Zeiss V6 Vs Meopta Meostar R2. Glass.

No doubt when you start spending over $1000 for a rifle scope it should be a given that it's "good glass" optically, and the larger the objective the more usable light that is gathered....that's why you'll see better detail in low light with a $1000 scope with a 56mm obj than with a $3000 set of binocs w/ a 40mm.
To a certain extent, you really begin splitting hairs comparing most of the glass mentioned throughout this post. To someone who doesn't stay on their binocs a lot while hunting and looks through their scope even less, they will not immediately recognize the finer points of some of the optical technology. And to be fair, that Hunter is no better or worse off because of the finer details.
Ive gotten a lot of reviews from, of all people, avid bird watchers or "birders". These folks are brutal when it comes to being critical of their optics. If u think about it, they spend a lot of time behind their glass and need the finer points like color separation and edge distortion, to identify the gazillion different birds that they are in search of. The difference between two very similar colors could be the difference from one bird to the next.
All I can say is I spend a ton of my time hunting behind my optics. I have an older Zeiss Conquest from the Meopta partnership days and it's good clear glass. But when I look through my Swaro Z8i it's a whole different level of everything. The same can be said for a Z6 that I recently sold....super good glass but I could totally see a noticeable difference.
Some very good points about optics that should be considered seriously .

If you still have your R2, hit me up. I'd be interested.
I sold it. Gave the guy a smoking deal. I bought it b/c I found it as a demo for a great price, but I didn't have use for it. I can't afford to have a bunch of extras sitting around. I'm having a rifle built but need more magnification in a scope so I let it go and will soon be buying something else. U can bet it will be a demo or lightly used model...I've saved a lot of coin over the years getting all my optics that way. Good glass is just as clear and bright at 5yrs old as it was brand new. It allows me to end up with something that I couldn't ordinarily afford.

German-made Zeiss scopes are top notch! In an effort to produce a cheaper scope, Zeiss marketing gambled on some of the lesser quality manufacturers - bad decision. However, after looking through several different Meostar models, I wouldn't buy one. I don't like tunnel vision, regardless of the clarity. I buy Zeiss Victory-class scopes. If the rifle in question has a limited budget for a scope, I've been greatly pleased with a Leupold VX-3i. Fantastic quality at a reasonable price with a lifetime warranty and excellent service!!!!
I've always wondered about lifetime warranty scope manufacturers. Only scopes that I've ever returned for repairs have had lifetime warranties! The big L and B companies.

Agree with CCAguns, I don't care how good the glass is, I'm not willing to pay a premium for a pvc pipe fov, not to mention scopes like this are absolutely awful for late in the evening hunting, it's to bad the v6, NF, and so many other so called premium scopes fall in this category. A large apparent fov along with great glass is one of the primary reasons for owning German glass to begin with imo.

Of course durability and repeatability is the primary, which all my diavari's have had btw, but still, that can be had with scopes as cheap as bushnell or swfa. Again, the above is why a Zeiss diavari vmv to this day is a superior scope optically, I still haven't found it's betterment and that includes NF, about every Schmidt you can own, Leica, and most Swaro's, a few deltas, all great scopes and some better for shooting but I'm talking shooting and seeing late.

Last edited:
My experience, with my eyes, for shooting and seeing late, the Swaro z8i is the best i've had the chance to peer through. I have the mag set on 15-16x and the combo of clarity and enough light has been the ticket for me, and just a hair better than several other scopes (S&B Exos and Leica Magnus). I did just pick up a S&B Polar, but have yet to really compare it side by side at the same time, looking at the same object.
When I add up the $$ spent on hunting, such as lease costs, food plot cost, the garage full of gear, travel costs, outfitter fees (on outfitted trips), license and tag fees, etc etc., it will shock the average non-hunter. If you then multiply the reoccurring annual costs by the number of years you've been at it, even the most cost conscious spendthrift devotes a lot of capital to the activity. For someone like myself, who spends a lot of time behind their optics, spending more (once) for premium glass is a no brainer.
Everyone likely cuts corners at some point and doing so is probably justified.....I know I do. But my optics is the last thing on the chopping block. Having the best possible view and knowing a scope will deliver is right there with having an accurate rifle, as the foundation for whole enchilada.