338 Edge vs. 6x6 Bull Elk @ 1308 Yards

Shawn, great writing really kept my interest. Almost 4000 feet-what you do and few others like you at those distances is nothing short of amazing. Congratulations, that's a super elk and shot.

Last edited:
Shawn wrote a very good article that is on the home page and I put the link below.
You should memorize the signals of wind that he mentions. A wind meter only tells you the wind where your hand is.

Reading The Wind

Shawn, great shooting and infomative articles and video. Your cheek piece also has helped my accuracy and speed at getting on target.

Questions: what do you think the minimum energy and speed is of a .338 on elk and what would that translate to in distance. You may recall that with Groodgrouper the question was raised about what the limit is given his 1410 yd elk?

Questions: what do you think the minimum energy and speed is of a .338 on elk and what would that translate to in distance. You may recall that with Groodgrouper the question was raised about what the limit is given his 1410 yd elk?

Minumum Energy and speed?
I don't know, but I do know that if a 7mm bullet and a .338 calibre bullet hit the same thing. Then the .338 caliber bullet will make a much bigger hole!

There is a whole book to be written on this issue. To me the biggest issue is not energy or impact velocity but in bullet placement. If you can assure perfect placement you can get by with less horsepower. I like to error to the side of caution. With the 300 SMK specifically you cannot count on the bullet expanding at longer distances it will have loads of penetration though. With this in mind it is not the energy that regulates the distance but the conditions. The conditions will regulate my ability to place the shot exactly and the distance I can do it at.

There is a whole book to be written on this issue. To me the biggest issue is not energy or impact velocity but in bullet placement. If you can assure perfect placement you can get by with less horsepower. I like to error to the side of caution. With the 300 SMK specifically you cannot count on the bullet expanding at longer distances it will have loads of penetration though. With this in mind it is not the energy that regulates the distance but the conditions. The conditions will regulate my ability to place the shot exactly and the distance I can do it at.

This kind of answer makes me want to sign up for one of his classes .
Shot placement/Conditions = Distance

Bigbuck

With the 300 SMK specifically you cannot count on the bullet expanding at longer distances it will have loads of penetration though. QUOTE]

Shawn,

Just out of curiosity, what have you found as minimum fps impact speed that does cause expansion on game animals with the 300SMK? Depends on animal size and placement (bone, size of bone, no bone hit, etc.) again, but wondered if you or others here had a 'rule of thumb' that one could use initially to get a feel for this projectile. In your first video, I recall you mentioned 1600fps (with no qualifiers attached as to why) as a number you were 'comfortable' with. As someone who will likely be shooting this bullet soon, I'm trying to learn what I can about it.

Thanks,

Jon

I used 1600 with the 300 SMK because it will definately penetrate the shoulders of an elk at that velocity. Impact velocity of 1200 fps will shoot clear through a deer in most cases. Bullet expansion is not reliable but terminal performance is still good with some odd but still impressive wound channels. At these velocities there is still a cushion for plenty of penetration.

I used 1600 with the 300 SMK because it will definately penetrate the shoulders of an elk at that velocity. Impact velocity of 1200 fps will shoot clear through a deer in most cases. Bullet expansion is not reliable but terminal performance is still good with some odd but still impressive wound channels. At these velocities there is still a cushion for plenty of penetration.

Thanks, Shawn.

Great shootin' and great story. I would expect noting less from a guy of your accomplishments.
It took me 3 shots to make my 1300 yard shot.
Maybe I should take a class from you instead of bugging you on the phone.
Thanks again Shawn.

Congradulations Shawn

I agree totally there is no better long range bullilt in 338 caliber than the 300 SMK IMHO

Thanks for your answers Shawn, sounds like 1600 fps is very reasonable given Matunas optimum formula weight of about 553 lbs.

Please keep up the very useful posts - much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts