Zeiss V4 4-16X44 VS Leupold VX5 HD 3-14X44

Left Hand Dave

If you can get either for the same money which one and why? How do they compare for glass, tracking and low light?
Thanks
Dave

My vote is Leupold over Zeiss. I had a Zeiss V6 and sold it to replace it with a VX6 HD. The Zeiss, at least mine, pulled in a lot of mirage on a sunny day compared to my Leupolds. Also, I don't like the fact the Zeiss didn't have a parallex indicator on the side of the yardage as my Leupolds have. Clarity wise, IMO, the Leupold HD was better than the Zeiss. Some people might disagree on that, but overall I didn't care for the Zeiss. The Leupold also has an illuminated reticle and the Zeiss didn't either. The only pro over the Zeiss compared to the Leupold was the turret system. Other than that, my vote is Leupold. And one more thing... Leupold customer service is way better than Zeiss. In some cases Zeiss will ship stuff back to Germany and you won't see your product for a long time. Leupold gets your stuff back quick.

I like my scopes to track, rtz and hold zero under recoil....so Zeiss V4 for me. My 2 have been dialed a ton and have been perfect.

I have (6) total between the vx5 and Vx6. I sold The swaros and zeiss. All I have now are leupold and nightforce.

My two 3-15x44 vx5 have been our past 1000 yards on a 7rm and past 900 on a 30-06. They have tracked excellently and in dense brush at dark and the fire dot is excellent for picking out the crosshairs rapidly. I love the vx5 and Vx6 series. No tracking problems at all

I have both
The Leupold has a bit better glass and tracks perfect as far as I can tell
The Zeiss has a much better choice of reticles and tracks just as well
I like the quality of the Leupold and the turrets and reticle on the Zeiss

I've had a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on and off 3 different hunting rifles for close to a decade now and its never failed me. Because of how happy I've been with that I opted for another Zeiss for my Elk hunting rifle and picked up a Conquest V4 4-16x44. I really like the way that their zero stop is setup and like the capped windage turret with the ability to dial elevation. It was very easy to set and when you read the manual and look at it after you get the cap off its very easy to understand. It tracks well as far out as I've pushed it so far (500 yards) but I've had it all over in between and no issues. I haven't looked through a VX5 in field conditions where the differences are easier to see. Another optic that's worthy of consideration for those looking to find that sweet spot of cost/performance is the Meopta Optika6 lineup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.