Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

I carry a DPMS LR 308 when I'm stalking them, and my backup is a red hawk 44 magnum....They are dangerous... Basically that's all I hunt with for those toothy critters...When I'm cleaning some ranches I use my Savage 308 where I have long shots... but around gullies the D rifle with a 20 rd mag...and my 44... you never know how many are coming out of the brush and once you hit one, its anybody's guess what's gonna happen...

Don't forget about mice. If you step on them wrong they might bite your toe! Really dangerous animals. I carry a backup to my backup in 44 mag loaded with rat shot. Never know what might happen. Yep, I reckon mice are as dangerous as hogs

Don't forget about mice. If you step on them wrong they might bite your toe! Really dangerous animals. I carry a backup to my backup in 44 mag loaded with rat shot. Never know what might happen. Yep, I reckon mice are as dangerous as hogs

Wear steel toed boots for the mice....:D

domestic hogs will eat you if given the chance

wild hogs are probably the most dangerous animal in the eastern woods. Get between them and their escape path and you can get slashed. Get between a sow and her piglets and you could have problems. Wounded and headed in your direction. You better climb a tree.

So how does the 300 Blackout stack up as a hog round?

I'll be doing a hog hunt in Florida next week and plan on taking out an AR in 300 Blackout shooting Barnes 120gr TTSX bullets. Hogs will be in the 100-300lb range.

I've used a 45-70 in the past on a couple NC hogs a few years back when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Garrett Hammerheads are great hog medicine but I had one run off after breaking both shoulders. Tough animals.

I hear about all the rifles that are used to hunt hogs and just wanted to pass this along.

First I can attest to the fact that they can/are dangerous having been charged many times
by wounded hogs. I prefer to use a heavy load of shot from a 12 gauge for protection.

No matter what you shoot them with, If they are not dead don't go looking for them without
something that you can hit with close and fast.

I gust got an E Mail of a guy that was tracking a hog after it was poorly shot with a 300 win mag.

The hog surprised him and 57 stitches worth of cuts all over him someone finally killed the hog.

I would post the pictures but I,m not sure he would like that.

With the regular hunting seasons not far away I just wanted to remind everyone to be carefully,
Pigs are dangerous.

J E CUSTOM
Absolutely right. This is what large caliber handguns loaded with deep penetrating rounds are made for. As a rule, if we have to go after one i'll be in the lead either carrying the 870 express maxed out with ammo and one ready in the pipe or the handy little M1A with heavies. Boars or Bears, it's a rapid fire close in stoppe.

I saw a 100 pounder take one hell of a beating last season. I felt no danger from that one but those "rhinos" definitely help me justify the need for my 458 Socom when going through the woods.

I saw a 100 pounder take one hell of a beating last season. I felt no danger from that one but those "rhinos" definitely help me justify the need for my 458 Socom when going through the woods.
The biggest danger from single hogs is just getting your legs broken and slashed. A big boar's tusks have the chisel edge which is often a half inch or more and just as sharp as a wood chisel but even the long front edge can be quite sharp as well. The bottom tusk rubbing against the upper tusks sharpens them and limits their maximum length.

Even a domestic sow or board over 300lbs can snap your leg like a toothpick simply br running into you by accident and in the wild, the boars are excellent and well practiced slashers and hookers.

Yes sir, WildRose is right, they sure are dangerous..... I saw one that got hit in the left front shoulder straight on, with a 270 at 125 yds, and the bullet exited the right rear leg.... a gaping wound all the way threw, and it ran 100yds in the brush. If you're sitting in a stand at night and a sounder shows up; and you wack one .... If it runs into woods' be dang careful cause the rest of those hogs seem to stay around just outside of your sight, and you can hear them grunting and clickin their teeth.... lol I love this stuff. Of course before we go in after a wounded one; out comes the 870's with the coyote 00 nickle plated stuff..... head lights too

Yes sir, WildRose is right, they sure are dangerous..... I saw one that got hit in the left front shoulder straight on, with a 270 at 125 yds, and the bullet exited the right rear leg.... a gaping wound all the way threw, and it ran 100yds in the brush. If you're sitting in a stand at night and a sounder shows up; and you wack one .... If it runs into woods' be dang careful cause the rest of those hogs seem to stay around just outside of your sight, and you can hear them grunting and clickin their teeth.... lol I love this stuff. Of course before we go in after a wounded one; out comes the 870's with the coyote 00 nickle plated stuff..... head lights too
Years ago when I was much younger and more athletic I ran into a herd of them on the road one night near Albany and being not real bright I whipped out a glock .40 S&S and put several into the chest just behind the front leg of a pretty big sow.

Flashlight in hand I followed her into some really thick stuff and I wasn't fifty yards off the road when I found her and found myself surrounded by hogs "whoofing" and snapping their teeth.'

I was as poor as a starved down snake in those days and I wasn't going to let the meat go to waste so I went ahead and drug her out into the headlights but that was one really uneasy feeling. I don't scare easy but man, that did it!

We have shot and trapped quite a few hogs, the best advise I have is to wait a good 30 minutes to let them bleed out before you go crawling in the thicket in the dark after them. Normally the hogs around us scatter once shot at.

I normally shoot them right behind the ear and they drop like a rock. I have found that heart / lung shots usually result in a long search and you sometimes end up losing the animal. They can really take a hit.

The best story I have is once I was bow hunting from a 15 foot quad stand and it was getting quite dark, a small group of hogs came to the feeder. I could see the hogs but couldn't see my bow sight very well. I lined up my arrow best I could and let it fly. I hit the hog, it squealed pretty loud and they all headed for the woods maybe 30 yards behind my stand. As I waited I could hear the hog stumbling through the brush, each time it stumbled it would squeal some more. I waited patiently for it to stop and bleed out. As I sat there I saw a long bodied whitish animal that was low to the ground and had a long tail walk below my stand maybe 15 yds out heading in the direction of the hog. Needless to say I was not very excited about going in the brush after the hog by myself. I called one of my buddies and when he got there we crouched down making our way through the low brush following the blood trail. There are game / cattle trails through the brush that are about 4 feet high and a couple feet wide. After about a half hour of tracking and searching the under brush we found it. We always wait for them to bleed out before going in the brush after them and so far have not had any problems. It's too bad most years they go nocturnal after being shot at a few times and only come out right at dark. Wish I could afford a thermal scope!

Here's a couple of this falls pictures just for fun.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Oh, I forgot the dangerous part, this one went right around 350lb, we had to pull it up on a tree limb with the 4 wheeler winch to load it...

20161024_211143.jpg