Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

I have two Gunwerks rifles and both shoot flawlessly. One shoots the 180 Hybrid and has worked great for me ever since I bought it. I have had this rifle for at least 10-12 years maybe even longer. I bought it as a complete shooting system, i.e. Rifle, Scope, Rangefinder and Ammo. I have since started loading my own ammo with the components Gunwerks told me they used for their factory ammo and the loads shoot great as well. Unbelievably confident while using this rifle, it just shoots great for me. The last one I purchased I just bought the rifle, added a scope and started working up a load for it. It took a bit but once I got the right combination it shot lights out. The rifle is a half MOA shooter all day long with my hand loads.

I just purchased a new rifle that is a McWhorters Custom in 300 PRC and have not had a chance to ring it out yet. My first trek to the range did produced a sub 1/2 MOA group with factory 212 ELD-X ammo. Once I start loading for it I hope I can reproduce those results with the handloads as I won't use the ELD-X for hunting.
Life side tracked me for a while, but I need to get this rifle ordered. Curious what caliber are your Gunwerks? I'm still considering Flat Creek Rifles (McWhorter), GAP, and a couple others. Did you have Flat Creek or McWhorter build your 300 PRC, how's it shooting, and what scope did you decide on for it?

Last edited:
I used to have my target and LR rigs built by one 'smith, but when he retired, he was gracious enough to sell his equipment to me, I already had a mill and a lathe, but I am an Engine Reconditioner by trade and his gadgets were foreign to me.
Since then with his training I have built my own rifles to his same standards and could not be happier with the outcome.
I get consistent 1/4 MoA with all of them, some do .1's in limited shots of 40 rounds. I had a time buying 3 groove barrels cuz everyone was praising them to death…didn't work out for me, accuracy was bad, then I found the bullets were stripping in the bore.
Anyway, I bought an International Arms mil spec rifle, it only barely lived up to it's claims and was sent back, was replaced in full and now is an absolute tack driver, but I will never do it again when I can build them just as good, if not better…

Cheers.

RBros new address:

1708950846120.png

Alamo Precision IMO is the best. Many others mentioned seem to add $1000 just for their name.

I have owned McWhorter. VERY nice rifle but had difficult time matching their accuracy. It was their 6.5 Weatherby Magnum.
My GAP .308 never shot under an inch; it used a trued 700 action though.
Brown precision built my first custom in 1988 using a trued 700 action.

Life side tracked me for a while, but I need to get this rifle ordered. Curious what caliber are your Gunwerks? I'm still considering Flat Creek Rifles (McWhorter), GAP, and a couple others. Did you have Flat Creek or McWhorter build your 300 PRC, how's it shooting, and what scope did you decide on for it?
My McWhorter 45XML is a hammer. Couldnt be more impressed od it's build quality or accuracy. It literally shoots better than me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240205_104026_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104026_Gallery.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 13
Mine isn't as cool or custom as others, but I like it.
Weatherby Vanguard Action
Oregon Mountain Rifles CF Faster Twist Barrel and Brake
Bell and Carlson Stock
Stock was fitted and bedded by Axisworks
Timney Trigger
Burris Veracity 3x15 scope with Seekins Rings and EGW Rail

It shoots well. I developed a load with 128gr Hammer Hunters. This is 3 shots at 500 Yards. Copper strikes are the Hammers. The lead strikes are the same gun with 135gr Berger, the Berger load is not developed yet, that was a test load. The rifle tends to put 2 shots almost touching, then the 3rd moves a little.
Love my OMRCarbon barrel