1000 POUND HOGS--- Yes they are out there

I would have just got my pictures, taken the head and not let the rest of it lay for the buzzards and coyotes.
Even the big one's if you quarter them out, bone out the rest and let it sig in cold brine water for 24-48hrs before processing it can still be made to taste and smell pretty good.

Our guys up here do wonderful things with the ham's too. It's a little heavy on the salt part of the salt curing but once they get done with smoking them I cut them up into smaller hams, save half for sandwiches etc and the other half we'll tak and just throw into a pot of pinto beans and cook the ham IN the beans.

I donated a bunch of it, about 8 gallons worth the a couple of small churches here last year and even more to a buddy in Denver who's church feeds several hundred homeless people every day. He said he'd never seen them more appreciative and complimentary.

While I have never shot a 1000 lb hog the largest was 531#. The main caliber's I use are .17HMR suppressed, 223 suppressed, crossbow, and occasionally 308 when I'm sitting out on the fields shooting at longer range 300-500 yards.
I take head, ear, eye, neck shots on hogs and they are DRT. Crossbow is into the heart lung and all only go 50 yards max.
While I will never begrudge a shooter choosing whatever caliber they want, I see no reason to buy into the fad calibers when I can use a 17 HMR or 22LR 50 yards away and make DRT kill shots for $.05-.22 per shot. Now if I'm not meat hunting and in eradication mode then I bust out the 223 and spray and let run away for the turkey vultures, yotes and fox to feast away and then hunt them at night.
For me, 458 is a dick measuring contest caliber and way overrated. In real world it is a mortar and all my friends that brag on its accuracy change their tune out in the field when they miss everything. Look at the ballistics. how much drop at 100-300 yards. My 50 cal muzzle loader has better ballistics with 300gr load then the 458 socom.

While I have never shot a 1000 lb hog the largest was 531#. The main caliber's I use are .17HMR suppressed, 223 suppressed, crossbow, and occasionally 308 when I'm sitting out on the fields shooting at longer range 300-500 yards.
I take head, ear, eye, neck shots on hogs and they are DRT. Crossbow is into the heart lung and all only go 50 yards max.
While I will never begrudge a shooter choosing whatever caliber they want, I see no reason to buy into the fad calibers when I can use a 17 HMR or 22LR 50 yards away and make DRT kill shots for $.05-.22 per shot. Now if I'm not meat hunting and in eradication mode then I bust out the 223 and spray and let run away for the turkey vultures, yotes and fox to feast away and then hunt them at night.
For me, 458 is a dick measuring contest caliber and way overrated. In real world it is a mortar and all my friends that brag on its accuracy change their tune out in the field when they miss everything. Look at the ballistics. how much drop at 100-300 yards. My 50 cal muzzle loader has better ballistics with 300gr load then the 458 socom.

The reason some choose the larger caliber, is the hunting conditions not the size of the hogs.

I have killed hogs with calibers from 17 to 416 and have had nothing but bad results with calibers smaller than 25 caliber. all the hogs died, but the ones that were running (After the first shot this is the case, and head shots are out most of the time) with the small caliber rifles had to be tracked
to find them.

The standing still shots will fall to almost any well placed shot with almost any cartridge. But after that they are running and it is a different thing all together, hence the need for some knock down power.

Where I hunt, we try to kill as many as possible and do not allow "Spray and pray" because of the surroundings. so we can take a small caliber rifle and kill one or maybe two., Or take a larger caliber
and kill 4 or 5 with 4 or 5 well placed shots even though they are running. the most I have killed this way was 7 with a 7 STW and when we can line them up we try to kill as many as we can with the first shot. The most I have killed with them lined up was 5 with the first shot.

As I said, I have shot hogs with a 17 HMR if they were standing as still as they normally do at
100+ yards, but if I have to track a wounded hog I opt for a much larger caliber with tons of stopping power.(Something like a .44, 45, caliber or a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge with buck shot for close end work and safety.

The only time I will use a 22 rim fire is when we dispatch them in a hog trap and a ear shot is easy
and safe.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

TX did they give any info on that monster. There is a time and place for all calibers. We were guests for one night and given the task to kill as many "FACTORIES" as possible. Instead of sitting in a blind or the edge of a field killing one hog we chose to cover the whole 1000 acres. When you pull up on them at night they do not run but become very nervous. Therefore, no head shots. When you shoot even with a silencer they scatter. The second and third shots are just hit them anywhere. That is where the 308,458,600 or whatever you have that will take down a gut shot hog as soon as possible. The large calibers would have allowed humane kills and helped us to quickly find more hogs. I would not want dead hogs laying all over my property so we tried to clean up. We wanted to show these to the land owner to prove we were safe and effective. Hopefully we will get invited back.

