Your .338 Lapua hunting round

It has been nearly 4 years; what bullet(s) did you end up trying?
I've been running 270 eldx with really good results. Both accuracy and terminal performance has been positive. Peterson brass, retumbo, fed 215s. I was using Nosler brass and switched to the Peterson and actually gained quite a bit of speed.

Just curious on what guys are liking for a hunting round out of their .338 LM. I've been shooting the 280 Barnes. I've had good luck with them, nothing spectacular, but I'm almost out and pretty sure there is something better. Was looking at the 300 Bergers but after an "incident" with a Berger from my 6.5x284 I'm a bit hesitant. Not wanting to start a hate post, just curious what everyone likes.
Burger 250 grain elite hunter and Barnes TTSX BT 225 grain
image.jpg

I've been running 270 eldx with really good results. Both accuracy and terminal performance has been positive. Peterson brass, retumbo, fed 215s. I was using Nosler brass and switched to the Peterson and actually gained quite a bit of speed.

Thank you for the return update! I know most of us look forward to and appreciate updates on previous questions.

I'm not a .338 Lapua fan anymore so I run the .338 Norma Mag instead. I've worked on loads for the folks stuck in non-lead states, trying to find combinations which work for those bullets. We have a better selection currently for hunting and Match bullets fortunately.

I have an excellent load using the 225 Nosler E-Tip solid over Re26 which is very accurate and harvests quite successfully.

The 236 gr. Hammer Hunter works well also but it's not quite as aerodynamic. No big deal though, just run an accurate drop chart.

Thanks again!

:)

Just curious on what guys are liking for a hunting round out of their .338 LM. I've been shooting the 280 Barnes. I've had good luck with them, nothing spectacular, but I'm almost out and pretty sure there is something better. Was looking at the 300 Bergers but after an "incident" with a Berger from my 6.5x284 I'm a bit hesitant. Not wanting to start a hate post, just curious what everyone likes.
The 285 ELDM works fabulously believe it or not. Gonna take it out to Wyoming for a mule deer hunt this Oct and try it out on something a bit further away. Longest kill on a 215lb whitetail was 470.

The 285 ELDM works fabulously believe it or not. Gonna take it out to Wyoming for a mule deer hunt this Oct and try it out on something a bit further away. Longest kill on a 215lb whitetail was 470.
I've talked to a couple guys up in Alaska that have used that bullet on moose up there and had some really good results.

I've talked to a couple guys up in Alaska that have used that bullet on moose up there and had some really good results.
That's awesome to hear. I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a huge animal like a moose but I suppose if placed properly, it'd get it done. My concern would be penetration with bad placement. Think I'd opt for the heavy Nosler Partition. Glad to hear it did well on Moose.

I know folks are using them and apparently like their results, but I've always been hesitant to use a match bullet (ELDM and others) as opposed to a designated hunting bullet like the LRX, ELD-X, Accubond, etc. I'm seriously considering trying some of the Hammers, just sure which one to start with. Since I have to travel 17plus hours to get to do a 3 day hunt just once a year, worrying if a match bullet like the ELD-M or A-Tip is going to give the right terminal performance, especially if I mess up and don't make the most perfect shot, just doesn't make sense to me. If I got to do more hunts I'd be more inclined to do some testing on terminal performance. I just don't want to make one suffer, have a long tracking job, or lose an animal because I used the wrong type of bullet.

I guess it depends on what you are hunting, but a 300 grain Berger should punch a pretty good hole through whatever animal it is. I use them with 91.5 N570 and love the load. I am getting 1/2" groups at 200yds with a less than optimal shooting bench. I know at 600-700 yds they leave a softball size exit in a whitetail.