Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
rem338win

Time has a habit of moving on. That is sometimes best. Whole new adventures
await us just around the bend. I'm breaking in a New Sav. 111 LDH 7MM.
I almost bought the .338 Lapua, but I was afraid i would get my but kicked
clear across the barn yard, This 7mm Rem mag. is so sweet to shoot and just a little bump when it barks.

Take care and good luck.

100+ yards with a bow? First off I hope this would not include people who pretend hunting with a crossbow is "archery" hunting. Second, anyone who hail-marys an arrow at 100+ yards at an animal probably kills more than they bother tracking... My longest is 67 yards on an elk only becuase conditions were perfect. I can't imagine even the most skilled and diciplined archers taking a shot on a live animal at anything over 80.

dandc,

Howdy,

I agree with you on the crossbow and hand held bow synopsis. First of all there is about a 100 lbs difference in the draw weights. Like comparing
a muzzel loader to an AR15. the only thing that remains constant is thst
a missel is launched down range.

The compound bow has come a long way in improving the distances shot
and the scores compiled. But, the fact remains the bow is drawn by hand
and the string is held by hand until the arrow is released.

Archer, Howard Hill Has kills recorded with the long bow at over 100 yards.
Luck? Maybe and maybe not. Only he could tell you of the hours of practice
he put in to acheive this marksmanship.

As for bowmen achieving 100yds+ kills? I personally will leave that to the
bowman drawing the bow.

My Bou taken at 67 yards, in North Slope Alaska. June 10th 2010 with my Hoyt Maxis 31 set @ 63lbs

A long shot is a long shot just make sure you are positive in you ability to make it an ethical shot.

Attachments

• Carabou black bear hunt 020.jpg
    Carabou black bear hunt 020.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 21
My Bou taken at 67 yards, in North Slope Alaska. June 10th 2010 with my Hoyt Maxis 31 set @ 63lbs

A long shot is a long shot just make sure you are positive in you ability to make it an ethical shot.

Above is a statement that couldn't be more true and is applicable to all hunters and shooters.

In order to achieve the positive attitude you must PRACTICE, PRACTICE,
PRACTICE. But remember it's perfect Practice that makes perfect scores.
When the correct disciplines are applied your scores will reflect the effort.

Arrowed a pope and young antelope last fall at 65 yards green scored 78 hopeful he makes top fifty in state all time books used mathews reezen. nd shuttle t lock broadheads easton arrows fun stuff

Had a great archery season last year arrowed a 78" antelope buck at 65 yds hopeful to make top fifty in mont books then also arrowed one of closest a pope and young mountain lion at 8yds out of a tree stand i was hunted before i took part in the hunting

Congradulations, Those speed goats are hard to hit. especially when
the ballistic speed of my arrows keep comming in second.

I did catch one with the sun in his eyes at 50 yds, but, the broadhead
picked up a twig on an juniper and took off for parts unknown.

Most kills end up at 30yds. Longest at 40 to 45. But I only practise out to 55, I hate when my arrows go missing past that at 7 bucks a shaft. I shot a grouse once at 25......ft

Cheers

Most kills end up at 30yds. Longest at 40 to 45. But I only practice out to 55, I hate when my arrows go missing past that at 7 bucks a shaft. I shot a grouse once at 25......ft

Cheers

Yes, at 7 bucks a shaft, 3 bucks for fletching, .50 for paint dipping
7 bucks for a broadhead, .70-for an insert and .80 for a knock.
looks like 19 to 22 bucks apeice. If you build them yourself.

That's why I sometimes spend time with my little 4 tine rake finding them.
Then there's the once in a while oops and kathunk! You get to salvage your shaft, but leave your broadhead in the tree.

BowHunting,ie Archery is not a cheap sport. But an enjoyable pastime.

Sounds like you have a fair amount of success That's Great.
Remember Practice Practice Practice and keep them in the middle.

