Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

What thermal did you decide on? Why this one? Are you going to put it on the Bushmaster? Love this,"News flash for all, you can not out run a hog".

Ha Ha, I hear you about standing still, "but" A moving target is harder to hit and playing chicken with a irate hog can get dicey. Having killed many with a bow moving is the only option if you don't want to get cut by those tusk. I prefer a rifle that will eliminate the need for a backup weapon.

I have had good luck with Turkey loads, but have not tried anything lighter for hogs. I have killed so many that the odds are getting worse And I have seen first hand, the results on some of my friends. Throwing the weapon down has never been an option anytime when facing something that wants to hurt you. And NO you cant outrun a hog.

J E CUSTOM
I know what you mean but the sad fact is, the closer they are, the easier it is to ensure a kill shot.

I try to avoid it but I've killed probably a couple of dozen of them with this method over the years. When quail hunting here where many years it seems we have as many or more hogs than , especially running German Shorthairs like we do we end up right in the middle of them a lot more often than most of us would like. Mind you, I don't do it by choice, it was a method borne of necessity. Even an ounce of 8's fired from a 28g at less than a foot is devastating no matter how big the hog is.

Given a choice I'll reach for the .41 mag, or 40 S&W for close work but often there simply isn't time.

The military developed some cube shaped tungsten pellets for breaching barriers and shooting through vehicle windshields and doors that were about a 1/4" cube that are absolutely devastating. They have 12 cutting edges plus all of the points on the corners. Not sure if they are available on the civilian market but if so they would be pure hell on hogs at short range.

The military developed some cube shaped tungsten pellets for breaching barriers and shooting through vehicle windshields and doors that were about a 1/4" cube that are absolutely devastating. They have 12 cutting edges plus all of the points on the corners. Not sure if they are available on the civilian market but if so they would be pure hell on hogs at short range.[/QUOTE]

I have also tried some Dead Coyote heavy shot in 3&1/2'' #4 Buck shot that worked well but have never tried the heavy shot in 000 or 00 buck.

J E CUSTOM

I have also tried some Dead Coyote heavy shot in 3&1/2'' #4 Buck shot that worked well but have never tried the heavy shot in 000 or 00 buck.

J E CUSTOM
I can't speak to steel or other non toxics from experience but about 20 some odd years ago I killed three huge sows with 000 Lead. I'd bought some specifically to carry along on bird hunts in case we jumped hogs and a client wanted to try and take one and I spotted a herd off the highway on a place I had access to. Being younger than I was smart I loaded up the .870 with five of them and took off stalking them in thick, shoulder high Johnson Grass alone with one dog.

We got within about 10-15 yards before they figured out we were there and I started with the biggest gal (well over 350lbs) with a head/shoulder shot as she faced us nearly head on. One shot put her down but did not finish her, both of her running mates took three shots. None ran over 200 yards and fortunately Rags didn't get cut up bad keeping number one busy. I finished her with a heart shot that produced about a 1" entry and an exit big enough to stick my fist through. That shot was fired at one or two paces.

It will get the job done but it's probably going to take more than one shot to kill a hog of any size in a self defense situation. For that, nothing works like a slug.

When you think about it you're better off with slugs anyhow at any range at which buckshot is going to be even moderately effective.

If you can still find anyone making them the hardcast 12g 1 1/2oz rifled conical slugs would be the most ideal.

I was watching"Pigman" the series shot with slow motion. They were using a Savage 300 Win. I guess with Hornady ammo. An average size hog was facing them at less than 100 yards. They fired hit the hog head on and the bullet glanced off at a 90% angle!!!! Now What? Dynamite!?!

One more Texas true to life legend. The Texas "Rhinos" Brutus, Fang, and now ol' iron skull. Who scoffed when someone mentioned a 600 nitro or maybe 1.5 ounce slugs. If this doesn't give you second thoughts about crawling into a cedar thicket after a ****ed of hog you are absolutely crazy. Need I remind you" There is no way you can out run a hog".

One more Texas true to life legend. The Texas "Rhinos" Brutus, Fang, and now ol' iron skull. Who scoffed when someone mentioned a 600 nitro or maybe 1.5 ounce slugs. If this doesn't give you second thoughts about crawling into a cedar thicket after a ****ed of hog you are absolutely crazy. Need I remind you" There is no way you can out run a hog".
I've never had one shuck off the 45-70 shooting 300-350gr bullets or a 12g rifled slug.:D

I'd give my left...ok maybe not that desperate yet but I'd really like to bag another one. One that would actually be considered big and to use my 338 on it.

I'd give my left...ok maybe not that desperate yet but I'd really like to bag another one. One that would actually be considered big and to use my 338 on it.
The problem with the big hogs like that is that they don't come along often and when they do you may only see them once.

They don't get old and big being stupid or easy to pattern.

I took a 200lb hog with my 338 lapua. Separated the spine from the head. Cut off the head with just a knife sawing through the soft tissues. It was cool