How do I figure out the value of a rifle?

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for a long range rifle and am having difficulty coming up with dollar amount. I know different markets mean different pricing but I would appreciate a little advice.

Rem 700 stainless in 300rum, factory 26" barrel with 60 rounds through it, composite spiderweb black stock aluminum bedded, brake, talley rings holding a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 standard reticle, Timmy 2 stage trigger, Versa-Pod Bipod (I have a few of these, look into them).

I have added up what I have into it, and I know there's no way I'm going to get that back out of it, but I don't even know where to start...
Hi mate if you have all factory parts still re fit them. Then sell the factory rifle and the parts seperate. You will get more than selling as a package. You can also tell the rifle buyer you have upgrade parts if there interested and up sell the rifle like a gunshop would.

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for a long range rifle and am having difficulty coming up with dollar amount. I know different markets mean different pricing but I would appreciate a little advice.

Rem 700 stainless in 300rum, factory 26" barrel with 60 rounds through it, composite spiderweb black stock aluminum bedded, brake, talley rings holding a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 standard reticle, Timmy 2 stage trigger, Versa-Pod Bipod (I have a few of these, look into them).

I have added up what I have into it, and I know there's no way I'm going to get that back out of it, but I don't even know where to start...

You could always take it to a local gun shop that sells used and new rifles and have them evaluate it. I know Cabelas will do that in their gun library. That is If there is a Cabelas near where you live. Of course they will be hoping you will put it up for sale through their library, but you can always thank them for the info and not sell it through them. If I remember right, I think they give you 20% under what they evaluate it for?

You are much better off piecing it out. For somebody to get a "deal", you'd probably sell the parts for 50-60 % of what you paid. Maybe a little more for some of the parts. A gun store will rape you. Lucky to get 25% because they have to mark it up to make a profit and still sell it as used. Sell all the non serial # parts (all parts other than the gun on e-bay or try Craig's list. You might get 400-600 for the scope (I'd take the scope but I was looking for a varmint reticle). 70-80 for the trigger, a new Timney is $130, a Calvin Elite is $200. 20-35 for a versa bipod. The gun was probably around $1000. Who wants that caliber? Luck to get 500, 600. If you get the right person they might care about the brake. Is the brake aftermarket or factory? Maybe add $50. Did you mean the stock has a factory aluminum bedding block? Or you had it pillar bedded? Thanks,

Mike

I buy guns off the forums when they are close enough to what I am looking for and most importantly at the right price.

If you paid retail when you bought your stuff, you paid way too much. So you might be getting burned on retail when you are trying to sell it.

Here is how I value my purchase of a second hand custom gun ( no matter how new it is).

Factory action is worth $250-300 (to me)
Custom action is worth 60-80% of retail (to me)
Factory barrel isn't worth anything.
Custom barrel is worth 200 for a steel barrel and 600 for a Proof wrapped barrel. With .50-1$ decucted per round depending on calibers. So a Proof wrapped barrel in 300 Winchester that has 1500 rounds through it has no value. A 308 in the same barrel would be worth about $300.

Scope mounts are the same (unless they are Spuhr, then I will pay $200 for them).
A custom fiberglass stock that is gelcoat and not painted is worth 60% or retail.
Muzzle brake has no value unless it was over $150, then 50%.
Scopes are hard. I'd give 30-60% of the value of the optic.
FDE paint (duracoat, cerakote, whatever) has no value.

You could always take it to a local gun shop that sells used and new rifles and have them evaluate it. I know Cabelas will do that in their gun library. That is If there is a Cabelas near where you live. Of course they will be hoping you will put it up for sale through their library, but you can always thank them for the info and not sell it through them. If I remember right, I think they give you 20% under what they evaluate it for?

A couple years ago I was asking at BassPro and they wouldn't even consider taking a used rifle. Can't say as I blame them since they have no way to verify how it was handled/treated in the past.

You are much better off piecing it out. For somebody to get a "deal", you'd probably sell the parts for 50-60 % of what you paid. Maybe a little more for some of the parts. A gun store will rape you. Lucky to get 25% because they have to mark it up to make a profit and still sell it as used. Sell all the non serial # parts (all parts other than the gun on e-bay or try Craig's list. You might get 400-600 for the scope (I'd take the scope but I was looking for a varmint reticle). 70-80 for the trigger, a new Timney is $130, a Calvin Elite is $200. 20-35 for a versa bipod. The gun was probably around $1000. Who wants that caliber? Luck to get 500, 600. If you get the right person they might care about the brake. Is the brake aftermarket or factory? Maybe add $50. Did you mean the stock has a factory aluminum bedding block? Or you had it pillar bedded? Thanks,

Mike
Someone on Craigs will likely flag your post/s within minutes after you list there.

