338 EDGE vs 1276 yd plate round # 2

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
1276-2WEB.JPG

Went out to setup for another LRH class this weekend and found myself in some rare perfect conditions. I posted proir shooting at this distance and sight.
CONDITIONS
Distance: 1276 yards
Downhill .98 cos
Temp 78 deg
Humidity 58%
Bar 26.3 ( station )
Elevation 3642 ft
Wind 1-2 mph from cooling air coming down the 3 draws I have to shoot across, very consistant

Elevation Adjustment - up 33.00 MOA
Windage Adjustment - right 1.25 MOA

Position - 9-13" "s" bipod and fanny poack rear

First shot was dead center for wind at 6:00 almost off the plate low, fired the second shot just to be sure I hadn't errored and placed that shot just to the right 2" same elevation, fired the 3rd shot and was not able to see the impact ( later found that it dead centered the post just below the plate). Corrected elevation up .75 moa and fired the 3 shots centered and slightly high, for 2 back to back sub 5" groups at 1276 yards. So since the conditions were so good I located a spot at 1974 yards, a bare dirt area with some stumps in it from a old burn. I dialed 74.25 moa up and 3.00 moa right, forst shot impact was 1 moa high, still left .50 moa. I made the corrections and held on a rock that appeared to be just over 1 moa wide and slightly taller or about 2x2 feet. 1 st shot dusted high on the rock. Figured I'd quite on a high note and packed it up. You just have to love really long range rifles.

It is 1/2" Hardox 40 18"x18". Expect to pay around 100.00 for a piece. It is alot of $ but has most of the proprties of AR500 but you can weld it. I welded a 4x4 stake pocket to the back and plant posts where I might want to shoot at it.

Once again, excellent shooting Shawn!

At the West Coast Tactical match last weekend after the match was over I dialed in on a bush that we knew was 1600 yards away. The bush was about 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall. I dialed in 41.5 up and with a full wind of 6 to 7 mph from left to right I dialed in 8.5 left. With this I was able to consistantly fire 5 shots into this bush. I let others try the rifle out and everyone of them was right on elevation wise, with just a couple of shots hitting to the left of the bush.

This rifle and cartridge are just flat out amazing! I love it!

Devin

It shoots extreamly flat for a ways, but does not carry the energy or buck the wind as well as the 300 SMK. It has been a long time but I do believe it ran around 3300 fps.

Shawn,

Is that the same rifle you used last time? If so, you've painted it since, eh? Looks good!

How do you like those Seekin rings over the NF rings?

Devin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.