hogs are not a problem.

When I was a kid I could go to almost any rancher around where I grew up and ask for permission to hunt and would get it, I would pick up any trash I seen and if the fence was down I would fix it. I never had any problem with someplace to hunt, then over the years more and more people would go and hunt and leave trash everywhere, leave gates open and shooting things that they should not have shot. The ranchers decided that if they were going to do this that they being the hunters were going to pay for it. The hunters that did what they were supposed to do ended up paying for the idiots that have no respect for the land owners. That is a sad factbut is the price we as hunters have had to deal with.

Well said, that is exactly what seems to happen everywhere.

I've sat here and read the last few posts kicking farmers and I think I will give you a few examples from the other side of the fence. I speak for only for myself.

I used to let just about anyone who I thought was ethical hunt on my place and/or the 3500 acres that I control/lease and over the years here are a few of my experiences doing this;

Phone rings at 2 AM, it's the sheriff. "Hey Coy, you have cows on the hiway out by so and so's place." Sure enough he's right. Boy it's fun trying to get a herd of cows back in the middle of the night 2 miles from the gate that someone forgot to close. Their answer was, "well we were going to come back out the same way we went in but we decided that we would just go out the back way and we did not see any cows close to the gate when we went in." Just one example of many.

I lease for deer so why not hogs? Same thing all over again. Something about being dark seems to make people forget to close gates. Or "we knew we left it open but we were going to come back in the morning and close it." And my favorite was, "for the price you are charging us you can shut them yourself."

I shoot pistols a lot. I shoot with all branches of law enforcement, local, state and federal. I was approached by a DEA, CIA and a couple of more feds from New Mexico. Maybe for sure they can close a gate. I knew they could shoot so I thought little danger to my livestock. Before they start I mouth off and say calves are $800 and cows are $1200 just so you know and laugh saying it. Phone rings a little before 2:00 AM;

Them: " Hey, Coy where around close can you get beef processed?"

Me: "What do you mean beef?"

Them: "Well, we shot one of your calves."

Me: "How big?" I was thinking maybe a baby calf.

Them: "Probably 600 pounds."

Me: Long pause. "How long did it take you to get up enough courage to call me?"

Them: "Almost a hour and a half. Same guy shot it twice."

Me: "You have to be kidding. With a bolt action?"

Them: "Yes"

Me: "Do any of you guys know the difference between a calf and a hog?"

Them: "Click"

They paid for the calf and they are still paying for it because I've told that story a million times since then to everybody that will listen.

Times have changed. A neighbor let a church group camp out on his place and one of the kids got hurt. They sued him for medical bills and he paid to keep it out of court. This pretty well killed all the guest hunting around here. Some things are just not worth it!

"Let no good deed go unpunished"

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm any more.

Some people seem to feel that they are entitled when they pay for a hunt and don't realize that they may hold there future and others in there hands, And don't treat the use of someone's land as a privilege.

It is great to have the confidence of the land owner that there land is in good hands and will be treated as well or better than he would. (This sometimes takes years and lots of effort but is
worth it).

In group hunts ,I hold other people in my group responsible for following the land owners
rules as a minimum and try to leave the land better than we found it (Much to there surprise sometimes)because it reflects on me.

Hunting, like gun ownership is a privilege and should be treated as such.

Sorry for the rant but stories like Coy's get me riled up when I hear of people shooting the wrong
thing or abusing the privilege of using others land.

J E CUSTOM

Re: hogs are not a problem. Pig hunters are the problem

have same problem here Urban yuppies who bought up old farms who complain of the damage, won't let a local hunt the property. However, the same yuppies have no problem inviting their friends up for a weekend of quad or snowmobile races on a neighbors field, after cutting fences or tearing down locked gates. or cutting fences to cross winter wheat or pasture land to get to landlocked federal parcels.

not to mention feeding bears and then screaming bloody murder when one decides to eat fluffy the poodle or help themselves to contents of cabin's (new McMansion) kitchen

or the doctor from Gary Indiana the visits a friend during pheasant season in Allegan county Michigan, crosses 2 Three strand barbwire fences, shoots a bird without a hunting licence. The Bird was guinea fowl, also hit was the barn 75 yds away, and the man spreading hay for the farmers cattle. They took 7 pellets out of my father's back.

I really under stand the farmer's view.

end of rant

Originally from area around Iron Mountain Michigan. Now in central west Michigan, where on summer weekends Illinois plate seem to outnumber Michigan Plates

Re: hogs are not a problem. Pig hunters are the problem

have same problem here Urban yuppies who bought up old farms who complain of the damage, won't let a local hunt the property. However, the same yuppies have no problem inviting their friends up for a weekend of quad or snowmobile races on a neighbors field, after cutting fences or tearing down locked gates. or cutting fences to cross winter wheat or pasture land to get to landlocked federal parcels.

not to mention feeding bears and then screaming bloody murder when one decides to eat fluffy the poodle or help themselves to contents of cabin's (new McMansion) kitchen

or the doctor from Gary Indiana the visits a friend during pheasant season in Allegan county Michigan, crosses 2 Three strand barbwire fences, shoots a bird without a hunting licence. The Bird was guinea fowl, also hit was the barn 75 yds away, and the man spreading hay for the farmers cattle. They took 7 pellets out of my father's back.

I really under stand the farmer's view.

end of rant

Originally from area around Iron Mountain Michigan. Now in central west Michigan, where on summer weekends Illinois plate seem to outnumber Michigan Plates

Walkingjay, I see you are from Michigan I live in the spring lake area. Have you seen any hog sign for yourself around Michigan. I keep hearing people say they are hear but I have yet to see anything when searching myself. One case was withing 20 miles of my house, apparently the pigs where getting crazy. One man said he killed 13 in one week but Boone else in the area has seen a thing. I have feeders everywhere and nothing on camera. With the way these things breed and the mild winters except this past year I would think we would have many more. Maybe all the small pieces of land and hunters keep them in check.

I've seriously checked on the area with most of the reported sightings (south of Scottsville), Posted land, NO Hunting, or leased to out of state/area hunters. They complain but. will allow nothing to be done about them. Many of the old farms have been subdivided as "hobby farms" to yuppies and nimbies. Until one of these things kills one of their children they will complain and allow no hunting. These are same type from Illinois or Milwaukee that feed the black bears in northern Wisconsin/Michigan and then complain when the summer house is raided or they lose a pet. They are there, but not in really large numbers and are being protected by anti hunting land owners (at least until something happens to them personally).

That's what I was wondering they should breed rapidly but seem to be really slowed by our winters cause the don't seem to spread. I did not know they were in that area I have a good friend whos father owns and farms 3000 acres between Scottsville Ludington and Pentwater. I know I can get permission to hunt there. I'll have to do some checking. Be cool if he had them I can go after them year round.

$160 for an out of state CA hunting license and another $80 for piggy tags =( Only place in NV to get them is Virgin Valley near Vegas so no thanks. If only they'd legalize wild horse hunting to curb their population =/

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.