338 EDGE vs 1276 yd PLATE

[ QUOTE ]
I bedded your EDGE today.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Big cheesy grin on my face right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you've got some time, when I'm up there, I'd like to see what you're doing when you're culling out the bullets. I've never gotten that particular about my reloading. I've got a Stoney Point length guage, and I've trimmed my brass and got the tool to make the flash holes the same, but I've never sorted out my bullets before.

Always something new to learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shawn, very nice shooting. Is that an HS police stock with the palm swell? Did you make the cheek rest for that stock?
Or is it after market? Very nice looking anyway.

That is in fact a PSS LA stock with my cheekpiece. The rifel is not finished yet I am trying to figure out what color scheme to go with. The cheekpiece I designed for all of the HS stocks without a monte carlo "hump".

OK, it just wouldn't right not to mention this. I taught a Long Range Hunting 2 day class over the weekend. Great group of guys I had this class. After class was over I shot the 1276 plate again. Instead of the gental and consistant 1.25 moa wind I had when I shot the group in the picture we had 2-10 mph winds randomly blowing in all directions and changing every 5-10 seconds. In short I hit all around the plate and fired 10 rounds to hit it twice. My point to all of this is that in the field in the chase of game some conditions you just have to say no to.

Shawn,
I've enjoyed this entire thread, but your last post made me smile. I have an employee I've been talking with about shooting long range for several months. I try and squeeze in some shooting most weekends, so monday mornings often include a discussion of what I shot over the weekend.

Last week I took him shooting with me after work. Unfortunately, conditions were similar to the ones you described. I found it difficult not to get frustrated as one shot hit left, and the next shot hit right. Or one shot hit left, was adjusted for, and still hit left.

My friend made a comment about, sure you can hit stuff way out there, but not consistent enough to shoot at game. I tried to explain the erratic wind conditions made shooting very difficult. And most of the time the wind was more consistent, and much easier to shoot in. I'm afraid he remains skeptical.

We all share our victories. It was nice to read of a shared frustration. Sort of reminded me the purpose is recreation.

Thanks for the post.

Go easy on Shawn - none of us "spotters" helped him much. Seemed like we were giving him two different answers each time!!!

I've got to say, that was some of the most fun I've ever had shooting! It was a great class and a fun bunch of people to be around.

Shawn, the biggest thing I learned was just how variable that wind really was; I truly understand now why everyone keeps saying bc, bc, bc...

Everyone, I was amazed at how well Shawn was able to dope the wind when spotting for me. I think pulling the trigger is the easy part now and I'll never look at an opposite hillside the same again.

Thanks for a great class. -- Don

Grit,

Your welcome for the post. I like to give all the info I can even if it is not very flattering. Some conditions are just tough. The point I really wanted to make is that your not limited to a certain effective range when hunting your limited to certain conditions. You could see it plain as day in the class out to a certain distance around 500 or so those guys tore it up, 600 and beyond was just to consistantly unpredictable to call it a high % shot. If I don't feel like it is a high % shot I'll pass or try to change positions. But as you have seen, people not in the game just don't understand.

Don,

Glad to have you at the class, you did a great job shooting the Nesika 338 LM. I'll start a thread on the class as I have some notes to put out and I am sure a couple of the other guys will have some as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.