1000 POUND HOGS--- Yes they are out there

Thanks TX. Yes sir, how would you like to bump into one of those at night in a cedar thicket? J E what is your best guess as to caliber and bullet. Like you said it hammered them. When the bullet passed through it looked like an explosion. What caliber and bullet do we have that would relate?

Bumping into one like that at night wouldn't be pleasant. During the day, bring it!

A large boar with long cutters is something I'd really like check off my list. I think the euro mounts of them look pretty sweet.

9mmX62 Mauser no wonder he was stomping those hogs. Now I see why he had a bloody nose. The 9 shoots a 286 grain bullet with 3500 foot pounds. TX I am with you. I think we would all love to have a trophy like that. I have a silencer in jail and I am getting a DPMS 308 set up for the next hog hunt. Do ya'll have a suggestion on factory ammo that has a great bullet that will get the job done?

If they're still available-the 200 grain Nosler Accubond used to be a factory load.

Don't have a .308, but that bullet has worked well for me over a variety of velocities.

9mmX62 Mauser no wonder he was stomping those hogs. Now I see why he had a bloody nose. The 9 shoots a 286 grain bullet with 3500 foot pounds. TX I am with you. I think we would all love to have a trophy like that. I have a silencer in jail and I am getting a DPMS 308 set up for the next hog hunt. Do ya'll have a suggestion on factory ammo that has a great bullet that will get the job done?

I would recommend any bonded bullet or partitioned bullet in 150 to 170 grain weights. More weight would be ok but velocity loss would be great in the 308 ARs.

The 308 should drop them with the right bullet. This is a case of bigger is better if you want to hammer them. (Like in the video). so far, for all round use on hogs, my 7 STW with 160 grain Accubonds works the best. In my AR 15, I like the 450 bushmaster with 250 grain bullets.

I know there are more cartridges that will do the job, These are just My favorites without getting stomped by the rifle. My 416 has taken down 4 with one shot and the STW has taken 5 (My record)
When I could get them to line up for that shot.

We don't have the open country to keep shooting and one or two shots are the norm, so we bait so
they will line up and we can kill more. There are so many now, we don't sport hunt anymore (Even though it is fun).

J E CUSTOM

Yes sir that has to be a record. Five with a single shot. What size are these hogs?

They ranged from 80 pounds to 300. I like to dump some core in a straight line back to my blind so they will line up.

They will stand shoulder to shoulder crowding each other and you can kill as many as the bullet can go through. I was going to try my 50 BMG to see if I could up the numbers, but sold it when our range banned to 50 cal from the range.

FMJs will penetrate more but the hogs go to far to find them. I tried some Armor piecing 30/06 and don't know for sure how many they went through.

I will try my 416 next with some 400 grain solids and see what they will do. I also bought a Go pro
and hopefully the next time can show the set up and the end results.

J E CUSTOM

Yes they exist but are as rare as any other "monster" of any species.

In the early nineties we had one killed in Throckmorton county that was documented at over 1,000lbs. It made the local paper as well as several major papers within the state. They took out a winch truck to pick him up and weighed him on a certified scale. I can't remember his exact weight but it was over 1,100lbs. I only know of one other boar successfully hunted and killed (direct knowledge) in this size range and it was killed in the same county in 96/97. I actually saw him a half dozen times when we were quail hunting but there was no possible way to even attempt to get him killed with shotguns and my handgun because he was always better than 200yds off when we saw him. I told the land owner about him and he had a client drooling to kill a really big hog and he successfully did so taking him a few weeks later.

Until the mid to late nineties feral hogs were fairly rare in the county but there was a semi loaded with hogs that turned over in the mid seventies from which over half escaped that interbred with Russian boar that had been intentionally released on several ranches in the state including a couple in the area circa late 1,800's/early 1900's.

Personally I participated in the successful hunt and killing of one that weighed 870lbs in 92 just northeast of Ft. Griffin and I spent 3 years trying to kill one that was considerably larger but I could never get within 600yds of him when he was on our property. Apparently he knew he was well protected as they did not allow any hunting on that ranch because he was never bashful about feeding in their wheatfields in broad daylight.

Eventually he got into a large hog trap and was poached by someone shooting him from the road. Unfortunately the trap wasn't checked for several days and he had been eaten on by the rest of the hogs also trapped so there was no way to get decent pictures or anything like an accurate weight.

Here in my county the hog population was seriously reduced for about five years after the largest ranch in the county hired a dozen of us to kill them from helicopters along with intensive trapping throughout the county but the population is making a good recovery so I'm starting to see them in good numbers again although not with great frequency. In the last couple of weeks though I have bumped into a large herd of them with at least six really big hogs and hopefully I'll catch them on the right place at the right time before long and I'll see if I can get some pictures of a really big hog.

