Ziess ??

Nathanial

I have been shopping around for a scope to place on a new custom 338 RUM and it has come
down to two choices. The Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20 that I know nothing of, or a Leupold MK4 M1
that I do know about.

The reason for looking at the Zeiss is primarily price, I can get a unused demo model with
warranty. Questions are, how repeatable is the turret system and will there be enough elevation in
the one inch tube to get to 800 yards? Base on the rifle is a Near Manufacturing 10 MOA.
Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks, Nathan

The Zeiss has great glass. I'm not sure it is any better than the Leupold though. I had one and so did a buddy of mine. Both of us have since sold them and put Leupolds on. There is only 40 moa of elevation in the Zeiss. It just wasn't enough for what we wanted to do. This is the only reason we opted to dump the Zeiss. With that said, we are both very happy w/the Leupies we currently have as well.

The mk4 is a heck of a scope. I am partial to the original mk4's but they cost as much as a NXS. The deal is, if you want a scope that is lighter and more compact than the NXS yet want the quality of glass, bullet proofness of construction, reliability and MOA travel that the NXS offers, the original mk4 is a very good choice.

For the budget minded or if you want a variable power, the newer mk4 will be a great choice.

I have the Zeiss 6.5 x 20 x 50 on my 257 Weatherby and I am very pleased with it. It replaced a Nikon. Having 10 MOA bases you should be able to get you to 800 yards. You'll have to do a little figuring to be be sure. I went to purchase another Zeiss my big 30 custom but came across a LRT 30mm 8x25x50 luppie at a very good price so I have that one also. I actually like the Zeiss better. my2c

I was in the same boat as you a while back. The Zeiss optics are great. Almost as nice as my Swarovski. However I finally got a look through a 30mm Leupold and I was impressed. It was much better then the old Vari X 3's, again this is to my eyes.. So I decided to go with a new Mark 4. And will buy it from Bill Bailey. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.