Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

Fierce firearms 280Ai check them out start 1999.00 shoot dam good lightweight gun I own two that pic is not 100 yards it is 200 no joke I have 600 yard shot that are good too **** good hunting rifle

Attachments

• 5F24461C-B9CD-426C-8056-D63AD6FF967A.jpeg
    5F24461C-B9CD-426C-8056-D63AD6FF967A.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 260
You never said what you wanted this rifle for? Each rifle has its pros and cons. I own several savage rifles. 2- 12 F 's for benchrest shooting, a 110ba I use to use for long distance shooting, and could use for hunting or the zombie apocolips lol, and a savage 10.
All are great and each has its own place for use. The 12 f's we just upgraded. I did my own bedding, added new bolt faces, and benchmark barrels. They shoot 1/4 moa's all day and we shoot against custom rifles all the time. There's are $5000 and up, yet we keep on winning. Savage rifles are great for accuracy, cheep to upgrade, and barrel swaps can be done if you have a few tools and a little time.

Custom can mean two things....real pretty or real accurate. Sometimes you get both but the pretty thing is in the eye of the beholder.
It has been said " only accurate rifles are interesting"..... I agree.
I've seen dozens of pretty rifles that can't hold under an inch and I recently bought two rifles for under $300 that are amazingly accurate. Both Savage..one a hunting weight model 11 and the other a Varmint weight #12. Both in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are shooting under .75" consistently with just about anything I feed them. Not sure how Savage can build such accuracy for such short dollars.
For Semi-Custom, I own 6 Cooper Model 21 rifles. Every one of them are a tack driver and not bad on the eyes.
I have a Browning X Bolt that is also well under an inch gun in 270 that is not bad to loook at.
And my Ultra Light Arms is expensive, but weighs near nothing and will group in a 25 cent piece, also in 270
Lots of nice rifles out there, just depends on what you want.

I'm a hunter that also likes to target shoot with my rifles. Like so many others I want that do it all gun that can take deer one week and then head to the mountains for elk the next. I doubt I'll ever be shooting past 700 yards but if I had too I don't want to worry about it being able to do the job. Of course I need to work on my part in all of this as I continually do. Right now I'm leaning towards a 280 AI as it seems to fit the bill pretty closely.

Last edited:
I have a Christensen arms ridgeline 300 Win mag I shoot nosler factory 180 grain accubonds it shoots fantastic the shots to the top right were shot during breaking in then 3 dead center when I got able to shoot more than one shot before cleaning all at 100 yards

Attachments

• 5D84704D-01EA-43B7-971C-944484CA19E6.jpeg
    5D84704D-01EA-43B7-971C-944484CA19E6.jpeg
    778.1 KB · Views: 237
Don't see anyone mentioning Bergara. There's a lot of people on here that are getting .5 MOA with factory ammo in bergara rifles, especially chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. With handloads I've seen people getting around .3 MOA, and these are with sub $1000 guns. But I also have a Savage long range hunter in 7mm mag that shoots .5 MOA with handloads out of the box. My model 700 in .300 win mag shoots about .4 MOA but that's with a Timney trigger and an aftermarket bedded stock.

Just my 2 cents.

Got my son one for Christmas. Tremendous performance shooting factory ammo. Just sub MOA on a cold windy day when we were rushed to sight-in and shoot with temporary, high rings. I think we'll be able to improve this considerably next time.

I have a Christensen arms ridgeline 300 Win mag I shoot nosler factory 180 grain accubonds it shoots fantastic the shots to the top right were shot during breaking in then 3 dead center when I got able to shoot more than one shot before cleaning all at 100 yards
And they make a 280 AI, and just under 2K.....nice.

I recently went thru this odyssey myself as I wanted to build an elk rifle that isn't a tank. Started adding up components..... and ended up ordering a Steyr Pro Hunter in 300WM. Will add a muzzle brake and decent glass. I've got another one in .260Rem and it's a tack driver. A trigger that's decently adjustable, breaks like a dream, great action and of course, that properly hammer forget barrel, detachable mags that are of ample length to load your pills out far enough to touch the lands if need be. Stock works fine for me. Best bang for the buck going.

I blew through this BS thread, although I did notice a few good choices, scratch the Tikka, waste of time but that's just me.

what is your budget?
what is intended use for this rifle?
Heavy or light?
optics?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.