820 Yard cow elk pics

4Ked Horn,
Yes, my 1500 yard entry was in the VH magazine in one of the issues from last year. The picture has not been used yet to my knowledge, but one has been sent. Hopefully the next issue will show it! In case it doesn't, here it is:
1508.jpg

When I get some time, I will tell you which issues my 500,1000, and ram pics are in just in case you would like to see them. I will have to look them up because I forgot where they were.

Goodgrouper,
Is that the 250 model Barr & Stroud range finder?
If so where did you get it? In my undestanding they have been discontinued. What is the caliber you used and the
rifle scope? Awesome shot!

Perhaps.

I couldn't figure out where that "offhand" remark would have come from???

It is in 4ked horn's signature line, you're correct. I think he told once that it was stated by a customer at a shop he worked in or visited, don't recall exactly, one of those miracle "non-dropping rounds" gun.

GG

1500+ yards on that little critter is pretty good shooting.

GG that is some awsome stuff. I'm going to try to do some catching up this spring in Twin Falls on rock chucks. We will see how well I do. Thanks for posting the picture.

Dave you are correct. It was said to me while I was working at Gart sports in the hunting and fishing department. The man insisted that it was 800 yards and that he simply placed the stadia line on the back of the deer. When I showed him the printed ballistics for a 30-06 as dropping 20+ feet even with a 500 yard zero he told me that "paper aint hunting and a 270 shoots flatter than an 06 anyway".

The grossly obese man said this all while trying not to breathe hard from his strenuous walk to the back of the store. It is my estimation that he couldn't hit a truck wheel at 100 yards without oxygen and that the 800 yards was measured as he drove off the back of the hill he was parked on and went around to the back of the hill (100 yards away) that the deer was dead on.

"And thats the way it is." Walter Cronkite.

4ked Horn, that's funny. That fat dude must get around. I used to manage the hunting and fishing department in a Gart's Sports down in Cedar City, Utah. I had that guy's twin come in one day and tell me how "all them out'a stater's can't shoot." He went on to explain how a couple years ago he got tired of their missing so he leaned over the hood of his pick up and picked off a bunch of mule does for them. All were head shots and he used his Ruger Mini 14. You know, "cause it's the best darned rifle money kin buy." I'll tell ya, it was hard to keep a poker face that day. Oh, and did I mention at that time Utah hadn't issued a doe tag of any kind in over a decade in southern Utah.

Goodgrouper, great shooting on all accounts!!!

Thats one impressive shot on that chuck!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Keep up the good work and don't let anybody get in the way of doing what you love! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eaglet,
it is not a barr & stroud ,it is a Wild (probably a better range finder anyway) GG was shooting a 6.5x284 with Berger 140gr vld's and a dirty boosted (premier reticle) Leupold. 11,000ft the end of summer.
B.
p.s.I shot his brother the next morning with a lowly 6-284 at the same distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts