Your Ultimate 500 Yard Rig

Shoalwater

Velocity and accuracy? Thanks
Won't know until probably April or so, in the middle of moving out of my house, and our new house wont finish construction until March. All my reloading stuff will be in storage until then. I'll do a write up on it once I get a chance to get it up and running.

Rich Coyle

Long sticks get stuck in the trees.
Exposed target turrets get moved accidently while hiking.
I proved this incorrect for me. I had a 28" rifle with brake added. I carried it for a full season in Western Oregon, which is a five weeks long. It hung up one time. I stopped to check how short the barrel would have to be. I would have to cut off six inches of the barrel and forget the brake. Open country you could pack a three foot barrel is you wanted.

Golovkin

.338 RUM, factory rifle with a VariXIII bdc. 250gr. Swift A-Frame.

Or

.300 win mag in a model 70 with180gr. Partition

bbraden

I proved this incorrect for me. I had a 28" rifle with brake added. I carried it for a full season in Western Oregon, which is a five weeks long. It hung up one time. I stopped to check how short the barrel would have to be. I would have to cut off six inches of the barrel and forget the brake. Open country you could pack a three foot barrel is you wanted.
Maybe you are very short? eheheh I couldn't help myself.

operator1

Browning x bolt 300 wm with vortex 4-16. Can't beat the 300 win mag for all around. Noticed others like the 300 also.

Rich Coyle

Maybe you are very short? eheheh I couldn't help myself.
I am the poster boy for the little old man. Seventy-four years old and five feet seven inches tall at a whopping 155 pounds. It's been thirty years since I did that test. In those days I was wearing large shirts because my arms and shoulders were much larger. Last year I was clear down to small shirts.

But let me brag a bit. In the last year I joined a gym and normally go six days a week. My shoulders gained five inches. My leg press went from 150 pounds to 380 pounds for twenty reps. My curls aren't so impressive. I went from 30 pounds to 45 pounds for twenty reps. Wanna arm wrestle?:) That's why I use six lug ultra-light Mark V's .

Good

I like to hike far...so one gun for anything out to 500 in Griz country would be .338 win mag..bedded fiberglass stock, Leupold 4.5x14x50(30mm),trigger kit at 2lbs,stainless, lightweight, brake or no brake,...does not have to be anything fancy if it is at least an inch at 100yds
I like it, but not based on the belted magnum case. I need to research the 33 Nosler.

Wraith Hunter

Inspired by John Spadaro's thread found here:
https://longrangehunting.com/threads/help-chosing-an-elk-cartridge.211198/

What is your ULTIMATE rifle outfit for ~500yds on North American big game? Think packing WAY back/up in there with a shot of a lifetime on a trophy animal that has never seen a human.

Long/short action? Caliber? Action? Stock? Optic? Trigger? etc. Overkill is fine; what is your ULTIMATE dream rig for out to 500?
I have harvested numerous Elk at distance exceeding 400 yards. And, I have witnessed several Elk hit with 308, 30-06, 270 etc escape without flinching from a shot that resulted in a dead Elk not being found, or found after the meat became unusable.

Shot placement is critical! All of the rounds stated above will easily kill an Elk when the round hits the heart. Lung shots at distance become dicey unless a high velocity round is used. To that end, I use Weatherby. For Elk, I use .300 Weatherby with 180 grain ballistic tip. I have not had an Elk shot at 600 yards travel more than 50 yards when a lung shot is made with my 300 Weatherby and a 180 grain bullet.

Yes, Weatherbys are pricey. However, what is the cost of a hunting trip when an Elk is only wounded and not harvested? Weatherby ammo is pricy, but the hyper velocity is very effective and well worth the $.

So, for me, the ultimate big game weapon is a 300 Weatherby with a Nikon 4-18 scope, muzzle brake and I use a PAST recoil pad.

Aoudad shooter1975

I have a 338 norma project laying in pieces in my office I'm looking at...also have one light like yours on a EH1 and 24 in proof barrel--it is a hammer.

Ed

sp6x6

I dont recall its been long enough ago.It was a KK Jense build,which is now Proof.I have one that is 9# bare,that one was 7-2 0z bare.

kday.338rum

I just built a 7mm SAUM on tikka action, with a 1 in 8 twist 24” #3 Brux barrel and a 1/4” tombstone recoil lug. Weighs 8 1/2 scoped with a 3-18x50 vx-6 and will shoot 5 180 gr bergers at 2950 FPS into an 1 1/2” at 300 yds. I really like it if you couldn’t tell. Lol