How do I figure out the value of a rifle?

Unfortunately, I think everyone is correct. In looking at parts prices, I'm still going to be out a ton. But the sum of the parts makes for a helluva rifle if someone was looking to get into long range.

It's a used rifle. I don't mean to be a jerk, but did you expect it to be an investment?

It is a factory Remington 700 in a caliber that most outside of this forum have very little use for.

I would say that you can take what you paid for it'll the total package and take 25% off that and accept offers. Expect to probably get around 70% of what you paid. Parting it out just makes for more transactions, shipping and PayPal fees. Sell as a package at a loss and move on.

Again, not trying to be mean...just trying to be honest.

Good luck, I hope you can get a fair price out of it bud!

Steve

way too high IMHO
It's a used rifle. I don't mean to be a jerk, but did you expect it to be an investment?

It is a factory Remington 700 in a caliber that most outside of this forum have very little use for.

I would say that you can take what you paid for it'll the total package and take 25% off that and accept offers. Expect to probably get around 70% of what you paid. Parting it out just makes for more transactions, shipping and PayPal fees. Sell as a package at a loss and move on.

Steve

That answer doesn't help him. Give him your suggestion. I obviously do not have a crystal ball to know what he is going to get for the rifle, or I would have given him the contact information to his buyer.

70% will get him much closer than what he has probably been asking. Leave out any gunsmith labor and small things like rings and bases and it should be a place to start.

Have a great evening!
Steve
way too high IMHO

I walked around Crossroads on Sunday and I put it out there for $2500obo, which is much less than I have in it. Didn't get bite one. That's what has me questioning my pricing.

No Data Fred,
Well, that a good start, but it's really much simpler. You know what you paid for the rifle, and kit so the bottom line is'..., it's what you are willing to take and what their willing to give you, just that easy. Real gun values can be all over the board so to speak, it all comes down to and also depending on where your standing at the time, $2000.00 rifle in Oregon is a $1200.00 in Florida, and of course, there are many other factors in that. Good luck.

Last edited:

Steve
I recall years ago consigning a rifle with Cabelas in Mitchell. It never sold, but was a tad beat up after I got it back.

The other thing is that one man's idea of a custom/customized gun is not necessarily another man's idea of a customized gun. Best is to maybe list it as is on GunBroker for a spell and if no action [npi] part it out.

Part it out for sure !
The problem is there are 300 Rums setting on most gun store shelves . It's a hard kicking rifle for some . I love all of mine ! Just list it here it's a great site with great guys ! Some tire kickers but it should sell .

RumMan

Another plus posting guns on this site is posting pictures of actual groups that you have shot with the rifle and the ammo/reload data. I agree with others, to move a rifle in this economy, you have to be willing to let it go for much less than you have in it.

Best of luck selling your rifle.

If I was planning on selling any of my rifles,,, that's what I'd sell first... Throw in the bases as a bonus...

Just the rifle with the factory trigger,,, then list the optic with rings,,, after market trigger I'd sell separately...

Then do a bulk ammo sale as well as reloading stuff to clean house...

Simple easy fast...

And yes,,, your selling price will be based on what your willing to let it go for...

Fast sale is normally low price...
A higher price tag takes longer...

Of course the buyer gets to decide what thier willing to pay,,, there's little tricks a person learns on how to maximize the final sale...

Good luck on what path you choose to follow...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for a long range rifle and am having difficulty coming up with dollar amount. I know different markets mean different pricing but I would appreciate a little advice.

Rem 700 stainless in 300rum, factory 26" barrel with 60 rounds through it, composite spiderweb black stock aluminum bedded, brake, talley rings holding a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 standard reticle, Timmy 2 stage trigger, Versa-Pod Bipod (I have a few of these, look into them).

I have added up what I have into it, and I know there's no way I'm going to get that back out of it, but I don't even know where to start...
I would find a local gun club and see what they will offer you. The gun club I belong to buys guns/bows/etc. and raffles them off. They will also appreciate the options etc. that come on your rifle(since they are usually very familiar with guns). They buy it from you and sell raffle tickets to their members and make a bit of money for the club. It's worth a try for sure.

I would find a local gun club and see what they will offer you. The gun club I belong to buys guns/bows/etc. and raffles them off. They will also appreciate the options etc. that come on your rifle(since they are usually very familiar with guns). They buy it from you and sell raffle tickets to their members and make a bit of money for the club. It's worth a try for sure.
Interesting idea. Can you guys down there, donate your gun to a club at its full purchase price, get a charitable tax receipt and write it off against your taxes?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts