338 EDGE vs 1276 yd PLATE

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
1276YD1.JPG

Took my 338 Edge out to set up some more stuff for one of my LRH classes today. I had shot the location before but was unable to get a good photo of the sub 5" group I shot at the 1276 yard distance. As you can see in the photo below the shot is across 2 smaller ridges onto the 3rd ridge at the target in the circle. I shot from a field position ( bipod front ammo box rear bag ). I have been playing with station preasure and what variables I really need to worry about for dope info. This shot was 22 degrees hotter, humidity up 21%, but the preasure was only up .04. I used the same dope I used on a prior shooting date with the same preasure 33.75 moa up and I read a 3-5 mph 1/2 value wind so I dialed 1.25 moa right. The first shot was magic hitting almost center for wind and just below center for elevation. I fired the second shot and hit a couple inches higher but left about 5. For the 3rd shot I quickly held 1/2 moa right and set the 3rd round nearly thouching the first. The group is just over 6 inches. The thing I am the most pleased about is the tight vertical spread. I attribute the low vertical spread to working up loads that have ES's in the single digits. I am sure a certain ammount of the groups windage is my inability to read very small wind changes. This is how I practice for hunting season. I only care about the first shot hitting or why it did not but shooting 3 shot groups lets me know that the first round hit is not a fluke.

1276YD2.JPG

1276YD4.JPG

That's just flat out AWESOME! Good shooting Shawn!

18 more days till I can pick up mine!!! woo hoo!

Devin

Looks like a leupold variable spotting scope & you are left-handed to boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (me too)!

Good shooting Shawn, I have my 338 barrel on order and a action blank siting here waiting for me to build it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. What is the OAL you are running?? If you had your choice what OAL mag well would you have?

Glen

If I hit the plate with all three rounds from a cold barrel I would be smiling too.
Maybe this Fall when you are out elk hunting with Kirby you can take a little time and give him a few lessons on "smiling".

That's gotta be a "Well Done!"

Yup, must be left handed as the "shooting spot" defense weapon is on the left side also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm more comfortable shooting a rignt handed action left handed than a left handed action. I'm right handed but shoot rifles left handed.

Guess I'm going to have to get in on those LR shooting classes. There are definitely some things I don't know.

Must be single if you have a $20 in your pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What time of day was that? I would think that thermals would play havoc with the drop chart especially cutting across two ridges??

Nice shooting,

edge.

Thanks guys,

I am not single I just have a really great wife who supports what I do, I wouldn't be here without her. The load data etc:

Bullet: 300 gr SMK
Brass: Federal
Primer: CCI 250
Powder: H1000 ( while not the fastest it is the most consistant that I have worked with )
Charge: 93.0 grains ( THIS IS MAX IN THIS RIFLE )
COAL: 3.775"
Important details: chamber cut with .050" freebore @ oal 3.775"
Velocity: 2840 fps ( you can get 2950 fps with other powders but accuracy and ES suffer )

Heat in answer to your question I would run 3.900" in a perfect world and am working on a conversion to do just that from a repeater detachable box mag.

Shawn, not sure i'd put that into the smile catagory. i'm thinkin that's more like a "shite eatin grin" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

great shooting! makes a fellow want to build one of those edge things. oh that's right, i am!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.