TX did they give any info on that monster. There is a time and place for all calibers. We were guests for one night and given the task to kill as many "FACTORIES" as possible. Instead of sitting in a blind or the edge of a field killing one hog we chose to cover the whole 1000 acres. When you pull up on them at night they do not run but become very nervous. Therefore, no head shots. When you shoot even with a silencer they scatter. The second and third shots are just hit them anywhere. That is where the 308,458,600 or whatever you have that will take down a gut shot hog as soon as possible. The large calibers would have allowed humane kills and helped us to quickly find more hogs. I would not want dead hogs laying all over my property so we tried to clean up. We wanted to show these to the land owner to prove we were safe and effective. Hopefully we will get invited back.
Day, Night, whenever, if one of them starts squealing from being wounded things can get awfully exciting in a hurry.

I was more after the platform essentially a semi auto 45-70. I know it drops like crazy. Then again I know it's not meant for long range
Yep, it was a purpose built cartridge and flat shooting wasn't part of the package.

Of course, the 45-70 isn't either but in for it's intended purpose it too is extremely effective. For big hogs at short range it's still one of my favorites.

Found this on Facebook it was killed in south Texas

Third times the charm

Not picking on you, TXAoudadKlr, but making a general statement here about internet imagery...

Did you ever notice all the claims being made about unusual kills seem to be void of anything identifying the kills as to where they are from, sort of like the pic of the mountain lion chasing the hog that has been attributed to virtually every southern state in the US? It was a cropped game camera image, the time stamp having been stripped and so it gets recycled every so often and folks don't realize it is years old. Notice you don't see a Texas license plate on the truck. Notice no people are shown. I would guess that it is a South American image. I have seen similar images from Brazil and Argentina.

In fact, doing a Google image search reveals the image is from here...
Mais javalis gigantes em cima da Serra - Variedades - Correio dos Lagos

State of Santa Catarina
Brazil

So not a south Texas hog.

Never thought about Argentina and Brazil having big hogs. I guess sailors hundreds of years ago carried them on their ships and spread them around the globe?

Never thought about Argentina and Brazil having big hogs. I guess sailors hundreds of years ago carried them on their ships and spread them around the globe?
The Spanish Explorers carried pigs and chickens with them on their ships and the Portuguese carried the same along with goats.

Some of the Spanish may have carried goats as well but I remember discussing the fact the Portuguese carried them in history class because some of the drawings depicting their explorations showed some.

Pigs and chickens have been in "The New World" for as long as the Spanish have been exploring it.

Not picking on you, TXAoudadKlr, but making a general statement here about internet imagery...

Did you ever notice all the claims being made about unusual kills seem to be void of anything identifying the kills as to where they are from, sort of like the pic of the mountain lion chasing the hog that has been attributed to virtually every southern state in the US? It was a cropped game camera image, the time stamp having been stripped and so it gets recycled every so often and folks don't realize it is years old. Notice you don't see a Texas license plate on the truck. Notice no people are shown. I would guess that it is a South American image. I have seen similar images from Brazil and Argentina.

In fact, doing a Google image search reveals the image is from here...
Mais javalis gigantes em cima da Serra - Variedades - Correio dos Lagos

State of Santa Catarina
Brazil

So not a south Texas hog.

Didn't look that closely at the picture, just took the description as fact and didn't think much about it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's a recycled picture being used on the might interweb and social media. I never though much about people not being in the picture because I've killed stuff by myself and just snapped a picture of the animal as my only option for pictures.

J E, I am still thinking about that world record of yours. Five hogs with one shot. Amazing. Can't believe you could ever catch them still enough to do this. What happened to my ego blowin' videos? You cutting me some slack. TX, I love huge hogs period. Does not matter where their from. Surely one of you young computer, facebook pros can find us a few more. Thanks.

J E, I am still thinking about that world record of yours. Five hogs with one shot. Amazing. Can't believe you could ever catch them still enough to do this. What happened to my ego blowin' videos? You cutting me some slack. TX, I love huge hogs period. Does not matter where their from. Surely one of you young computer, facebook pros can find us a few more. Thanks.

It is not a world record, but it is my best and I am going to change/improve it if I can. A good friend and I are trying some different ammo and we are going to test it on wet magazines to find out if the penetration how much better they are than conventional bullets.

We are going to pull some 30/06 M2 AP (Black tips) and load them in a 300 RUM to about 3400 to 3500 ft/sec velocity instead of 2700 in the 06 where they penetrated 1" steel plate. it should be interesting. I also have some 425 grain hand turned bullets for my 416 that I can get 2700 ft/sec out of that should work if the 300 RUM loads don't work.

As you can tell, I am really mad at the hogs and the problems they are causing so I want to thin them even more.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.