Air Rifle to improve shooting skill ???

baj_jcomp

What do think of using either a Benjamin Marauder PCP or Beeman HW97 as a tool to improve shooting skills ??? Both are insanely accurate with the main difference that the Beeman is a springer . The springer would require work by the shooter to perform and the pcp just flat out shoots. I have shot neither but am thinking this would be a great quiet way to shoot all year even in the back yard.

Air guns and rimfire rifles are great and inexpensive ways to practice your fundamentals. No matter what kind of weapon you use whether it be an Anschutz rifle to hit an x at 50M, a Big Game rifle to take game at long ranges, or an air rifle to shoot soda cans in the back yard, you still have to get a sight picture, breathing rhythm, trigger control, natural point of aim, and follow through to shoot well. Of the two you mentioned the PCP version would be my choice. I shoot a PCP Anschutz every day in training and as long as you have a good air supply (pump or tank) you can shoot consistently and accurately for a good while. Good luck.

Air guns and rimfire rifles are great and inexpensive ways to practice your fundamentals. No matter what kind of weapon you use whether it be an Anschutz rifle to hit an x at 50M, a Big Game rifle to take game at long ranges, or an air rifle to shoot soda cans in the back yard, you still have to get a sight picture, breathing rhythm, trigger control, natural point of aim, and follow through to shoot well. Of the two you mentioned the PCP version would be my choice. I shoot a PCP Anschutz every day in training and as long as you have a good air supply (pump or tank) you can shoot consistently and accurately for a good while. Good luck.

Practice is practice no mater what you shoot.

The rim fires are a great way to practice and they dont cost a lot. Air guns are the same but
even cheaper.

Lots of target shooters have two rifles built that are as near the same as possible except one
is a rim fire and they use it for most of there practice sessions.

J E CUSTOM

Practice is practice no mater what you shoot.

The rim fires are a great way to practice and they dont cost a lot. Air guns are the same but
even cheaper.

Lots of target shooters have two rifles built that are as near the same as possible except one
is a rim fire and they use it for most of there practice sessions.

J E CUSTOM
The nice thing about air rifles is that not only can you see the end result you can actually clearly see the flight of the projectile which is a very good education particularly for novice shooters.

The springer would not be a good trainer. The reverse recoil won't be useful. THe Marauder has a nice trigger, and aside from a lack of power (comparably), should do just fine for training. Lack of recoil, sound, and the rainbow and veiwable trajectory should be helpful.

I would go with the PCP. You will not have the double recoil that you get from a springer.

I have two PCP air rifles, both are air force condors .177 and .22 cal they have little to no recoil when set to lower power. I love to watch the pellet hit the target through the scope. The PCP might be a little more work but you will love them.

I have an HW97 and get way more practice because of it. No range fees, no driving and a 30 minute session only burns up $1 of components. The springers are touchy you have to be very consistant in your hold to get them to shoot well. I understand PCP's are much less touchy. For a training aid a very accurate gun that is also touchy regarding hold will lend to more consistant practice. Also if you make up a few Field Target style targets to knock over it is lots of fun. Set a couple at unkown yardages then move back and forth an unkown distance and work on your range adjustments. I set 2 about 15 yards apart and then move my shooting position across a range of 30 yards or so. Get everything from 20 yard shots to 50 yarders that way.

If you've seen "How to Shoot Beyond Belief" John Burns recomends the super accurate PacLite barrels on the hard to shoot Ruger and Browning .22 pistols. Do everything right and they will shoot bug holes, screw up a bit on your hold or trigger squeeze and you'll have a nasty flyer.

I would chose the springer. I have a Beeman R1 I have had since the mid 80's. It flat out shoots and the recoil is helpful to me in that it doesn't just sit there after the trigger squeeze. I use mine to shoot gophers in the yard and I get really upset when I miss because I know what the gun is capable of. Misses are my fault.
It teaches great technique. The trigger is very smooth and the recoil teaches good follow through.
Get a good scope and you can simulate your long range set up. I had one of the 22 bullet traps with the spinners in it so you could see your results.
Bottom line is they are a lot of fun and great practice. Also great to
Teach kids safe handling and effective shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.