hogs are not a problem.

Ok I will stir the pot a little...... A friend from Colo gave me a package of pork cops from a couple hogs he and his son got in TX last month and I just finished one. Pan fried in a butter with Zatarans seasoning......steamed asparagus and mashed taters for sides. After eating it, I cant understand why there are all them hogs still running loose in TX!!! I would gladly trade some of these darn speed goats up here in WY for them tasty swine. I'll bet they would live on these prickly pear cactus that tend to be about everywhere I decide to sit down. I can just imagine what a 50 pounder would taste like slow roasted over charcoal.....mmmm

Ok I will stir the pot a little...... A friend from Colo gave me a package of pork cops from a couple hogs he and his son got in TX last month and I just finished one. Pan fried in a butter with Zatarans seasoning......steamed asparagus and mashed taters for sides. After eating it, I cant understand why there are all them hogs still running loose in TX!!! I would gladly trade some of these darn speed goats up here in WY for them tasty swine. I'll bet they would live on these prickly pear cactus that tend to be about everywhere I decide to sit down. I can just imagine what a 50 pounder would taste like slow roasted over charcoal.....mmmm

The hog problem is because they can breed so fast.

A breading par of hogs can have 12 to 18 hogs in a litter.

Within 4 months the litter can have there own litters of 12 to 18 because they tend to have equial
numbers of males and females the first litter can have 6 to 9 litters of 12 to 18 each =72 to 162
pigs + the breading pares 12 to 18. So in fore months you could have 180 new pigs.

In eight months that number can explode to 38 breeding pairs producing 684 new pigs, And on and on and on.

So no matter how many we kill they can out produce the hunting.

The only way we can hold our own is to mass trap them with very large traps several hundred feet square . there is a market in Europe for them if they are alive and some ranchers are trapping them to sell, others are selling hunts (Cheep).

So with proper conditions pigs can/do multiply like rabbets .

J E CUSTOM

The hog problem is because they can breed so fast.

A breading par of hogs can have 12 to 18 hogs in a litter.

Within 4 months the litter can have there own litters of 12 to 18 because they tend to have equial
numbers of males and females the first litter can have 6 to 9 litters of 12 to 18 each =72 to 162
pigs + the breading pares 12 to 18. So in fore months you could have 180 new pigs.

In eight months that number can explode to 38 breeding pairs producing 684 new pigs, And on and on and on.

So no matter how many we kill they can out produce the hunting.

The only way we can hold our own is to mass trap them with very large traps several hundred feet square . there is a market in Europe for them if they are alive and some ranchers are trapping them to sell, others are selling hunts (Cheep).

So with proper conditions pigs can/do multiply like rabbets .

J E CUSTOM

I'd like to know where you get cheep(cheap). Most hunts I looked at while in Texas were almost the same as for whitetail.

I'd like to know where you get cheep(cheap). Most hunts I looked at while in Texas were almost the same as for whitetail.

There have been hunts in the past offered on this site that all you paid for was the lodging, others that charged around $100.00 dollars a day and free lodging. that's pretty cheep compared to a white tail hunt.

There are some hunts that are more , but you just have to find the hunt in your price range.

Some ranches let you hunt hogs free if you ask them (But you have to find your own lodging).

J E CUSTOM

Good start. You're absolutely right about the calibre. 223 works fine on the small ones but when you get one of the big uns something that starts with a 3 works better. I have discovered they don't care much for my 7 mag either :)

That is exactly why they are such a problem. I always have a hard time listening to (some) folks complain about the pigs but at the same time charge $150 a pig plus $1 a pound past 100lbs. I know I'm not the only one who would love to help with the problem but at that price what would those 23 pigs I shot cost.
Same thing with these farmers in Michigan that collect tax dollars for crop damage from hundreds of deer but wont let anyone hunt them. I'm all for making money off these things and off anything people want. But I feel there is a way to help with the problem.

A neighbor of mine just told me of a hunt his son went on (This type hunt is own my bucket list)
and killed 119 hogs in 2 hours from a helicopter @ $300.00 an hour. The local ranchers funded the helicopter and the client paid for fuel and tips.

