Z5,Z3

JMack

I have both a z5 3.5-18 BRH and a z3 3-10 plex. The z5 is a few ounces heavier, not that big of a deal, however is it odd that my eye prefers to shoot using the z3? I feel like I struggle to get a good sight picture at the eye box with the z5, especially when its on 18 power. The z3 doesn't matter what power its on I get a nice sight picture, its clear, crisp, no mirage (obviously because its less power). I've never killed an animal past 300, and it was done with a basic Leupold 3.5-10, so I don't see myself shooting anything more than 500 honestly. 500 would probably be my personal maximum at a live animal. It is nice to shoot targets with the 18 but I was thinking of actually getting another z3 3-10 or maybe a 4-12 with the BRH. I prefer the BRH over the BT.

The z3 I have now would be kept for PA deer hunting.

Could you possibly have a look through another Z5 at a local store or someone else's Z5 scope? I have several Z3 3-10 and Z5 3,5-18 and what you are describing makes me think there is something not quite right with your Z5. If anything I would say that my Z5 scopes are better than the Z3 scopes I have when it comes to clear images and the eye box.

My buddy has a z5 3.5-18 and it appears the same to me. Something with the eye box, mainly when its on 18x. It feels like I have to shift my head position a few times to get the full picture. When I pull up to my z3 on any power the image is right there, no head re-positioning. The z5 image and reticle are crystal clear, when my head/eye is perfectly, aligned, I just feel I struggle a little to find that perfect alignment with this scope.

Would I be correct in thinking that if you set your Z5 on 10x you don't have an issue? I have a 2.5-25 March and the eye box on it is very tight but it works for me. A friend also has the same scope and he has all sorts of issues trying to see the target. IMO it seems that the higher magnification scopes do need to be set up so they are perfectly aligned when you put your cheek on the rifle.

which mounts are you using? if its the leupold/redfield style, check to make sure the windage screws are properly centered. it could be that your z3 is set up correctly but the mounts on the z5 rifle are off axis.

naturally, the higher the magnification, the more pronounced this issue would become.

Last edited:
Currently its mounted on a Tikka T3 in Talley's, which I had no issues with alignment (at least that I could tell), rarely do with Tikkas. I'm using a medium height.

Currently its mounted on a Tikka T3 in Talley's, which I had no issues with alignment (at least that I could tell), rarely do with Tikkas. I'm using a medium height.

How 'bout closing your eyes and bring the rifle up to your shooting position. Open your eyes. Are you looking right through the center of your scope? You need to have it on a high magnification when you check it.

How 'bout closing your eyes and bring the rifle up to your shooting position. Open your eyes. Are you looking right through the center of your scope? You need to have it on a high magnification when you check it.
I'll try this tonight

I tried this on Saturday, everything lines up perfect from 3x up til about 12x that's when alignment is a little more difficult, I can find perfect alignment it just takes me some slight head adjustment to get. I'm still thinking of going back to a z3 3-10 BRH, it will save me some weight too. I feel 10x is plenty to shoot 500 yards at large game.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.