Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

How about asking the question differently. If I want to make a really cheap gun as accurate as possible, is it worth it to rebarrel, or restock? what bang do you get for the buck, and how much are you going to spend for nothing? For example, a ruger american in 30-06.

It's my opinion, that most are missing a vital category in custom rifles. All factory rifles are 1 size fits all, with a few exceptions offering minor adjustments or variables. As a custom rifle builder with my own shop 30+ years, and specializing in building custom high end, precision, and tactical bolt rifles, until becoming disabled & having to give it up, it was an essential part leading up to the build to discover the exact specs the shooter needed, and of the stock. I ALWAYS built the stocks to the exact length of pull, trigger reach, comb height, pad height, angle, and cast. Choosing the correct stock can make or break the entire build! Just because I'm crazy about beautiful walnut don't mean it cannot be used to hunt with! Your gunsmith can even machine a bedding block, & glass bed it in, and when coupled with a GOOD stock finish (including inside barrel channel & inletted action part) a properly dried & sealed wood stock can be depended on to hold zero. Anybody that isn't the fabled "average" size is always going to shoot a rifle built to their exacting specs better than standard factory specs that is a bit off. Naturally that's assuming they are advanced enough in skill/experience/knowledge to tell the difference. A custom rifle is also any weight, configuration, action, barrel brand, length, contour, quality, and chambered for whatever cartridge desired. It's MY opinion that all serious riflemen should have at least 1 custom rifle sometime in their lives! There are also all levels of budget custom rifles.

Thanks for the response. I am new to this, and want to learn by doing. Looks like the stock is a big part of the accuracy equation. The ruger seems to be an elegant design. with a proper muzzle brake, and the right chassis, maybe it can get me to a good start.

I have to agree with MedRunner2005 that the 5R MilSpec is a superb weapon out of the box. HS Precision stock (used by some law enforcement agencies) and the barrel in .308 caliber is out of the same batch of barrels the Remington custom shop uses for the M125 military sniper rifles except they may have had a minor flaw (cosmetic blemish so I am told) that they didn't want to use on the military rifle. The barrel is then recontoured to the varmint contour instead of the straight M125 contour and shortened to 24 inches. It is still a match grade barrel. I am not sure how much accurizing is done on the action but mine is definitely closer spec'd than factory stock 700 action. The only thing I added to mine was a Jewell trigger and an adjustable plastic cheekpiece. I have shot several 0.15 inch groups at 100 yards with Lapua brass, Federal 210M primers, Berger 175's and Varget powder in load testing. For $1100 spent three years ago (not including the Jewell trigger) that is the best bargain I have ever had.

After reading all the posts/ads listing the multitude of beautiful custom rifles on this site a question came to mind. Since some of us have much more love than money to invest in our dream rifle I would like to get the experts advice and opinions:

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

In my feeble attempts to get close I've slowly, over time, purchased several rifles, Tikka, Remmington, Savage, and added pillars, bedding, new triggers, bottom metal, magazines, etc. But I know they're still not on par with a custom build, and never would be. Just curious which ones would get me closest, until I win that lottery.

My experience with over the counter hunting rifles for long range has been great, although only built up two of them, both shooting 1/3 moa out to 800 yards, far enough to be, in my opinion, "Ethical" shooting distance. First was a 30 year old Weatherby Vanguard, second was a Browning A Bolt, both chambered in 7MM Rem Mag and used Berger VLD Hunting bullets. All I did was add quality triggers (2 lb) and worked up loads for each (2900 fps+/- using Retumbo), and added a decent scope (Huskemaw) with high quality bases and rings, basically rifles off the shelf. I may certainly take some heat for this post but am quite pleased with both these rifles. Nothing else done to them such as bedding or bolt work, just intense precise load development! Cannot say this could be repeated but would encourage anyone to go for it! You learn a whole lot about load development which is critical to any long range hunting rifle accuracy.

I did not read the entire thread, but hopefully someone brought up the Tikka T3x series. They have a rifle to fit every need specific need and general needs. The caliber choices are limited a little, but the main ones are covered. These are tack drivers with stock configurations possible.

My experience with over the counter hunting rifles for long range has been great, although only built up two of them, both shooting 1/3 moa out to 800 yards, far enough to be, in my opinion, "Ethical" shooting distance. First was a 30 year old Weatherby Vanguard, second was a Browning A Bolt, both chambered in 7MM Rem Mag and used Berger VLD Hunting bullets. All I did was add quality triggers (2 lb) and worked up loads for each (2900 fps+/- using Retumbo), and added a decent scope (Huskemaw) with high quality bases and rings, basically rifles off the shelf. I may certainly take some heat for this post but am quite pleased with both these rifles. Nothing else done to them such as bedding or bolt work, just intense precise load development! Cannot say this could be repeated but would encourage anyone to go for it! You learn a whole lot about load development which is critical to any long range hunting rifle accuracy.
Also have an A Bolt 7mm Rem Mag and the best I am doing is with Berger 180 hunters is 1 moa. Are you using 168's? Also of note, my Browning chamber is a "tight " chamber , meaning I cannot resize brass fired in my custom 7mm Rem Mag to be able to headspace in the Browning. I believe the base expands just enough on the custom fired brass that even full length resize does not allow the bolt to close on the A Bolt. Have to keep the brass separate, then no problems.

@slas have you checked the classifieds? There's a LAW 30-06 for sale and a seekins precision in .308 for sale. No affiliation with the sellers. Theres some cool Stuff in the classifieds.

The worse part of the Tikka is the Tupperware stock.... needs to be replaced by the owner with a bedded stock of choice.
Liking the less than 90* (70*) bolt lift, integral rail for scope rings and the stainless Sako barrel. butter smooth bolt. Rifle in 30 06 shoots <1"" easily and with some fine tuning near 5/8" @ 100. pretty nice for the price (which seems to have gone up in the last couple of years).

Fierce firearms Sako style action check out fierce on their Facebook page

Attachments

• 4DE4A596-64F9-483D-B85F-745F2644759A.png
    4DE4A596-64F9-483D-B85F-745F2644759A.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.