Votes: 452 31.6%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
The Spruce Grouse sitting in a Spruce tree. I always started at the bottom grouse and worked my way up. Those with a fresh red salmon. What a feast.

I switched over to a 22 Ruger Single Six mag pistol when the snow flys. Arrows dam hard to find in a foot or two of snow.

If your shooting a bow at any animal over 60 yards you need to re evaluate your hunting ethics.
Ive shot field archery for years and the longest shot is 80 yards with a 60lb or even 65 lb bow.
Im sure it can be done just a bad idea and the chance of a clean kill are not in the archers odds. Most archers wont shoot past 40 and these are ones that shoot all year round in tournaments when it comes to hunting.

If your shooting a bow at any animal over 60 yards you need to re evaluate your hunting ethics.
Ive shot field archery for years and the longest shot is 80 yards with a 60lb or even 65 lb bow.
Im sure it can be done just a bad idea and the chance of a clean kill are not in the archers odds. Most archers wont shoot past 40 and these are ones that shoot all year round in tournaments when it comes to hunting.

Marty, Thank you

Ethics are in the head of the hunter and not in the equipment he uses.

Like you I have shot field Archery for many years, I shoot a 26 lb compound bow.
I have placed 2nd and 3rd. in the Nationals at various times. Prior to that I shot
a 25lb recurve bow in NAA tournaments and won the Canadian Nationals once.
Shooting a bow that light is my choice and I have spent hours and hours of practice to perfect it.

Hopefully with the Hunter Education classes being taught, a LARGE DOSE of
ETHICS is given to each and every student.

Gator, nice shot. How about a few details? ( stalking, tree stand, or Blind).
I was hunting in Wyoming, and 3 or 4 days before, killed a very nice P&Y antelope over a waterhole--that shot was about 20 yards. The next few days I hunted mulies and finally got within about 50 yards of this buck. This was the one and only deer I shot with a bow that I did not shoot out of a tree stand. Looking back now, it was a shot I should not have taken, but again, luck was on my side. What was really neat- Glenn St Charles founder of the P&Y club was also hunting the ranch at the same time and I spent quite a bit of time with him and his friends that week. It was a quite a trip.

Martyj
I too shot field archery for years and the 80 yd shots are just as easy as the 40 yd shots. If you know the distance and have a sight on you bow that can go to that range then its not hard. We shot 100 and 125 and 150 from our club at practice all the time and yes if the wind is at 15 it is probably not going to happen but we all shot good enough to kill at 100 with ease. I also think deer don't flinch much when the shooter is that far away because the noise is reduced dramatically. Don't try this at home but we used to stand beside the crap house when people were shooting at the long shots 100, 125, and 150 and you could barely hear the shot break. Just the swish as the arrow went past. People using big magnum rifles shooting over 1000 yard have the same deal, know the range and set the scope and break the shot. The biggie is wind and only the wind, the shooting part is not hard if you do it all the time. So you too Maryj could shoot a deer at 100 yds if you sighted your bow in for this and had a range finder and no wind and a deer that did not move. And really the deer moving is not much of an issue because they spend most of their time standing still. I am on a quest for the 100 yd shot on a deer this year and hope to get it on film. You can too.

Martyj
I too shot field archery for years and the 80 yd shots are just as easy as the 40 yd shots. If you know the distance and have a sight on you bow that can go to that range then its not hard. We shot 100 and 125 and 150 from our club at practice all the time and yes if the wind is at 15 it is probably not going to happen but we all shot good enough to kill at 100 with ease. I also think deer don't flinch much when the shooter is that far away because the noise is reduced dramatically. Don't try this at home but we used to stand beside the crap house when people were shooting at the long shots 100, 125, and 150 and you could barely hear the shot break. Just the swish as the arrow went past. People using big magnum rifles shooting over 1000 yard have the same deal, know the range and set the scope and break the shot. The biggie is wind and only the wind, the shooting part is not hard if you do it all the time. So you too Maryj could shoot a deer at 100 yds if you sighted your bow in for this and had a range finder and no wind and a deer that did not move. And really the deer moving is not much of an issue because they spend most of their time standing still. I am on a quest for the 100 yd shot on a deer this year and hope to get it on film. You can too.

WELL NOW! !! If your expecting a sermon on hunter ethics forget it.
You know full well The risks and are capable of shooting 6 arrows into
a 9 inch circle at 100 yards. If indeed this is the case, you will probably
be able to accomplish this task.

I am a firm believer that ethics in every endeavor dwell with in the person
who is attempting feats that others would never dream of. It's those dreamers
who dare to dwell out side the box, that bring home the gold.

WELL NOW! !! If your expecting a sermon on hunter ethics forget it.
You know full well The risks and are capable of shooting 6 arrows into
a 9 inch circle at 100 yards. If indeed this is the case, you will probably
be able to accomplish this task.

I am a firm believer that ethics in every endeavor dwell with in the person
who is attempting feats that others would never dream of. It's those dreamers
who dare to dwell out side the box, that bring home the gold.

I am just saying a 100 yd bow kill would be no different than a 1000 yd gun kill. Both have the same risk reward percentage. This is only my opinion. Shep

I am just saying a 100 yd bow kill would be no different than a 1000 yd gun kill. Both have the same risk reward percentage. This is only my opinion. Shep

That wasn't meant to be a lecture. I don't believe in stepping on other peoples
dreams. I don't believe in a 40 yard limit for bowhunters either.

I shot a 3 pt mulie on the trot at 45 yards quartering away. I have seen enough good shooters and with the equipment today that could easily take solid clean quick kills out to 60 yards. 40 is my max comfort zone but i have a 60 yard pin zeroed on my bow and can put all shots into a paper plate sized target. My big thing is clean kills no tracking an animal all day. practice practice. When I finally dropped the big cash for my Bowtech and right equipment my consistency and shooting satisfaction was unbelievable.

I shot a 3 pt mulie on the trot at 45 yards quartering away. I have seen enough good shooters and with the equipment today that could easily take solid clean quick kills out to 60 yards. 40 is my max comfort zone but i have a 60 yard pin zeroed on my bow and can put all shots into a paper plate sized target. My big thing is clean kills no tracking an animal all day. practice practice. When I finally dropped the big cash for my Bowtech and right equipment my consistency and shooting satisfaction was unbelievable.

Ken, Nice to see a success story. Congratulations.

The comfort zone is where it's at. I have a comfort zone and when I stay within
it I get quick kills, with little or no tracking. I live on 10 flat acres, and have
targets out to 100 yards and practice with shooting intervals every 10 yards.
Like you my comfort zone is 40 - 45 yard.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.