338 Edge vs. 6x6 Bull Elk @ 1308 Yards

Shawn, what a great story of you and your dads hunt. My dad and I can no longer hunt together but my son has stepped right in. We had a successful elk hunt in CO two years ago and another Mulie hunt in MT last year. This year is his senior year and he couldn't miss any football so he was unable to make the trip to Idaho. I tell you, it wasn't the same without him. Good job!

Great shot and a great story. Glad you get to hunt with your dad as I do, you just can't beat it. I believe he is going praire doggin with us this year again and hopefully we nail that 2 mile shot. Good hunting to you and your dad.

Superb shot Shawn. I too look forward to viewing "Send It II". I noticed you were using a J104 Eberlestock pack. I was recently trying to decide between the J34 (replacement for the J104) and the J107. I am now trying to decide between the J107 or J107M. Since you have some significant experience with the J104 can you share any thoughts about this issue. Thanks.

Gordon
Niceville, FL

I have not used the 107, I have used the 104 alot and absolutly love it. I have so much to carry with film equipment etc I need an expandable pack like the 104. It holds the rifle better than the gunslinger in my opinion. I wish I have an opinion on the 107 and the others but just have not had them on. It takes several trips to get one adjusted correctly for you but after it is set where you want it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used.

I've ran the J107 for an entire year now(shed season and 2 different states of hunting seasons)and I have to tell you I will never buy another pack again(unless they can improve this one). This thing is amazing. I packed out 1/2 a mule deer along with a sendero 2 with mark 4 on it, and about 25 lbs. of other crap, straight up(and I mean we hand to use our hands) the mountain. Then I packed an elk and another mule deer at the same area with the same amount of heavy crap and it is absolutely amazing. I bought the j104 and returned it cause I was tire of having to have 4 different packs. Backpack hunting pack, short distance pack, overnight pack ect. This thing really does it all and its super comfortable. Jeez I sound like an ad for them.

I didn't see this story until now being as at about this time of the month of October I had my own retrieval problems and the weather was not as kind to me. I always enjoy your hunts and most of the time I actually learn something new. I had never heard of a multi mount before and usually carry two or three tripods. I am definitely going to get me one of those things (Santa is always very good to me about hunting gear). That device will be a great weight saver and time saver.

Looking forward to reading about your annual whitetail hunt.

Wow, very nicely done ! Im getting ready to order Send it Vol-1 .

Not to hijack, but can you reccomend some reading on learning to dope the wind ?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.