This is an old thread but the first one to come across as a new member. To those of you who say bull---- to a long archery shot being possible please take the time to watch a copy of Ben Pearsons greatest hunts. While I don,t advocate anybody shooting beyond their ability, it doesn,t mean it can,t be done. If you wish not to take the time to watch the video, Ben shoots a polar bear at 80 to 100 yrds and a javalina at close to 300. This is with a recurve bow in the 1940,1950 circa. I believe. In my early days of bowhunting, 1980s, I shot a small forkhorn blacktail buck at 135 yards facing me straight on. the arrow went in at the base of the throat and into the heart. Pure poophouse luck for sure and would not attempt ever again knowing what I now know. While it is cool to watch a waterfilled milkjug explode way out there with a rifle, shooting a mature, unaware blacktail buck at six feet is a rush. Do I wish to aquire the skill to shoot a rifle accuratley at longer ranges than I can now? Yes, most certainly. That is one of the reasons for coming on board this sight. Thanks for welcoming me in and I hope I can contribute something positive, or at least humorus for the members. P.S. Let me tell you about the time a steelhead jumped in the driftboat with me. HA! HA!

This is an old thread but the first one to come across as a new member. To those of you who say bull---- to a long archery shot being possible please take the time to watch a copy of Ben Pearsons greatest hunts. While I don,t advocate anybody shooting beyond their ability, it doesn,t mean it can,t be done. If you wish not to take the time to watch the video, Ben shoots a polar bear at 80 to 100 yrds and a javalina at close to 300. This is with a recurve bow in the 1940,1950 circa. I believe. In my early days of bowhunting, 1980s, I shot a small forkhorn blacktail buck at 135 yards facing me straight on. the arrow went in at the base of the throat and into the heart. Pure poophouse luck for sure and would not attempt ever again knowing what I now know. While it is cool to watch a waterfilled milkjug explode way out there with a rifle, shooting a mature, unaware blacktail buck at six feet is a rush. Do I wish to aquire the skill to shoot a rifle accuratley at longer ranges than I can now? Yes, most certainly. That is one of the reasons for coming on board this sight. Thanks for welcoming me in and I hope I can contribute something positive, or at least humorus for the members. P.S. Let me tell you about the time a steelhead jumped in the driftboat with me. HA! HA!

Welcome aboard, everyone's input is different than the next person and
usually adds to the previous post. I began my archery career in 1957. Shooting a recurve, our shooting regimen consisted of practice every day
and shooting 100 yards at a forty-eight inch face with a nine inch yellow
bulls eye. Any hits out of the red were frowned upon.

Yes, I have seen both Ben Pearson's and Fred Bear's Hunting movies along with several other notables. Thoses guys didn't hesitate about taking a
long shot at well over 200 yards. Keep in mind they shot a competition of
180 yards at all of the NAA Nationals. 36 arrows at a forty eight foot circle
on the ground. The center marked with a flag on a pole. This competition is
still shot, but at 235 Yards for compounds. So it's no wonder they felt confident at the yardage the chose to shoot.

Note. Most of the arrows shot from compounds hit the ground at less than 45
degrees. More like 10 to 15 degrees.

It's more fun when you keep them in the middle and Practice, Practice Practice.

Please don't encourage this kind of activity. In Alaska we see the results of so many irresponsible shots by archers on caribou it is embarrassing to the archery community. How about a question of how close is your big game kill?

Please don't encourage this kind of activity. In Alaska we see the results of so many irresponsible shots by archers on caribou it is embarrassing to the archery community. How about a question of how close is your big game kill?

Thank you for your reply Rob. I resided in Anchorage three years and Kodiak Island for another three years. That was back in the seventy's I don't recall
there were at that time any particular problems with irresponsible archers.
The good lord installed a organ called a brain in most people, but, occasionally
I suspect that an individual gets over looked. Hopefully the Hunter Safety
Program has reached enough archers in Alaska to curtail shots taken by archers who risk wounding any of the beautiful animals there.

History is history, it's really best if it's not forgotten or rewritten as occurs on such a regular basis these days. There are lessons to be learned.

My long distance kill is listed in the front end of this thread.

Practice Practice Practice. It's better to have them in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.