Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

I plan to one of these days but it's quite an investment and I really hate putting a lot of money into anything that is electronic.

That and the limited use I'd get out of it, I live a good 45minutes to an hour away from our nearest property. Then again I might be more inclined to go out there if I had one.

That sounds like a great piece of equipment, But these Hogs are not something I choose to play with in the dark. In broad daylight this beast came hard for me. I cant imagine how that might have turned out if I had missed the shot in the dark.

Attachments

• 20161112_070219.jpg
    20161112_070219.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 102
  • 20161112_064009-1.jpg
    20161112_064009-1.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 104
Still like watching those. Sure could tell Franz wasn't doing the shooting.

I like to see what they are shooting and the results they are having. I also like the skill some have.

If you notice, the instant kills are normally large caliber rifles and the shot guns take more than one shot most of the time. (It is something for me to think about).

I also studied Franz and he was/is using a large caliber and a red dot site. Both make sense and with his skill it is a deadly combination.

I posted the last Video to show how mad they can get and there total lack of fear of humans. In some there were several attacks and you can see the hackles stand up on there backs.

J E CUSTOM

Looking back I think it was stupid for us to follow those wounded "Rhinos" into the cedar thickets in the middle of the night. You have proven to me that when threatened, they will attack and things get western in a hurry!!! Luckily the ones we found had expired. The Hornady 155 grain 308 HPBT did a pretty good job.

J E ,I was with you when it comes to using a 3.5 inch 12 with 00 buck for close quarters. However, after watching these videos its looks like they soak up two or three shots before dying. Maybe we should learn from Franz. I have put an EO Tech on my 3.5 instead of a red dot. Big upgrade. Love it. Now how about slugs?

J E ,I was with you when it comes to using a 3.5 inch 12 with 00 buck for close quarters. However, after watching these videos its looks like they soak up two or three shots before dying. Maybe we should learn from Franz. I have put an EO Tech on my 3.5 instead of a red dot. Big upgrade. Love it. Now how about slugs?

I have since switched to triple ought (000) and now I am wondering my self.

The times I have been charged by a wounded hog, the 3&1/2 00 worked but these were hogs that averaged 250 to 300 pounds and the bigger hogs were shot with the 7 STW and I didn't have to track them. I am thinking of my 338 RCM with 225 grain Bullets (Haven't tried it on hogs).

I just purchased a night scope and trying to decide what rifle I'm going to place it on because night shots are/may not be as well placed. As far as going after them at night when they don't hit the ground, I am rethinking that also.

J E CUSTOM

I have since switched to triple ought (000) and now I am wondering my self.

The times I have been charged by a wounded hog, the 3&1/2 00 worked but these were hogs that averaged 250 to 300 pounds and the bigger hogs were shot with the 7 STW and I didn't have to track them. I am thinking of my 338 RCM with 225 grain Bullets (Haven't tried it on hogs).

I just purchased a night scope and trying to decide what rifle I'm going to place it on because night shots are/may not be as well placed. As far as going after them at night when they don't hit the ground, I am rethinking that also.

J E CUSTOM
This may sound crazy but if you just stand your ground and don't panic it really doesn't matter what you are shooting. Remain calm and just step to the side when they get to the end of your barrel, put it behind the ear and pull the trigger.

Even bird shot does the job in those situations. As some of those videos show though a lot of guys panic when the hogs get close and do really stupid things like throwing down their gun and running.

Newsflash for all, you cannot outrun a hog!

This may sound crazy but if you just stand your ground and don't panic it really doesn't matter what you are sho<script id="gpt-impl-0.05001009154838387" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>oting. Remain calm and just step to the side when they get to the end of your barrel, put it behind the ear and pull the trigger.

Even bird shot does the job in those situations. As some of those videos show though a lot of guys panic when the hogs get close and do really stupid things like throwing down their gun and running.

Newsflash for all, you cannot outrun a hog!

Ha Ha, I hear you about standing still, "but" A moving target is harder to hit and playing chicken with a irate hog can get dicey. Having killed many with a bow moving is the only option if you don't want to get cut by those tusk. I prefer a rifle that will eliminate the need for a backup weapon.

I have had good luck with Turkey loads, but have not tried anything lighter for hogs. I have killed so many that the odds are getting worse And I have seen first hand, the results on some of my friends. Throwing the weapon down has never been an option anytime when facing something that wants to hurt you. And NO you cant outrun a hog.

J E CUSTOM