Youth rifle 243 or 300blk?

I would go 243, but I have given four 243 rifles to grandkids over the years, then bought a couple for myself and proved to myself they will do the job. Have used them on two mule deer and one antelope and they certainly do the job.
Boyds stocks are heavy. I see Remington stocks at gun shows frequently at reasonable prices. I would buy one and shorten it, keeping your original stock for when he grows up.

I would go 243, but I have given four 243 rifles to grandkids over the years, then bought a couple for myself and proved to myself they will do the job. Have used them on two mule deer and one antelope and they certainly do the job.
Boyds stocks are heavy. I see Remington stocks at gun shows frequently at reasonable prices. I would buy one and shorten it, keeping your original stock for when he grows up.
The weight was one of my worries checking the gun shows is a good idea. I can't find many youth stock options for the Ruger or the Model 7 easily. I feel like I used to see them all the time, now they are tough to locate.

The weight was one of my worries checking the gun shows is a good idea. I can't find many youth stock options for the Ruger or the Model 7 easily. I feel like I used to see them all the time, now they are tough to locate.
I think a model seven is the same footprint as any other 700 style stock, I believe I have a synthetic replacement around somewhere, if you can't find one close to you send me a PM.

The 243 is a more versatile round, I can't think of a hunting situation where I wouldn't want a 243 over the 300blk, can't say for other parts of the country but finding ammo for the 300 would be difficult in my part of the world, Finding a secondhand stock shouldn't be to hard if you choose to go that route eBay gun broker or even here are good sources for stocks as well as barrels should one decide more than a 243 is needed, a short action model 700 can be made to fit a model 7 action and stock.

My son is 4 now
Awesome age to gettem involved in hunting and shooting. Either of your options is great. I can only tell you what I'd do and try to explain why.
I'd go with the 300 BO and here is my list of reasons.
Inside of 150 yards, the larger diameter bullet may provide more blood trail in the case of poor shot placement, which is very likely with a nervous excited youth.

Buy a few boxes of subsonic ammo. Sound accounts for just as much flinch as recoil with kids. A quiet gun is far more likely to get practiced with than a loud boomer.
Theres a lot of ruger American take off stocks layin around for almost no money. Easy to cut cut off and reattach recoil pad to make your own youth stock. This is also a great project for you and your son to do together.
The 110 grain Barnes tac x ammo is great for whitetail, Speaking from experience with my son.
If you start back reloading, hammer bullets will take that blackout to another level of killing power.

"Normally ". You can buy cheapish bull fmj blackout ammo. In a couple years your boy can set in the backyard and blast away at milk jugs and pop bottles without dollar signs flashing in your eyes at every shot!
If you decide to use the ruger and have trouble finding a stock, let me know.

Again, either option is great.
The only definitely wrong answer would be a creedmoor😂

Again, either option is great.
The only definitely wrong answer would be a creedmoor😂
I am currently preparing for the day he tells me the 7.6 Creedmoor is far superior to the 308, 3006 and all the 300 Mag varieties…
I do have plenty of 300blk loaded with 110gr Amax and I have plenty of time to start sourcing the ammo for both. I like the subsonic thought too.

Alot of great advice here. Remember that alot of those Remington 700 stocks were removed for a reason (a good reason! ). If the weight is an issue, modify the current stock and put a "good stock" on it when he's grown. Just another point of view. My vote is 243 Winchester. Far more versatile. And good job dad, thinking ahead.

A nephew downed his first whitetail with a Rem 700 in .243 when he was eight. Ten years later he was successfully using it to fill his tag. I gave him a better scope for high school graduation.

Like other posters, I'd strongly recommend that round over the 300 BO based on availability and versatility.

Would you buy a custom stock to get your boy shooting a 243 or 300blk?
Looking to buy a Boyd's At One adjustable stock to put on a rifle for my son to use until he moves up. I have a Ruger American Ranch 300blk with Muzzle Brake and Rem Model 7 243 that will both be his someday but the adjustment on the Boyd's stock would get him from 12&1/2" LOP to 14" LOP. Both are factory stock rifles currently with typical not compact stocks.
Ruger and Remington youth stocks are hard to come by and for the price may want Boyd's anyways. So if I am going to spend the money, 243 or 300blk to start on coyotes to whitetails in Missouri?
Thanks in advance
If you want a Ruger American Youth Stock, I have one I will pass on for the shipping to you. My son has grown out of his and we have upgraded to full size stock.

243 gets my vote. Especially if its a 9" twist or faster. If one is very recoil sensitive, I reduce load the 80-85's, and then as they grow in body and tolerance, we go full power. 243 is great for game animals, medium to small varmints, extended range shooting, etc. 300BLK is just too limited for my liking. YMMV

With those two options, I would go .243 for sure. For light recoil, the 6mm BR type cases (6mm ARC, 6mm Dasher, etc) is stupid light. Noticeably less than a .243 without giving up to much velocity for hunting applications.