Your SHTF mandatory gun list.

I would start off with 22 LR with a standard velocity ammo because if you are hunting you can do it quietly so as not to draw attention to you position.

Next up would be 357 Mag revolver with 180 gr. to 200 gr handloads that will give you a in the front and out the back wound cavity which the Army Wound Ballistics Lab director recommended.

Per the Army Wound Ballistics Lab the 223/5.56 has the highest lethality in the first 95 YARDS !!!! That makes it a NOGO in my book.

Finally the 308 with 175 grain hunting bullets which will allow engagement of targets to 800 yards.

The choice of the action you have in 308 may require the carry of extra parts to keep it going. There are very few that will keep on keeping on with a parts change.

The most reliable and durable rifle ever made was the 1903 Springfield.
with the 22LR remember Red Dawn, If you good you can collect a lot from the Bodies left over :)

One aspect is to become independent off grid and being able to defend it. That IMO is virtually impossible. Unless you have 10' concrete walls, razor wire, moat filled with oil, 25 Rottweilers, ad nauseam.

If you are off grid….. away from any cities/towns, a long way from interstates/railroads, and do not have a "neon sign" advertising your location you will be relatively safe from large groups, as most will not survive long enough to be an issue! However, your rural neighbors may be your problem. Perhaps now would be a grand time to develop a good "public relations" program! Your neighbors will have the same challenges as you…..a community group "could" provide some protection against the few "ferals" that stumble upon your locale! JMO memtb

SHTF = "NO RULES DAYS" (NRD) in my book. Living in the hurricane box, its not unusual to lose power for 3-14 days. I've never seen "no rules days" here.

But if NRD do descend upon you, put the notion in the back of your mind that when rules are once again restored/imposed, you will be held accountable for your actions. So remain the sheepdog and do not transition into a wolf.

Pretty lengthy list of blasters in most posts...

As my Gunny used to say, "you pack it, you hump it". Every round, every ounce, adds up when you're on your feet carrying a load.

So, if SHTF consider your loadout very carefully.

IMO, there are 3 different basic scenarios to consider and my weapons/loadout are different for each one.
1. Hunkered down
2. Mobile-on foot
3. Mobile-by vehicle
Each has it's own load-out parameters/plan.

SHTF, you need a good plan IN PLACE that should include like-minded neighbors; going at it alone is not a good plan. Of course a plan is just a plan, once *hit starts rolling down hill, most plans fly out the window and in need of adjustment (Murphy always gets a say in your plan). As is often said, "most folks don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan".

In my book, you need just 2 blasters, a handgun and a rifle. Both of which you are very proficient and have plenty of ammo.

And don't forget that stout edged weapon!

Absolutely frigg'n correct! ^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^ memtb

Leatherman Rebar is always in my pocket and has 2 blades, pliers, file, tools on it.

Ruger PCC 9mm (takes Glock mags and those aren't exactly scarce).

.22LR, have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux with 28" barrel and sub-sonic ammo through that is quieter than my air rifle.

Remington 870... b/c 12 gauge. Shot shells, Slugs, Sabots, good for nearly everything this way from 2-200 yds.

AR-15

Tikka 30.06. Light and accurate.

Last edited:
This right here.

I have an AR9, FNS, and Sig for CCW. All 9mm.

Get a "get back" bag together that gets you home to your family. Your best defense is bonding with your community/neighborhood. Even my little small subdivision can mount a pretty good protection for everyone involved. Is it sad that we actually have to plan these things now?
100%. A strong and like minded community is exceptionally powerful. Combined resources and capabilities instead of having to (trying) to go it alone and always watching over your shoulder.