Youth rifle 243 or 300blk?

Don't reload yet. Wanting to start but haven't made the time or invested in the supplies for centerfire. Gave my shot shell setup to my cousin.
My son is 4 now but with rising costs of everything I was going to try and get the youth stock now. @Lefty G-gear 's model 7 got me thinking of the Boyd's stock.
My kids will all start on 22LR & 22WMR but at 7-9 (if they still enjoy) I figured I would move him up gradually. Already own the 243 and 300blk so was trying to avoid a whole new caliber. I assume he can stick with either caliber for whitetails or less under 200yds. He can move to larger calibers as he grows up.
I am trying to avoid from the .22LR Marlin to 30-06 Rem Classic without recoil pad like we grew up…
So I do a lot of these setups for people all the time. Do the .300 and don't think twice. Although a .243 is one of my top favorite it's still has more recoil. That's is the hardest bad habit to try and overcome. Start him with the blk and let him work up to the .243 if he's capable and confident enough to take shots out farther.
My main hunting caliber for many years has been the blk. Taken hundreds of hogs, deer, and lots of other critters with it.
I will say stay around 100-110gr bullets for the best on game performance. Ammo is on the cheaper side for practice then for hunting you can have a place load some hammer 101gr or even the cutting edge raptor 100gr and be able to take anything you want to.
Or the Barnes 110 is the best factory ammo you can get just slightly behind the custom other two I mentioned.

21 years ago I got my then 10 year old daughter a REM 700 youth rifle in .243 I found a great reduced load with little to no recoil with great accuracy at 100 yrds. I had her dry firing at home and at the range we would work with me chambering or not chambering a round to see if she was flinching, this worked great and also worked on my son a few years later, soon bumping him up to .308 After they were comfortable and flinch free I loaded up regular hunting loads and they both had great sucess over the years with no misses. Good luck to you both and enjoy that precious time in the wood with them.

Consider holdover, too. If he can hold on, one variable is removed.
Im almost always in favor of more diameter, but here isn't that place.
243 is minimal, light, anemic, not enough, etc etc. but it is sufficient for game kills with proper bullet selection and placement. My 12 year old took 6 deer and pronghorn this year with said 243 (all 1 shot each). The 300 blk stayed home. His confidence grew with each shot. His biggest consideration all season every time I asked if he wanted to use another caliber: is it flat shooting. He always went to the 243.

What about a .350 ledged? They have some bolt guns chambered in and they claim .243 like recoil. Supposed to work in an AR from what I've read.

lots of great feedback, thank you all. With all the feedback I may end up with both having youth stocks by the time he starts using them. Once it warms up here in MO he and I are going to start him plinking with his single shot .22LR. Now I just need some Youth Hearing Protection.

889088B4-5C7C-41D7-AFFD-FE0620B61586.jpeg

I just bought a Savage Axis XP Compact in .243 specifically for youth use. I am VERY impressed with. The trigger was the one downside (no AccuTrigger), but even with an 8 lb pull, I was still able to sight it in with sub-1 inch groups. I spent $20 on an mCarbo spring kit for the trigger, and the pull dropped to 3 lbs. With a 3x9 Weaver scope pre-installed, the rifle was $375 out the door. So for under $400, I have a sweet-shooting.243 with a reduced LOP that a kid can beat the crap out of without me wincing every time it's bumped on a tree or rock.

My grandson is not that young, but at eight years old, we found the 7mm08 an excellent choice. I originally gave him a .243, but he shot a deer and it got away with no blood trail. I re-chambered the rifle to a 7mm08 and several deer later, we have not had that experience. In our area, (Cascade Mountains) the .243 is very marginal even with proper shot placement.

.243 gets the nod from me! That's what we have our grandkids shooting. My granddaughter shot her first 3 Deer last year with hers...she was 13. Lots of 243 ammo generally available in out of the way locations ( at least during normal years)

Especially when folks STICK TO THE TOPIC! I put in my vote for .243 but why not just buy a 32 lb. 50 bmg....you can really have something for your kids to grow into....geeeeez!
Some get distracted easily on here. But it's ok, if I decide to buy him another rifle I got plenty of good ideas!
243 got the majority by an overwhelming total here and between my buddies. Since I already have both there isn't really a wrong answer. In fact, both having stock options may be the best answer…
Grandpa always told me invest in stock options, I wonder if this counts???

Recent Posts