How to Improve?

WyoRifleman

3-3-23.jpg

This is my first custom rifle and I am shooting my own reloads. These rounds puts me at roughly 70 down down the barrel.

This is the first time I have tried to zero in this rifle, so I was playing with my scope in between groups.

Shot at an indoor range, at a 100 yd. 4 of the groups, which I circled, were shot at the red dots. The other two groups were shot at the corners of the large white lines. The last shot, the single "group", was put shot at the intersection at in the circle.

With my loads I am +- .05 grains. While shooting, I noticed that chambering and ejecting rounds they were a little tight or sticky. So I'll adjust my seating die a little. I am shooting Berger's, so I hope that should rule out bad bullets.

By no means am I a pro shooter, but I am not a rookie either. However, I am very much a rookie at reloading.

With all that being said, like the title says, how can I improve my accuracy? I know that question is very broad and is hard to answer without knowing me, my rifle, or loads. But I will take any and all suggestions.

Thanks guys.

We need more info like caliber, powder, bullet and etc.
7SS, 195 Berger, RL26 at 61 grains (moving roughly 2920).

It is a Origin action, proof research barrel (1-8), and MDT chassis.

I was pretty crazy about the break in of the barrel, shooting and cleaning.

I use squares to aim at; I put the vertical part of the crosshair on one side and the horizontal on the bottom - much more precise than trying to quarter a circle.

What have you tried in terms of powder type and charges? Seating depths? How far from the lands are you?

7SS, 195 Berger, RL26 at 61 grains (moving roughly 2920).

It is a Origin action, proof research barrel (1-8), and MDT chassis.

I was pretty crazy about the break in of the barrel, shooting and cleaning.
It doesn't like something in this recipe. You may need to try a different weight bullet like the 180 or H1000 powder.

If those squares are 1" that 3 shot group in the lower right is sub moa. Other groups look close.

Id have to ask about your shooting technique before your handload recipe, are you shooting from a benchrest, led sled, sandbags, bipod?
Unless your positive its the handload I would shoot over sandbags or front rest, load 10rds shoot 2 5rd groups as slow and precise as you can.

Keep shooting the lower right load until you get about 200 rounds down the barrel, then start doing some seating adjustments.

How did it shoot during meticulous break in?

All the groups are twice as tall as they are wide. To me… that says something is up mechanically with either the rifle/mounts/optic, or the shooting technique used. It's not necessarily the load per se.

Practice may iron some of this out… as my changing rests or rifle hold.

With my loads I am +- .05 grains. While shooting, I noticed that chambering and ejecting rounds they were a little tight or sticky. So I'll adjust my seating die a little. I am shooting Berger's, so I hope that should rule out bad bullets.
I missed this part. Im not certain what you mean by .05g or if thats a typo.
Actually, back up a full grain and fine tune another pressure ladder. Also fully size your brass they shouldnt be tight in the chamber.

If its a brand new barrel just keep in mind your zero might change after 100 or so rounds down the pipe.

Are you sure you don't need to adjust your sizing die. Rounds shouldn't be difficult or sticky to chamber. Are you loading into the lands? As Damage stated, a lot of vertical for 100 yds. Possibly recoil management? Could you have someone else shoot it and compare groups? This might reveal if its a technique issue. How heavy is your rifle? Lighter weight rifles can be more demanding to shoot. I have had issues in the past with too stiff of a rear rest, but usually shows up at longer ranges. Most of your groups appear to be close to MOA, so whatever it is will likely be a subtle change. Whatever it is, it appears to be consistent.

A couple thoughts:

Was the forend resting on a hard surface when you were shooting?

Are you sure the bullet is off the lands?

Is the 195 Berger a VLD, Hybrid, or something else?

Just curious - where is there a 100 yd indoor range in Wyoming?

Just a detail. You say that you want to improve your " accuracy ". Are you referring to group size ( precision ), POA vs. POI ( accuracy ) , or both? A lot of folks use " accuracy " to refer to group size when actually it`s not. Your " accuracy " with some of those groups is not bad at all!

I dealt with this just this week with a Tikka CTR. After 30 rounds I found the scope loose. Tightened it up and turned out this. Check for loose screws and start over. Two inches is what it was doing until I found the problem.

Attachments

• BF99D04E-3A55-4664-901C-4138B20E33F3.jpeg
    BF99D04E-3A55-4664-901C-4138B20E33F3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Something I found in my 50 plus years of reloading and fine tuning a load is the primers, some rifles it can be night and day, others it won't matter, if it were i, Id take that that target and preferred load with 5 different primers, don't be surprised when a established load doubles or shrinks in size, and bench primers won't always produce the tightest groups