That's a lot of hogs for $600.00. he kept a few and donated the rest to charity and the ground crew
that picked them up.

If I can get more information I will post it.

J E CUSTOM

That is an absolute deal my brother and I are going to do that type of hunt in the next year or so. Now that farmer can not fall into the group of people I'm referring to.
I just get to hear this all the time from farmers hear in mich. They receive lots of money from our government that we pay for. Then they refuse to let ethical hunters help relieve the problem. All well continuing to complain about all the damage. These pig guys are worse they alow hunting but at a premium.
Sorry for the rant but this subject gets to me.

I've sat here and read the last few posts kicking farmers and I think I will give you a few examples from the other side of the fence. I speak for only for myself.

I used to let just about anyone who I thought was ethical hunt on my place and/or the 3500 acres that I control/lease and over the years here are a few of my experiences doing this;

Phone rings at 2 AM, it's the sheriff. "Hey Coy, you have cows on the hiway out by so and so's place." Sure enough he's right. Boy it's fun trying to get a herd of cows back in the middle of the night 2 miles from the gate that someone forgot to close. Their answer was, "well we were going to come back out the same way we went in but we decided that we would just go out the back way and we did not see any cows close to the gate when we went in." Just one example of many.

I lease for deer so why not hogs? Same thing all over again. Something about being dark seems to make people forget to close gates. Or "we knew we left it open but we were going to come back in the morning and close it." And my favorite was, "for the price you are charging us you can shut them yourself."

I shoot pistols a lot. I shoot with all branches of law enforcement, local, state and federal. I was approached by a DEA, CIA and a couple of more feds from New Mexico. Maybe for sure they can close a gate. I knew they could shoot so I thought little danger to my livestock. Before they start I mouth off and say calves are $800 and cows are $1200 just so you know and laugh saying it. Phone rings a little before 2:00 AM;

Them: " Hey, Coy where around close can you get beef processed?"

Me: "What do you mean beef?"

Them: "Well, we shot one of your calves."

Me: "How big?" I was thinking maybe a baby calf.

Them: "Probably 600 pounds."

Me: Long pause. "How long did it take you to get up enough courage to call me?"

Them: "Almost a hour and a half. Same guy shot it twice."

Me: "You have to be kidding. With a bolt action?"

Them: "Yes"

Me: "Do any of you guys know the difference between a calf and a hog?"

Them: "Click"

They paid for the calf and they are still paying for it because I've told that story a million times since then to everybody that will listen.

Times have changed. A neighbor let a church group camp out on his place and one of the kids got hurt. They sued him for medical bills and he paid to keep it out of court. This pretty well killed all the guest hunting around here. Some things are just not worth it!

"Let no good deed go unpunished"

In the past we let a few friends hunt deer, hogs, etc for free. The friend would come alone the first year then bring a friend the next. Pretty soon there were more of themmens than usens. It all came to a screeching halt when I arrived at our deer cabin late due to working a multiple fatality vehicle accident involving children. I went over to my bunk and removed a duffle bag I didn't recognize. Some dude I didn't know was setting at the table playing cards with three more dudes I had never seen before. He turned around in his chair a told me not to get too comfortable cause that was his bunk. Needless to say, the feces hit the oscillator. It is now immediate family only.

Coy I know what you are saying. I've had problems with hunter on my place and its not a farm. So there is no real good fix to it. And like everything there is two sides to every coin.

When I was a kid I could go to almost any rancher around where I grew up and ask for permission to hunt and would get it, I would pick up any trash I seen and if the fence was down I would fix it. I never had any problem with someplace to hunt, then over the years more and more people would go and hunt and leave trash everywhere, leave gates open and shooting things that they should not have shot. The ranchers decided that if they were going to do this that they being the hunters were going to pay for it. The hunters that did what they were supposed to do ended up paying for the idiots that have no respect for the land owners. That is a sad factbut is the price we as hunters have had to deal with.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.