Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

Seems like most manufacturers have a "semi-custom" type rifle, in the $1500-$2000 price range in their lineup now. Christensen with the Mesa and Ridgeline, Browning with their X-bolt Pro, and Hells Canyon Speed variations, Remington with the Sendero, Etc. Haven't really heard anything bad about any of them recently.

I have a X-bolt Long Range McMillan on order, i'll let you know first impressions when I pick it up in the next few days.

Don't see anyone mentioning Bergara. There's a lot of people on here that are getting .5 MOA with factory ammo in bergara rifles, especially chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. With handloads I've seen people getting around .3 MOA, and these are with sub $1000 guns. But I also have a Savage long range hunter in 7mm mag that shoots .5 MOA with handloads out of the box. My model 700 in .300 win mag shoots about .4 MOA but that's with a Timney trigger and an aftermarket bedded stock.

Just my 2 cents.

Wouldn't the seekins havoc be a custom? It's a Stiller predator action with a Mcmillan stock. When does it move labels from custom to factory?

They are very nice rifles though at a great price! Great example.
These are the categories that I put rifles into based on the rifle's characteristics and level of work performed on the gun. Not all of these are what some might call "real" industry terms, this is just how I, personally, classify a rifle.

1) Factory - Untouched factory mass-produced action (Rem, Savage, Browning, etc...) and factory barrel that have never been separated before. Factory or aftermarket bolt-ons like triggers, bottom metal/DBM setups, and stocks don't really change the classification.

2) Semi-Custom - Blueprinted factory mass-produced action with hand-lapped & accurized factory barrel, or aftermarket barrel fitted & installed. You could also include special ordered factory custom shop rifles in this category as well.

3) Production Custom - Mass-produced rifle using all high-quality aftermarket or "custom" parts for every part of the gun, including the action, barrel, bottom metal/DBM, stock, trigger, etc...

4) Custom - A rifle built from parts you take to a gunsmith, and you dictate how you want every aspect of the gun built and in what caliber/cartridge.

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

Understand. I guess if I was going with a larger caliber it would be more of an issue. I've been working on a Sendero SFII 300 wm also. It has the HS Precision stock and kicks pretty good. Unfortunately the butt stock is not removable so I'm kind of stuck with it.

When I started my quest.......the one non-negotiable I wanted was a thread muzzle, I also kind'a wanted the "Tactical Bolt".
I bought the limited run Remington model 85197 for $789.00 it was the closest to custom that I could find, and Remington had some high rebates at the time.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2
I then bought several high quality muzzle brakes.

Last edited:
When I started my quest.......the one non-negotiable I wanted was a thread muzzle, I also kind'a wanted the "Tactical Bolt".
I bought the limited run Remington model 85197 for $789.00 it was the closest to custom that I could find, and Remington had some high rebates at the time.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2
I've got the older brother to that rifle, with the non-threaded 26" barrel. They're shooters. I also have the little brother to that in .308 Win with the 24" non-threaded barrel. Pretty soon they're both going to get taken to the smith for threading, and might as well have them blueprinted and bedded while they're already there. Thinking about turning the .300WM into a second .300 Ackley just like my other one, since I'm not a fan of .300WM.

I've seen two factory built Savage Custom Shop rifles. One was in 6BR and the other was either 22-250 or .223N.M. The factory proof targets were shot with Federal ammo, and they both shoot groups under .200". Both were three screw right bolt left port actions. Both by the way cost $1700 a piece.
gary

90% of a rifle's accuracy comes from a well made and properly fitted barrel. A good barrel will run $325 and up for the blank alone. Anything mass produced will always be a gamble on accuracy. When you can buy a rem 700 for 399.00 what kind of barrel do you think they put on it? If your talking factory it just a gamble, but Id lean toward tikka. Personally, I'd sell every gun I own if I had to to own one good one.

90% of a rifle's accuracy comes from a well made and properly fitted barrel. A good barrel will run $325 and up for the blank alone. Anything mass produced will always be a gamble on accuracy. When you can buy a rem 700 for 399.00 what kind of barrel do you think they put on it? If your talking factory it just a gamble, but Id lean toward tikka. Personally, I'd sell every gun I own if I had to to own one good one.

Agreed, btw I've said it before, but that rifle in your profile pic is gorgeous!

I tell you what, for an out of the box factory rifle, the Remington 700 sendero is extremely impressive. I've shot two of my buddies senderos one in 7 RM and one in 300 WM. They were both shooters and recoil was easily manageable for unbraked rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.