Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
My Next Rifle And Only Custom Rifle Per Say Is A 6.5X 284 Norma.

Corlanes in Dawson Creek BC Canada Is Building It For Me
Im Not Real Good At This Forum Stuff But HAve A Couple Questions.
The Action Is A Defiance Long
The Barrel Is A # 5 Sporter 5R 1/8 By Krieger 28" Free Floated W FTE Break.
The Trigger Is A Jewel Set At 3/4 Pound
And The Stock Is Pillar Bedded. It Is A Hs Precision Thumbhole
And Topped It Off With A 5.5-22x56mm NF NP R1 W/ Zero Stop.'
I Am wondering What To Put for a Rail on the Action I was Told You Could Only Use Custom Ones Built B y Defiance Is This True. Or Should I Just Go With Talley Scope Rings W ith Built In Bases.
Thanks For Any Input.

Born2hunt,

If the defiance action is a take off of the Remington 700 long action there shouldn't be a problem. The NF rail should work also. The action should be drilled and tapped for 8x40 mounting screws.

On another note I just order a 6.5 grendel 24" barrel and upper reciever for my next AR build. I hope to recieve it in the next 8-9 weeks.

Gonzo

I was told I need 20deg rail but went with the Talley because they're light ansd strong and haven't had a problem

Thanks For The Input GonzoK34 I Just talked to me Gunsmith and he said the same thing. I Am Going With A defiance Long Action 20 MOA Tapered Base And Night Force medium Rings. Thanks Again.

With the 6.5 x 284 Norma and 20 MOA angled base mount you'll be able to reach out quite a distance without using up your scopes minutes of elevation. This permits you to dial up on long distance targets.

Good Luck.

"Shoot at air, you kill air" vs "Range it, Dial it, Kill It"

That's what I learned in the U. S> Marine Corps.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Thanks Man I Hope That I Will Be Happy With My New Custom Rig Only Time Will Tell Anything You Would Have Done Different Pros Or Cons With My Rig. It Will Be My Deer Elk Moose Gun and Sheep Next Year.

This looks like a dead thread. Maybe it'll come back around. I've really been eyeballing the 7STW. Hey, why wasn't my 300 WBY on the list too??lightbulb

In answer to BoltActionBob's question about why his .300Wby was not on the list: I think the trend in accuracy gunsmithing has been away from cases which headspace on the belt versus the shoulder for a long time now...but the 7 Rem Mag is probably the most common LRH in this class so what do I know. The issue of brass cost probably also plays a big role. Some designs are just more easily tuned, kind of like Beta vs VHS, now both have been eclipsed.
I have a 300Wby barrel for my R93 Blaser African rifle, so I am not anti your calibre.

Tell me a little aboit the 7mm/338 Norma, sounds interesting. Do you have any specs? What powders and bullets are you using?

Thanks, Ed

Recent Posts