Youth - 260 Rem or 25.06??

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
I have experience with the .25-06 & love it! I've no experience with the
As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
While I have experience with the .25-06 and I love it I have no experience with the .260, however I hear nothing but good about it. (I don't think that you can go wrong with a Savage) At this point - where we are all at now, I may let ammo availability make my decision. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

25-06 easy 500 yd rifle. Easy on Recoil. A little better down range due to velocity, 115 grain will do just fine. I kind of look at the 260 as a slow boat to china. I have taken a great many muley with a 25-06. Easy to hand load, brass can be resized from 270, and 30-06 and a few others, if you can't purchase across the counter. The only reason I don't use it anymore, is I feel it's a little small for elk. Where I hunt at, I hunt both at the same time.

My kiddos did not have any problems with recoil--if I had to give a suggestion, get a suppressor and have what ever you get threaded. We shoot a lot with a "can" and it makes a remarkable difference in how young ones shoot. I have found muzzle blast does about as much harm as the "kick" my little guy regularly shoots a 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm mag, 308, without much trouble--all while wearing a can..take it off and he flinches with a 22-250...just a thought.

I am amazed at the number of votes for the 260!

The 25-06 is a better choice for a first big game rife when using factory ammunition only.

I will concede, however, that handloading for reduced recoil blurs the differences between two fine cartridges. This also weights a bit in favor of the .260 because one will eventually want to use heavier bullets for larger animals.

I would go with the Remington 7mm-08. It will shoot both deer and Elk, in fact a bunch of people say it is their best deer rifle. It will handle bullets up to 170 grain for elk.
OP- if you buy the 260, you can rebarrel to the 7-08 later on then he has an acceptable cartridge for deer and elk should the opportunity arise. The 260 has killed plenty of elk as well I'm sure.

after teaching 6 kids how to shoot and hunt and now working on grandkid number 14 I have found the 243. Works pretty good my 14 year old grand daughter shot an elk at 125 yards with her 243. One shot it dropped , I like to focus on one shot one kill

I started all four of my kids on the .260 and they all had great success shooting it well and thus killing with it. There are not 176 commercially loaded options like the Creed, but there are plenty to accomplish anything from Antelope to Elk. It is also a very easy cartridge to load for. The 25-06 is also a gem and you couldn't do wrong with either. 3 of the 4 still hunt mostly with the .260 despite having several chamberings to choose from.

My .260's have never seen factory ammo, rather reload for accuracy and bullet choice. I'm sure the 25-06 is a great cartridge, I just never owned one. My other son started with a .257 Roberts, so nothing against .25.

My older son is 13 now. He started hunting at 8 with a 223, at 10 used a downloaded 6.5x47 for one season, and then moved to full power 6.5 Creedmoor. His load for the last few years has been a 147 ELD going 2790. Lately, he's been asking me about bigger cartridges with more oomph and range. I am a fan of the 6.5s and would say 260. It can be easily turned into a 260AI and hand loaded later for a bit more range.

Recent Posts