Yet another barrel breakin/cleaning question...

cdherman

Pardon, but I have not been able to find the answer to this one...

New factory barrel on a Savage 270 WSM

I'd like to follow the common instructions out there to clean after each shot for the first 5 round, then after every five for a while etc....

But when I try to get ALL the color out, I cannot.

I have had this trouble for sometime, with several guns. I use Montana Extreme or Butches Boreshine. I have Dewey's nylon coated rods. I had been useing phospor bronze brushes, but have now tried nylon as well.

The brushes have brass ferrules, as does the rod. I run 20 strokes with the brush, then follow with a soaked patch.

I keep doing this, expecting the patch eventually to come out clean. But it never does.

If I run a second patch, its pretty clean, a third dry patch will be spotless after a couple cycles.

But if I repeat the scrub with a brush (does not seem to matter, nylon or phosphor), I get blue black color on my patch. Even if I have repeated 10 cycles of brush and patch....

I do not have a Borescope.

Are my black patches just from the brass on the rod and the brass wire on the nylon brushes? Or do I have copper still in the barrel?

And if you tell me I still have copper in the barrel, then what kind of OCD, self punishing, saint ever follows these guidelines out there that say to clean out the barrel of all copper after each shot for the first 5-10 shots?????

I mean -- it takes me about 20 minutes to get these guns even "sort of" clean.

I seem to feel that the definition of "clean" is pretty variable....

I want to break this new barrel in "by the books" so that if it does not shoot, I can use it for a boat anchor in good conscience and get a hand lapped Shilen knowing that factory barrels just suck and there is no way around that.....

Thanks In Advance....

hello. My jag and particulary brushes dissolve in the stronger copper solvents, giving me the false impression the barrel is chalked full of copper. get one of those cheap cleaning kits, the ones that nobody will admit to owning. all aluminum and plastic jags. then reswab and jag, if the problem goes away, it isnt in your barrell. some barrells are a booger to break in. very good bullets like Barnes, in a new barrell that hasnt been burnished by harder bullets can seemingly leave half a bullet in the barrell for every one fired. Hand polished barrells make life easier, but shooting it will do the same thing, just a lot more frustrating

Or try this. Forget barrel break-in, I'm a fan of shooting more and cleaning less. I shoot my barrels until the accuracy falls off then I go and clean them.

The black is not copper. It is powder fouling that is married to your bore. You need to continue with brushing until the black is gone. There is underlying copper. I also advise leaving a good solvent soaking in the bore for several minutes.

Speedy's method of cleaning works very well. I've done it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.