Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
a couple,

6.5 x 284

338 edge or similar Allen mag.

I have Shawn & DEF Edge here nearby in ID and I go to central MT alot and used to live there. So many Options lets see-------------------------------------->gun)

My prior thread was for the purpose of creating the finalist candidates for this poll.

So the question is SPECIFICALLY, if you had to start all over with currently having no big game rifles, in which of these cartridges would you chamber your next big game rifle?

Probably a 300 wsm or a 7 mm

Recently completed building a 6.5 Grendel AR and accuracy tuning a WHBY MKV 223 (A gift from a friend I introduced to hunting and shooting).

The 6.5 is an excellent caliber and It replaced a 5.56 carbine, 5.56 DCM Match AR, and a 223 Varminter AR. What the 223/5,56 lacked, the 6.5 Grendel more than adequately make's up for. I will be building a 16" carbine in a couple of months.

I just finished tuning the factory trigger, and installed Burris 2-piece tactical bases (20)MOA, with NF rings. Topped off with a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 scope. I sighted it in yesterday at 200 yards. Then I confirmed come ups to 600 yds.

Been considering building a 338 RUM on a RemLA. However, I'm waiting for the results on some develops my gunsmith is working on.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Having William Rosco of Louisiana Precison Rifles building my 300 RUM . And ordered a 338 tac action from Stillers and ordered a 338 Bruxs barrel for my next build and its going to be a 338 Norma.Cant wait

I might have mentioned a 22 way back in the thread, can't remember.

Volquartsen Precision makes some really accurate and expensive, I might add, 22 and 17 HMR/Mach2 rifles and accurizing kits.

I use their modifications in a 22 rimfire pistol I shoot in indoor 50 foot match, the can really make a gun shopo Ruger a tack driver and actually have a decent trigger. Mine pulls a 2 pounds, no creep and no pre-travel, just like it's supposed to....

Rugers, in general, have the most awful triggers and they all need some massaging IMO.

I get a kick out of the pop-up ad I get on this site about the Ruger 22/45 Lite that weighs just 22.8 ounces. What they don't say is the gun weighs 22.8 ounces and the trigger pulls at 22.8 ounces.......:D

Kidd makes some dandy stuff too.

I have the big bore stuff but it sure is nice to go out back and do some informal plinking and not go broke. For 10 bucks you can shoot all day.

Whatever you build, be sure to add the Volks titanium sure strike firing pin and exact edge extractor. That way you can actually shoot the really cheap stuff with no issues.

You'll have fun with it, I'm sure.

Yeah, I sold my standard 10/22 action and upgrades and I'm gonna do this one right lol. Prob gonna use mostly Kidd accessories, I think. My original barrel upgrade shot "lights out", and that's going back into the build.

Most times, a good custom barrel of any brand will 'shoot the lights out'. It's more about the mount between the barrel and the receiver and how the barrel boss engages the receiver internally and the clamping method and torque of the fasteners. Remember, in a 22, the barrel is the chamber. Small discrepancies in alignment cause inaccuracy.

I've seen box stock 10-22's that are tack drivers with factory barrels that have been very carefully mounted. Of course thay all had reworked triggers....lol

There is no way you can obtain accuracy with a 10-22 with a stock trigger group but they are so easy to upgrade, it's child's play.

I actually have a shoe box filled with OEM components like trigger groups, grips, sights and assorted items that need to go on Flea-Bay.

Getting off thread here so I'll desist.

My next rifle purchases will be 2 each 25-06's.....one for each boy. I grew up on 25-06 and have lots of good memories. I still have the rifle and love it. If I'm having to start all over, It would be the 300wm and eventually another wsm, and then a 7mm, and I've never owned a 30-06 so I'de get one of those too. I could go on and on.