Zeiss V6 Vs Meopta Meostar R2. Glass.

Despotes

I've read mixed reviews of the V6 and only one or two of the Meostar R2. Primary factor is low light performance for deer hunting. Field of view, eyebox, resolution, contrast, sharpness considered as well.
If both can be had for the same price, which offers better optical performance?
I'm looking to replace my Swarovski Z3. Hopefully, one of these will be a noticeable upgrade.

Last edited:
I'll bet meopta. Had the v6 and was not impressed with the glass. I talked to an optics guy who did a side by side with a v4 and v6 and told zeiss the v4 was better optically. Don't know if we got bad samples of the v6 or not. Always here great things about the meopta.

V6 fov sucks, it tunnels bad, regardless of model, a lot like the older HD5, the v4 does not, it's more like the old conquest scopes. I'd go v4 or v8 in Zeiss, never tried the Meopta.

V6 fov sucks, it tunnels bad, regardless of model, a lot like the older HD5, the v4 does not, it's more like the old conquest scopes. I'd go v4 or v8 in Zeiss, never tried the Meopta.
I had the HD5 years ago. Quickly sold it.

Meopta hasn't impressed me. I'd look for an older Zeiss Diavari to keep costs down. Been using a Zeus Victory for 15 years and it's still the clearest scope I've ever looked thru!!!

Zeiss sucks these days. Their old Conquest MC scopes back in the day were good...but guess who made the Conquest MC scopes for Zeiss??? Yep, it was Meopta.

Meopta also made the old Zeiss Diascope spotters that put Zeiss on the map in that department.

They should have kept letting Meopta make their optics. Zeiss optics of present day on their own is a waste of money when compared to other companies in my opinion.

I still have one of the old Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40's. And shortly after their partnership w/ Meopta ran its course, Zeiss zigged, when the shoulda zagged.
It goes back to the design and build being driven by particular price points.

German-made Zeiss scopes are top notch! In an effort to produce a cheaper scope, Zeiss marketing gambled on some of the lesser quality manufacturers - bad decision. However, after looking through several different Meostar models, I wouldn't buy one. I don't like tunnel vision, regardless of the clarity. I buy Zeiss Victory-class scopes. If the rifle in question has a limited budget for a scope, I've been greatly pleased with a Leupold VX-3i. Fantastic quality at a reasonable price with a lifetime warranty and excellent service!!!!

If interested in Meopta riflescopes. Look at their Optika6 lineup with all the modern day features. You won't find a bad opinion or review on any of them. Meopta glass punches way above its weight class. Way better value for your money than anything Zeiss offers.

The old Zeiss Diavari had pretty good glass. The modern V8 series has great glass as well if you want to re-finance the house or cash in the kids college fund to get one, but they missed the mark on the V8 series in so many other mechanical aspects for LR shooting. Basically spending a fortune on a V8 for great glass and no other advantages over other optics. V4 and V6 are both WAY overpriced for what you get in my opinion.

My Meostar doesn't tunnel....at least not if you're talking about what scope tunneling actually is. No offense, but I've read posts from quite a few that don't know what the term actually means.
It has nothing to do with the scope's eye box or eye relief. You'd also be surprised that some of the most expensive scopes made actually have a slight tunnel affect at certain mag ranges.
Scope tunneling is when your FOV remains the same despite lowering the magnification.
Those expensive scope companies will point out that despite the FOV staying the same, theirs is still wider than most lesser scopes.
The most common confusion is mistaking a finicky eye box for tunneling.
I'll spare everyone the confusion that circulates on the whole "eye box" subject.
I thinks it's very difficult, and somewhat careless, to make bold statements about a particular optic unless you've spent some time with it. At a minimum, outside and mounted in a shooting situation.
That's one reason I have very little to say about Leupolds. I don't own one, I have looked through and examined the controls. But outside, on a rifle and actually using it , I haven't.
Everyone's eyes are different and there's good glass galore these days at every price point.

The V6 3-18x50 I have does not tunnel what so ever, personally I have only see tunneling on FFP scopes (SB PM2). The V6 line is way better than the V5 in every way including the zero stop where the V5 only gave you one rotation of elevation.