2890 yd elk

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't do this stuff, have a real problem with it. I do admire those that can make those shots tho. Just three questions for which I 'm sure to get blasted. What's the purpose of shooting at an animal at those ranges? How far are you guy's willing to try this? and do you concider this hunting or shooting?

I'm impressed anyone can make a shot like that. I would be more impressed if the target didn't bleed.

Mrs. Troll.
intel_thomas_175.jpg

Don,
The fellows who aspire to that kind of distance have setup a website to share info. Most of the guys here are interested in somewhat less exotic equipment and distances up to 1000 yards or less. We have some very serious shooters who have the equipment and skills to shoot considerably longer, but the vast majority of the guys here are interested in obtaining the confidence to shoot to the lethal accuracy capability of their equipment. Most of our rifles and rigs might be classed as good to 400 or 500 yards, good to 750-800, or good to 1000 and a few guys have the dedication to obtain confidence past 1000. "Good to" means that the bullet can be delivered with lethal accuracy.

Every shot at an animal is a shot at a target that bleeds - whether it is the 75 yard kill I made last week on a Nilgai or the mulie I killed with one shot at 783 yards. If you wish to discuss ethics please do that somewhere else because the fellow who owns the site, and the guys who collaborated on it from day-one only want to share info on improving our personal skills, equipment and enjoyment of hunting. My ethics are mine, and I do not wish to compare or impose them on others. There are extremely long shots made and there are extremely close shots that result in wounding and misses. We are mostly trying to learn more so that individually we can shoot with confidence farther if and when the opportunity happens. You will probably read about more shots inside of 500 yards here than past. But there are a lot of guys who can place their first shot into the lethal zone much farther than the average 200-250 yard shooter.
Your question may well be reasonable from your viewpoint. We have run that stuff around enough in the past to know that nothing is proved and valuable time and energy will be wasted. We are here to talk about equipment, techniques, hunting - including the exploits of ten-year old hunters who have just taken their first hog - important stuff like that.

Let's stay with the topic at hand - long range hunting as the majority of the guys on this site have the skill and equipment to enjoy.

Don each person has his or her own opions, and abilitys.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the purpose of shooting at an animal at those ranges?

[/ QUOTE ]
the purpose is the same as you have for hunting. that is to take a game animal. Some people get bored with the "ease" of shooting animals at distances less than 5-600 yrds. there capabilitys make those shots (5-600yrds) seem like second nature.
[ QUOTE ]
How far are you guy's willing to try this

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as one is comfortable in makeing the shot. the limiting factor in shots this far is the terminal balistics with the cartridges.the guys you are reffering to shoot several thousands of rounds at distances of 1000 yrds plus. I know DC has the access to shoot to 3000 yds, and does so reguarly.
[ QUOTE ]
do you concider this hunting or shooting

[/ QUOTE ]
this is definatly hunting, however it only represent about 2 percent of actual hunting involved in the US.

with that said whats the difference between a 200 yrd shot on a animal and a 2900 yrd one?

you should read why longrangehunting was founded.

d-a

Let me re-write this post. Re-read your post and you answered my questions. Now tell me, on another site someone made refrence to the 50 BMG at 5 miles. Has anyone ever tried that? Ah, mention of the 50 BMG really got most of them going. I will now go back to sitting back and keeping my mouth shut.

Is this an April Fool's joke

Buffalo Bob. Nope! Just had to know. Miss your posting on the other site. Your one of the few that when talking turned to long range sounded as if he knew what he was talking about.

The 50BMG is an interesting cartridge but one that is rarely used for hunting at any range. Given current equiptment and technologies, 5 miles is nothing more than a fantasy.

While the 50BMG may be the king of raw horsepower, there are many cartridges that are much better suited to longrange accuracy and hunting.

If you are honestly interested in the capabilities of the 50BMG yu may want to look at the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association.

The fellows who aspire to that kind of distance have setup a website to share info

do you have the link to the website mentioned above ? I look at this site 4-5 times a day just incase there is something new I would love to read more about long range hunting
GREAT SITE GUYS KEEP IT COMING

[ QUOTE ]
I would be happy to even detect game at that range. Never dreampt of attempting to hit a live animal that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!!! Hats of to Darryl and his comrades! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, let me ask another question if I can. How do you guys spot game at those ranges? And that Russian range finder, is that a hand held thing? I have been trying to visualize what 2890 yards looks like ever since I read that post.

[ QUOTE ]
what 2890 yards looks like

[/ QUOTE ]

1/3 mile short of 2 miles. Find a two mile stretch of flat road and a friend to help you out. Bring walkie talkies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Your odometer will get you close enough for this illustration.

BTW 1 mile = 1760 yds.

While the hunting of big game at nearly 3000yds is a mixed bag in my book I have been testing scopes at further that this range.

With a leup MK4 8-25 power scope I can spot pdogs at 3200yds as long as their aint much mirage. Of course they look like little walking chunks of cow crap but when they move you can spot em.

As for the rangefinders me and Bill Bailey, along with Fifty and GG, have been using the Wild optical rangefinder. Once you get used to it it is a hell of a tool.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.