1038 YD ELK vs. 338 EDGE

I shoot alot and knew the hits were good even if they did not connect with bone as I'd have prefered. The body language of the bull let me know that the jig was up as I watched him walk away. When the other elk had scattered I was pretty sure the bull had fallen. I didn't pack my 14 lb Edge down the hill and instead chose to pack meat sacks, camera etc. down. While I left the rifle at the truck I did have a Glock G20 10mm with me as I just don't go about without something.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Shawn. I was thinking that you must have been carrying a handgun because it seemed careless to hike after an elk without the means to put it down if you had not made one of the two or both shots fatal. I have seen Elk absorb some serious punishement and keep on trucking. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Enjoy the best wild meat nature has to offer.

Hey Shawn , a few quick questions about your Glock.
1) you shooting factory ammo?
2) have you had any issues with it battering the frame?

I've got a 21 and had gotten the 45 Super kit for it and ended up having to get yet a heavier spring to keep it from beating the frame up.
I had heard that the 10mm's had issues like this due to the higher pressures and cycle speed

Just wondering , I'm looking at getting another pistol for hog hunting and had given the 10mm a thought with the 180gr bullets

great story Shawn! I love reading about your 338 edge. I have been reading on the edge for over a year now. I have a question to ask; actually several. first your 338 edge has more powder capabilities than the 338 rum; my question is then why go with the 338 edge when all your loads for the 300 smk bullet is around 92 or 93 gains of H1000 (that is your accuracy load) why not just use the 338 rum with one of your custom barrels, since it seems to me the 90-92 gains you always use would go fine in the rum? or am i wrong? if so why have special dies made for the 338 edge, when i could buy 338 dies for the rum over the shelf? I plan on having a gun built in either the 338 rum or the 338 edge. but if the accuracy loads are the same in the 300 grain why go special dies. this is my first post. everything i read tells me you and kirby are first class gunsmiths. I am going to have my first ever gun built, and it will probably be the only one(wife says:shocked)so i want it to be a tack driver and i need all the info i can get before i make my final decision. next question-you talked about the eberlestrok back pack. which one do you reccomend to pack my rifle and gear? I am probably going to go with a night force scope-5.5x22x50mm for long range hunting. that is why i am trying to decide on the 338 edge or a 338 rum-is there a better accuracy out of one verses the other. thanks alot i would apprieciate any feed back from anybody in the forum. New Shooter

You are barking up the right tree for components. About the RUM vs EDGE. The Edge will go max preasure with H1000 at 94.0 grains with the 300 SMK in my rifle. Now even though the RUM case will hold that amount it will be way over preasure due to less case volume. All in all the Edge is good for 150 fps or a little more with heavy bullets like the 250-300 class SMK's. I am not the type to do things the hard way for no reason. The 338 Edge loading process involves the same # of steps as the RUM it is dirt simple and the additional velocity etc is well worth getting a different set of dies to me. You can get a RUM built and it will be a great rifle but the only difference cost wise between it and an Edge is the additional 65.00 for dies. I would spend 65.00 on every gun I own if I could get an additional 150 fps out of it.

Shawn, awesome hunt, congratulations. I tip my hat to you on that long shot. My 338-300rum is performing exceptionally well also. I am using your H1000 load with the substitution of Fed GM215M primers. One question, I am using the 3.5-15x50 nightforce NXS with the NPR-2 reticle and I have been using the 2moa lines to compensate for the bulk of my moa adjustment and the turret for the fine tuning, are you using the same technique or do you fully dial all of your adjustments? Thank you again for sharing your hunt pics and story with us all.

Great story and pic Shawn. Looks like the edge is one fine longrange rifle, and not just the rifle the person behind it also. Looks like two nice shots and one was running. Sounds like the nightforce scopes are really worth the price.

Ben

Thanks guys,

I dial the full range that I need. I am prepared with the NPR2 reticule to shoot out to 500-600 yards quickly if needed by using the reticule only. If time permits (it usually does) I dial the full amount.

Shawn

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.