Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

slas

After reading all the posts/ads listing the multitude of beautiful custom rifles on this site a question came to mind. Since some of us have much more love than money to invest in our dream rifle I would like to get the experts advice and opinions:

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

In my feeble attempts to get close I've slowly, over time, purchased several rifles, Tikka, Remmington, Savage, and added pillars, bedding, new triggers, bottom metal, magazines, etc. But I know they're still not on par with a custom build, and never would be. Just curious which ones would get me closest, until I win that lottery.

After reading all the posts/ads listing the multitude of beautiful custom rifles on this site a question came to mind. Since some of us have much more love than money to invest in our dream rifle I would like to get the experts advice and opinions:

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

In my feeble attempts to get close I've slowly, over time, purchased several rifles, Tikka, Remmington, Savage, and added pillars, bedding, new triggers, bottom metal, magazines, etc. But I know they're still not on par with a custom build, and never would be. Just curious which ones would get me closest, until I win that lottery.

Wouldn't cooper, Kimber, and LAW meet that standard? They are all very nice.

My most recent attempt was on a Tikka Forest 260, I just like the wood stocks. I added stock and pillar bedding, replace the recoil lug, bottom metal (was plastic) and mag. Modified mag and bolt throw to use long loaded Berger 140's up to 3.0 COAL. Adjusted the trigger down and topped it with quality rail, rings and a Nightforce. Still breaking it in and experimenting with various loads but show's promising groups at 250 yard range (all I have at this time).

What other general upgrades could one do to improve it (outside things like barrel replacement)? Also, how does a properly bedded wooden stock with pillars compare to the higher dollar replacement stocks? It just seems like the wooden stock done right would have all the same advantages, and I wrong?

You should look into the Remington 700 5R Milspec rifles. I have one that shoots sub-1/4-minute groups with handloads. Accuracy-wise, it's doing better than what most custom manufacturers offer as a guarantee. It's a very nice rifle (factory triggers need replacing), but it's not as fancy as a custom rifle. But isn't accuracy what really matters the most?

If you want a mass-produced custom rifle, then the Christensen Arms Ridgeline with the carbon fiber wrapped barrels is a good one. They also offer it in .280 AI, 7mm RemMag, and .28 Nosler.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ucts_id/719021058/CHS+RDGLINE+7MMRM+26TB+CF+3

Based on what you have, the Tikka is the best candidate to be converted to a custom.......Tikka actions are sweet and 90%+ of the time do not need to be trued. From there, you just need to rebarrel (at the very least) and enhanced recoil lug, then possibly add a new stock (not required though). You can easily get a 1/2 MOA rifle off a Tikka.

I handled a Seekins Havak a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty nice. McMillan stock, spiral fluted barrel. Full custom look for less than full custom cost. Waiting for more reports to come in about them. Would consider one in 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Based on what you have, the Tikka is the best candidate to be converted to a custom.......Tikka actions are sweet and 90%+ of the time do not need to be trued. From there, you just need to rebarrel (at the very least) and enhanced recoil lug, then possibly add a new stock (not required though). You can easily get a 1/2 MOA rifle off a Tikka.
I'm still curious about my question above, what advantages does a new stock have over a properly bedded wood stock with pillars? I understand the advantages of a better barrel. I did already upgrade the recoil lug with titanium.

To answer your Stock question - Could have a number of advantages - weight, balance, feel/LOP, better cheek positioning (on a adjustable for instance) in scope, etc.

Custom doesn't automatically mean "better shooter".........the best technical shooters w/ an off-the-shelf Remington Sendero can outperform the normal joe (good shooter) with the best of custom rifles 90% of the time.

Composite stocks can lessen felt recoil when compared to wood. Composite stocks don't have a straight grain running the length of the rifle like wood and therefore can absorb some of the recoil.

Composite stocks can lessen felt recoil when compared to wood. Composite stocks don't have a straight grain running the length of the rifle like wood and therefore can absorb some of the recoil.
Understand. I guess if I was going with a larger caliber it would be more of an issue. I've been working on a Sendero SFII 300 wm also. It has the HS Precision stock and kicks pretty good. Unfortunately the recoil pad is not removable so I'm kind of stuck with it.

Last edited:
I handled a Seekins Havak a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty nice. McMillan stock, spiral fluted barrel. Full custom look for less than full custom cost. Waiting for more reports to come in about them. Would consider one in 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Wouldn't the seekins havoc be a custom? It's a Stiller predator action with a Mcmillan stock. When does it move labels from custom to factory?

They are very nice rifles though at a great price! Great example.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.