, I think I'd sell the scope seperate from the rifle. Also, seasonal factors play a role. In my neck of the woods, alot more guys are looking for rifles in September and October than they are in May or June.

Last fall, I tried to consign a "cherry" Cooper Jackson Game .25-06 (AAA Claro) that I had about 3,200 into, and it didn't move for months at 2,200. It will remain in my safe and I'm sure I'll re-purpose it in a few years. Sometimes it's best to just hang on to it for a while if you can't get what you want. In a few years, you might be glad you kept that Remington around.

The advice from the others to sell the scope, bi-pod, rings and trigger separate is excellent advice. You will realize far more parted out that you will get for it as a unit. You are basically selling a stock Rem 700 that has been bedded into what appears to be either the factory stock or one not from a high brand value maker. You are going to have trouble getting more than about 70-80% of what that factory rifle costs new.

By separating the parts you will net a lot more of your total investment back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.