ZEISS CONQUEST 3 -15 x 42 NEW Rapid Z 600 Reticle FLAW?

newfiefFisher

I just received my Conquest 3-15 x42 New Rapid Z 600 scope and I am very disappointed in its quality.
Once I started looking at the detail I noticed that the Magnification Ring marker does not line up with the actual numbers. It is 1/16 of an inch past the 3x and 1/16 of an inch past the 15x.. Zeiss America says it is correct for all other magnifications, but I wonder. Not what I expect for a $1100 scope.
A second and more important FLAW I noticed is that the reticle seems to be etched incorrectly for the 350 and 450 yards. It would appear that the 350 mark is closer to the 4 than the 3, indicating that there is more of a drop in the bullet between 300 and 350 than between 350 and 400. The same appears to be true for the 450 mark. Now I know as do most of you that the bullet drops more between 350 and 400 than between 300 and 350. Also more between 450 and 500 than 400 and 450.
Zeiss America says they have placed those marks there to allow for the average of all the calibers tested for this range of scope as well as their computer generated results for those calibers. I was under the impression that their Ballistic Calculator determined the Magnification Ring setting for each calibre taking into account some of the field conditions. It would appear to me that this is just a cover up story and that in fact the etching is incorrect at the 350 and 450 mark.
The distance between the etching for the 3, 4, 5 and 6 all seem to be a little larger which is what I would expect. The 550 mark also appears to be correct. So why just the 350 and 450. I believe It is a FLAWED reticle and I think Zeiss should recall all their scopes and replace the flawed reticle with a corrected one. I have not tested this scope in the field.
Maybe someone on the list can have a look at their Rapid Z 600 and post their comments.

Thank you Sully for your reply.
I will be sending it back today.
I have noticed that all the Zeiss sites I have looked at all show the same flaw. Even the Ballistic Calculator shows the Flaw. Talked with another person and after checking their Rapid Z 600 reticle, it had the same flaw.

Newfiefisher

I know this thread is old, but I'm glad I found it and wanted to add my input.

I was thinking about purchasing another Rapid-Z 600 scope and after reading this, I decided to check the reticle on my older Zeiss 3-9x50 Rapid Z 600 to see if it has this flaw. Yes, it does! I'm shocked. I've had it for years and never noticed it! But I have never actually shot at any targets ranged at 350 or 450 yards with it either.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts