Zeiss, Leo VX5, VX6, or NF NX8

Ok guys thanks for all of the replies. I honestly thought I would have gotten more feed back on the Zeiss. I've owned an NXS and know how good those are. Sold it because I bought the velocity reticle and at the time didn't know they had like 8 versions of it and it was very specific to certain loads. So I sold it. I own a VX5HD 3-15x56. Firedot reticle. It's a nice scope as well. Good glass and all. But I really don't like most of Leupolds reticle. I really like NF reticle. So I added the NX8 2.5-20 to my rifle order. Now I'm thinking of going with the FFP reticle. Also thoughts about going up to the 4-32 power? Or stick with the 20?

Ok guys thanks for all of the replies. I honestly thought I would have gotten more feed back on the Zeiss. I've owned an NXS and know how good those are. Sold it because I bought the velocity reticle and at the time didn't know they had like 8 versions of it and it was very specific to certain loads. So I sold it. I own a VX5HD 3-15x56. Firedot reticle. It's a nice scope as well. Good glass and all. But I really don't like most of Leupolds reticle. I really like NF reticle. So I added the NX8 2.5-20 to my rifle order. Now I'm thinking of going with the FFP reticle. Also thoughts about going up to the 4-32 power? Or stick with the 20?
Nice!! You won't regret it. I run SFP. It's just personal preference and how you want to be able to use the scope honestly. I prefer to make adjustments with my turrets only. That's just me 🤙🏼. I was also torn between 2.5-20 and 4-32. I was happy to gain 12X on the top end while only losing 1.5X on the bottom end, so I went 4-32 and I'm glad I did. Also the shorter tube and steeper bell on the objective can make the
2.5-20 finicky for getting eye relief if mounting on a rail. The bell wants to hit the rail potentially before the scope is slid far enough back for the correct eye relief. Just something to think about 👍🏼👍🏼

Yeah it is. I've owned them both. Only difference is the main tube diameter and zoom ratio. Also some different magnification ranges and objective diameters. Same glass though.

I think the Zeiss V4 is the best bang for the buck though!!
View attachment 271986
View attachment 271987
They both kill though!!
Congrats to your hunting partner, and another grape bandit bites the dust. What's in your build?

I have NXS, Vx5, vx6, plus others but these are part of the group you ask about sort of. For the money the 5 is great, like the 6 better. It's a 3-18 x 50. So far it has been the best all around hunting scope I have. I think when playing at this level of scope, solid mid tier, but weight oriented, there is a lot of pickiness that takes place. For me, the glass is clear, bright, and coloration is good. For most normal hunting ranges it is plenty of scope as the glass quality is good at the higher mag and doesn't fade away. So for a decent price point, locking turrets, illum reticle, moa hash, good glass, lower weight, I would buy another without single concern. The vx5 is right there in the glass department but the rest is a little lacking. No illum, reticle choice is so so. If I was concerned about the budget the 5 is clear winner for me. I put this scope on my long range pistol and after using it a bit really enjoy the scope.

Also thoughts about going up to the 4-32 power?

I would be interested in some of the experts comments on the 4-32's ffp reticle at 10x, 15x and 20x. IMO, the reticle can get pretty hard to see/use below 50% magnification.

That is ok if 50% is 8-12x, but at 16x, I wonder.

My shoot from the hip response would be to buy the NF, if you must make your decision without trying out first. I've owned NF and it wasn't for the weight of the Atacr model, I'd still own it today. Any scope that can be taken off your rifle and be used in a bar fight, then remounted and perform as new, is worthy of my hard earned dollars. However, I would do my very best to "demo" the scopes on your list. U may not be able to take them out shooting, but at least hold them, look through, and turn the turrets.
I have a few builds that I really didn't have a budget when it came time to buy the glass. I wanted a specific reticle, a simple duplex with an illuminated center dot. Lighter weight was only a goal with one particular rifle. I ended up with 2 S&B's (Exos and Polar) and a Swaro Z8i. But recently I bought another rifle and needed glass. I found a Leica Magnus as a shot-show demo for almost 1/3rd off retail. I bought it and I'm telling you if I'd tried one out earlier, I would have never bought either of the S&B's.
For my eyes, it is as good or better in every measurable way. But my eyes are different from yours and you're the one who will be using the scope.
I'll also point out that I managed to find all 4 of those scopes as a demo or for sale as some sort of clearance deal, and saved a ton.
Really good top shelf glass doesn't wear out....so being aware of this may save you some serious coin or allow you to get to a level of quality that you didn't think was possible....then you'll be ruined...lol.
Good luck.

Each has it's own merits for sure. I looked at everyone of those scopes very hard, and went with the Leupy VX6 HD, 3X18 30MM, CDS, with Talley rings/bases on my 6.5 PRC CA Ridgeline. The versatility in power, with the lowest weight of all of them sold me. My total weight is 8.0 lbs! That's my Western long range gun now. A former veteran once said "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain." After I decided, I started shopping, and one day I found a one year old used one on ebay for $1200.00. I love it when a plan comes together!

Anyway you go in your options will net you a good scope.

Me, well I am a huge Zeiss fan. I own several and over the years sold off other name brand scopes to replace them with Zeiss. I really use the 5-25 most but have a couple lower power. The one I use on my main hunting rifle is 4-16X42 and it works for me. I am only hunting with 25 cal most of the time tho...

For a less expensive option consider a used older Zeiss Conguest 1". Exceptionally clear, high contrast, and side focus.

Chuck

Just spent the money. Was ok with 3k for glass. I went with my buddies recommendation as I haven't looked through it. Tenmile 4.5x30 56mm. He swears it's every bit the equal of NF of which I own 2. Best part...badger rings total OTD 1986$

Nice!! You won't regret it. I run SFP. It's just personal preference and how you want to be able to use the scope honestly. I prefer to make adjustments with my turrets only. That's just me 🤙🏼. I was also torn between 2.5-20 and 4-32. I was happy to gain 12X on the top end while only losing 1.5X on the bottom end, so I went 4-32 and I'm glad I did. Also the shorter tube and steeper bell on the objective can make the
2.5-20 finicky for getting eye relief if mounting on a rail. The bell wants to hit the rail potentially before the scope is slid far enough back for the correct eye relief. Just something to think about 👍🏼👍🏼
I opted for the 4-32 over 2.5-20 for that same reason along with ease of mounting.
Do I feel that I need anything over 20x for my type of shooting/hunting? No. But like you said, 1.5x at low range is not much t lose