Yellowjacket and Don't Mean NFL HOF

Nary a yellowjacket in sight even first night . Must have been really good stuff!! I will clean off the soffit in couple days and seal everything up. Good suggestion I got was to take heavy steel scrub pad and cut it up to plug all areas then plug over with silicone. The steel will help stop any return since steel is not friendly to their chompers.🤣

We had a hive of them get up between where the roof soffet met our brick wall...don't know how they found a hole but they did. I sat there and killed hundreds with spray to no effect. Finally I carefully sealed every hole with caulk figuring they'd die.

By the next morning they'd chewed through the drywall and I had an angry hive flying around my garage. First and only time I called the pros.

Yellow Jackets are pesky bastards. I hit one on the four wheeler, came to a sliding stop, I brushed him off my jacket and he returned the favor by stinging me under my left eye right where my glasses meet my face. No gratitude for letting him go.

We had them all over Oklahoma and I had to wage war in the summer with them on a weekly basis. Red Wasps in OK are just as bad and then there's the hornets, the Brown Recluse and random scorpion action.

I got stung by YJ's 14 times last year while checking a trail cam up next to a creek. I literally ran out of my shoes trying to outrun them down the creek bed. I was over 100yds away bf I could stand still without being attacked. Meanwhile, my son and brother sat in the truck about 40yds away and just out of sight of the camera, unaware of what was going on. After about 10 minutes I heard the truck shut off and the doors slam. I started yelling, telling them not to go toward the camera. They walked down the road and helped me pick a route through the briars to the road. I'm allergic to nothing, but nausea set in about 15 minutes later and I was in pain for several hours. A double dose of Benadryl and a two hour nap, and I was good to go. YJ punch way above their weight.

I got my revenge the next morning. I sneaked up and poured a cup of gas in the entrance to the nest. When I checked the camera several days later, there was an armadillo and then a racoon tearing the nest out of the ground. SWEEET!!!

Several years ago while mowing shooting lanes in shorts and a tee shirt, I brushed up against a hornet nest. They didn't sting me, and I didn't know they were there. On the return pass, and a few feet to the side, I got got!!! I slapped the tractor into neutral and bailed off. I only had two stings, but one left a BB sized knot on my thigh that is still there. I now use a bee keepers shirt and hat, and wear gloves and long pants and boots.

Got stung under left armpit in that very sensitive area. Dang! That little bugger hurt like dickens! Which is why I called in calvary! I tried normal wasp hornet spray and prob is what got me stung! They injected the kill foam right into the entrances with a small wand so it was delivered into the heart of the nest. Need EPA license for that "good stuff"!
We've had a couple like that this summer. They have a spray foam that works great. I hit the paper nest and soaked it with that foam. It works for hours and kills returning bees and fumigates the ones inside even if the liquid doesn't contact them. Works amazingly well. None survived any 3 of my foamings. Last one was a football size paper nest on my hunting shack eave. Hit it in mid daytime while they were busy in and out and the next day, not one flying around it. Good stuff for sure.

Two experiences:
1. Living near Warrensburg, MO I was weed wacking some overgrown area and upset a ground hive of hornets/yellowjackets (did not take time to inspect closely). Ran a record 200 yard dash to the house (got stung a couple of times). Went in, showered and changed clothes. Had been told the little devils will recognize the clothing of the inteloper or smelll same. At any rate when I came out they were not interested in me. That night I killed the nest. Interestingly, my wife and kids were out in the area and the little devels (not my kids) did not bother them.

2. Visitng a friend in Idaho in the summer. It turned out I arrived the same time an infestation of yellow jackets did. They were in his house eaves, inside the covers of his exterior electrical outlets and built nests in the eaves of his outside BBQ structure. The foam spray worked (Idaho YJs must be weaker than those Michigan ones) on the house and electrical covers but the eaves of the RRQ were too high to reach with the spray. We tried fly swaters for the occasional ones but there were too many. We waited until night and he used his front end loader to lift me up into the eaves to spray the nests. Did not get stung but upon reflection it was a really dumb thing to do. Beer had no bearing on the event. LOL

Attachments

• DSC01928.JPG
    DSC01928.JPG
    863 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01923.JPG
    DSC01923.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The problem I had was the entire hive was inside the soffit. So the foam needed to be injected up inside the entrance. Interesting suggestion from a landscape guy I know. He claims they are territorial and will not build a nest where one exists. So he puts up fake nests and they will not build nearby. He claims it works so I may try putting couple up.