1000 POUND HOGS--- Yes they are out there

GEO, for hogs you'd be much better off with the Partition, Accubond, Interbond, or Interlock.

If you like I will have some samples of the Peregrine Bullets in soon and I could get you some of them. They are monolithic "red copper alloy" which is softer than brass but don't copper foul as bad as the pure copper bullets I've tried.

+1
Also a lot of good Post an stories . Thanks for sharing WildRose.

J E CUSTOM

Our hogs down here in South Texas must not be nearly as tough as some of these y'all are talking about! We've killed 100s and 100s and 100s of them over the last 30+ years on the country where I run my Hunting Operation with all types of deer rifles, as well as with a bow as the one I posted earlier in this thread(attached again). Obviously, if possible, they're shot in the ear or somewhere in the head, but that's not usually the case, especially with the kids that hunt with me.....they're usually shot square in the shoulder...DRT! I shot one a little over 300 yds a couple of years ago with one of my 280s and a Barnes 120 gr TSX at a little over 3,000 fps..... shot him in the point of the front shoulder while he was looking at me and it exited the rear hip and jellied everything in between.....he never took a step, dropped in his tracks. When I was younger, in the "Wild Days" in South Texas, we hunted them a couple times a week at night with dogs and used only .22s or a knife to kill them after the dogs took them down.....pretty rough on dogs! And this year we'll probably kill another 30-50 with anything from bow to 243 to 300 WM. They're not that hard to kill.....Not Ours Anyway!
Head/neck shots don't take much. I've killed some pretty big hogs with the .204 Ruger shooting them head on or behind the ear. Only the big old boars are a challenge and then if you avoid the shield it still doesn't really take anything special.

I always wanted to get clients to take the shoulder shots on big hogs though simply because nothing runs far or fights much if you can break the upper legs/shoulder and if you're low the heart is gone, if you are high the spine is gone.

Most of them I have shot the last few years I shot with An AR using the Federal M855 or Barnes Vor-TX ammo. I'm not generally a big fan of Barnes Bullets but the Vor-TX ammo impressed me.

+1
Also a lot of good Post an stories . Thanks for sharing WildRose.

J E CUSTOM
You're also on that list if you'd like to try them. I think you know how to find me but either GEO or Mario can give you my cell number.

I've talked them into sending me quite a few samples starting with 7mm and .30 caliber projectiles on the promise that I would share them with other LRH members who I can count onto give good public feedback on them and know enough about reloading to be sure the feedback is as accurate as possible.

Man that small part of me wishes we had a hog problem so I wasn't so bored waiting for deer season. Lol
The great thing about Texas hog hunting is there is no closed season, no tags, no limit no problem and in some areas the hog problems are so bad that land owners will charge little or nothing for the hunts.

I've known of some over the years that had bunkhouse accommodations on the ranch and only charged people enough to basically cover the cost of meals and paying a gal to come in and clean the bunkhouse change/clean linens and such.

WildRose thank you for the offer. However, I am not able to go enough that I would be a good test subject. I rely on you and J E to help me along. I would like to try it when proven. For now I thought I would go with the 210 LRA in the 300 RUM and 190 grain Remington SP in the AR. I will also try the Barnes Vor-TX. Thanks.

These are not wives tales, however, they are legendary. along the Blue River in southern Oklahoma a gentleman shot an eleven hundred pound beast. The head was mounted and hangs in the gas station on I35 Lake Texoma Dam exit. The head appears to be three feet long. Now back to central Texas. This next one my brother caught on his game camera. Look at the shoulders!!!! Then look at the tusks!!! You sure you want to go into a cedar thicket after this? My brother named him "Fang" and this is where I started calling them the Texas"RHINOS". Last but not least is "BRUTIS MAXIMUS". A professional trapper estimated him at over one thousand pounds.The rancher who's property we hunted told us about this one and showed us the trap. About a year and a half ago he was checking his cows when he pulled up on some hogs. One was huge. He pulled out his 30/30 aimed at the head and squeezed. The giant fell. He drove up, got out of the truck and saw blood on the forehead of his trophy. He got back in the truck to call his wife for pictures and the beast jumped up and disappeared. BRUTIS had not been seen until about a month ago. He was having so much trouble with hogs he hired a professional trapper. This guy pulls in with a custom built triple x strong trap. This trap has cameras and an electronic door. It alerts him on his cell phone when hogs have entered. Well the cell alarm goes off and he drops the door on BRUTIS. BRUTIS bashed that trap from every angle. Bloody but not beaten he went to a corner. Here he began to root with that massive snout. He finally got that snout under the corner post. With unbelievable strength he lifted and bent one quarter of that trap. BRUTIS, FANG, THE RHINOS remain at large.
People really can't fathom the strength of hogs especially when it comes to lifting.

We had a pretty skinny sow when I was young that was around 300lbs. We had a six foot long, four foot wide self feeder/creep feeder that was home made out of heavy treated oak that weighed considerably more than she did when it was empty.

The feeder had run dry and I watched her get her nose under one end of it and flip it straight up on end with one quick motion.

I know you keep joking about Rhinos but that move still reminds me of watching a video of two bull rhinos fighting watching one of them flip the other over from the side in similar fashion.

Pound for pound I don't know of any animal stronger. They can tear up more stuff on a farm or ranch faster than a drunk on a small dozer.

Hogs, " can tear up more stuff on a farm or ranch than a drunk on a small dozer." Still grinnin'. Someone find us another giant!
If I can get them to come over to my place I've seen a big herd on one of my neighbors several times recently and there's at least four really large hogs in there at least the size of your big sows so you might get a call to come give me some help on them. One of them is definitely a big boar and is probably the largest hog I've seen in five years. He's a good bit bigger than the one I sent you the game cam shots of a couple of years back and that was a big hog.

Third times the charm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 151
Found this hog waler while leading some cows off and away from the area we were bull dozing Friday evening. it appears to be between 5-6 ft long and over a foot deep. There was rubbing on near by trees 2-2.5 ft up. I can't get it to upload

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.