Really big though is going to be in the 500-600lbs range but give it a few more years and we may start finding some extremely large hogs again.

I'm not sure about 1,000lbs either but that's a big sum b*tch!!!
If it's not photoshopped I'd sat that hog is probably is easily over 1,000lbs, probably in the 1,200-1300lbs.

They are much more densely bodied than cattle so you can closely estimate weight based on body length.

A boar standing next to a cow of the same length using tail to point of shoulder length will usually weigh 20-30% more than the cow.

Maybe there are more of these huge " Rhinos" out there than we think? Comparing the Oklahoma hog and the Ranger hogs we shot to the video hogs. The video hogs looked like they had a lot of European influence. The long snot, heavy hair and ridge back. The hogs we shot looked more domesticated. Has it just been bred out of them? Are there hogs in Texas or back east or maybe Florida that still have this rugged wild look?
In 95 I was guiding a hunt about 15 miles east of town here with a wonderful newly retired couple from Chicago. The man had been a partner in the world's largest accounting firm and they had not had a lot of vacation time during his working years so they were basically scratching off their "bucket list" which had been accumulated over 30 some odd years.

One of the dogs had disappeared for a few minutes and I suggested he head over in that direction and see if the dog was on point.

He quickly dropped out of sight in the draw and a few seconds later he came screaming back out of the daw minus his shotgun obviously in a panic. I hollered "what wrong" and without slowing down he managed to get out "It's a ****** Rhino".... .

About that time comes a huge boar with a dog in pursuit right behind him which the other dogs rapidly jumped in on. I then always carried a 12g, a .44mag, and slugs for the shotgun with me and after a few seconds discussion gave the man my shotgun loaded with slugs and while the dogs had him bayed up he was able to get two solid hits in the shoulder which put him down immediately from about 10 yds out.

That boar weighed just over 600lbs and it took us a tractor to get him loaded on a flatbed pickup.

In all my years of guiding that hunt stands out as one of the top 5 for pure comedy.

I know I am probably being a nuisance by posting all of the Videos of hog hunting, but this one is of a guy that makes running shots look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLy3DE6OvI0

Enjoy

J E CUSTOM
I had the pleasure of being invited on several hunts when I was stationed in Germany. I remain in awe of anyone who can handle running shots in timber with that kind of ease.

I make a lot of running shots on coyotes and hogs but they are almost always in open wheatfields or CRP. When there's trees involved I'm probably less than 1 for five attempts usually involving multiple shots and multiple holed mesquites.:)

I was a little disappointed in the 230 Berger. The hog at 226 yards was hit in the rear ham. It spun him 270 degrees, killed him within about 50 yards, but did not exit. The bullet at that range was traveling 2731 fps and hit him with 3810 ft-lbs. Unthinkable. Soaking up that kind of energy and kept on truckin'.
GEO, for hogs you'd be much better off with the Partition, Accubond, Interbond, or Interlock.

If you like I will have some samples of the Peregrine Bullets in soon and I could get you some of them. They are monolithic "red copper alloy" which is softer than brass but don't copper foul as bad as the pure copper bullets I've tried.

Yes it's more than enough to put down any pig at that distance. Remember it's balisticly identical to a 45-70 and those have killed every large animal on the face of the earth even water buffalo and Cape buffalo which are ten time tougher than any pig. Pigs are tough but not some mythical creature. Yes they take some shots and tend not to leave a blood trail but they do die easy. If you want drt shoot for the neck or they will run just like a deer or anything else. But I've moved back to a 300blk for almost all my pig slaying and it has been just fine on the past 20-30 hogs all dead very fast. Bullet selection is very important. Barnes or cutting edge or hammer and they will die.
It's really not the hide that's the problem its the shield which starts just behind the shoulder and runs across the front of the chest. It's thickest right over the shoulders and on the big boars it can be 4" thick or more and it's made of cartilage.

Some of the boars we've killed over the years had bullets, bird shot, buck shot even broad heads buried in the shield that had been there for years. One I killed back in the nineties had two thirty caliber bullets, probably from a 30-30 or M1 Carbine, buck shot, and two smaller bullets buried in his. One was still pussey from abscessing but it didn't slow him down any.

If you can't put it in the brain or spine just behind the neck with most bullets you're better off going for a classic "heart lung shot" shooting just behind the crease of the leg/chest.

On any of them over a couple of hundred pounds though if you don't break the shoulders or interrupt the CNS they can run a long ways even with the heart and lungs liquified.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.