E-bay, craig's list.
In California we have Cal-Guns and I suppose even if you are out of state you can sell it on Cal guns for free.
People live in No Cal are 1000 miles from So Cal

Sadly, when it comes to guns, they are much like automobiles in cost.
Individual parts aren't that expensive but factor in the labor and skill and the price skyrockets!
And when you use quality parts (read as expensive) the equation is skewed greatly.
Assuming you bought the rifle new, YOU bought what YOU wanted then added all the extras, increasing the overall cost.
Then you drive it off the lot (or shoot with it in this case) and suddenly, SHAZAM!!
It isn't worth a hill of beans to the next guy.
Sucks but that's the way it is and I've been in your shoes more times than I'd like to admit it.
Now here comes the kicker and I'm sad to say it is disheartening.
Folks who buy and shoot guns are NOTORIOUSLY bad at being willing to pay top dollar, or even BOTTOM dollar for firearms. They'd much rather YOU pay THEM to take it off your hands and you had BETTER be happy about it, too!!
There is a word that you'll have to read into to understand what I mean as I run the risk of being chewed out.
That word has to do with the aftereffects of poultry eating and what they leave behind. Catch my drift?
It just IS, I'm sad to say.
All that aside, you had built a rifle that fit YOUR needs or desire and you'll be waiting a LONG time to find someone who has the same needs and desires.
Then couple it with longevity. It may only be 6 months old today but in 6 YEARS it will be that much harder to sell, parted out or otherwise. Again, it sucks but that's the way it goes with few exceptions.
Now I'm NOT suggesting you do what I'm fixing to tell you but IF there was SOMEthing that made the gun extraordinarily unique, like it is the ONLY example of gun which was used to fight off Zulu warriors on the planet Mars, people would be clamoring all over themselves to buy it at MORE than what you have into it.
Go figure.
It is deceptive but, trust me, guys who you'd NEVER think would be disingenuous do it ALL the time and never bat an eye and laugh all the way to the bank.
Another option is to try and sell it on an auction site. Don't ask me why but as often as not guys will go NUTS bidding for stuff that will have yours eyes bugging out. I think it has to do with the instantaneous influx of ego, testosterone and competition that makes them lose their minds.
Set a minimum bid, be ready to pay the site premium and, if it is something of value that others might want, you could see the Cashola running in.
Maybe.
Otherwise you'll have to resign yourself to keeping the gun and having it become an heirloom which, in all likelihood, will be sold at a HUGE loss (but not to the heir) or traded off for a slingshot.
Such is the oddball way of gun sales.
It sucks but that's how the cookie crumbles.
Good Luck and God Bless.
Overnout.

So here's the latest update. I'm trading the rifle itself, upgrades taken off, for an M1A socom and stuff that goes with that (mags and whatnot) and will be posting the upgrades I have removed from said Rem 700 separately.
Now, I know it doesn't get me the Les Baer I truly desire, BUT, it is a far more desirable weapon to get me to my destination. Trade fodder if you will. PLUS, I get the spare change from selling the other parts. Much more likely to get what I want from whomever if I am offering to "add cash" to sweeten the deal.
I'm trying to "red paper clip" my way to the highest priced Les Baer I can get. I know that was a straight trade situation, but I feel that if it's cash from selling what I had traded into, it doesn't count.

I want to thank each and every one of the people that posted on here, reached out, or just plain ol took the time to read and discuss what was going on. We truly have a great group and resource here. Keep on showing your character and we can only get better.

Huggy

I don't agree that guns and hunting gear are a bad investment. I have been buying and selling guns, loading gear and components for going on 55 years. I have never done worse than break even and have usually made some good money on them. Now very few were bought brand new, and the ones I did buy new were sold MANY years after they were bought so natural course of inflation means their used prices exceeded what I paid for them new. Same is true of components. Bullets I bought less than 15 years ago for $20/100 now go for $50.

Would I have made more money buying Microsoft shares, sure, but they aren't near as much fun to play with. Besides, if you bought even a couple of thousand Microsoft shares 25 years ago, the price of guns and what they resell for is completely irrelevant.

All in, if you buy good quality guns and take good care of them, over 10 years you should be able to get all your money back. If you buy quality used you will probably sell for more than you paid. Scopes are a different deal, they drop in value as newer and better glass seems to get released every few years. You get way more money back selling a gun than you get selling a used set of $3000 Ping golf clubs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.