long range and Indiana living don't match

pressman

Hello guys
I don't know where everyone lives but from a lot of the forums i read it not in Indiana. One of my biggest issues is that i am a Precision nut. close just means it almost their. That being said I would love to have Shawn or Kirby to build me an 338 edge or 338AM but i could never really shoot it here and get the potential out of the weapon. I have been looking at the 6.5 creedmoore but no one builds the gun except creedmoore (tubbs) and if I am going to spend that kind of money why not just go all the way and get the ultimate 338's. I do go to Wyoming every year to hunt mule deer and antelope... but my custom 270 fits the bill ( somewhat) not as accurate as i would like. 3/4 moa. with hand loads. I really don't want a caliber that i have to fire form because i don't have that equipment and mainly the experiance of doing it. Not many wildcat shooters in Indiana. just not sure what i want ( sounds like a woman).. anyway my question is in your own opinion how much should a person shoot (long range) once a week, once a month, I know the true answer is as much as you can... which i would if I lived where i could. 300 yards is pretty long in Indiana and not really bragging but that is really not a big issue for me.
Sorry for this being so long i just get all rapped up when i read some of your guys great stories and the precision of some of your shots.

Although I do not live in Indiana, I have the same grievances with Kentucky. 300 yard shot is usually 100 yards onto some one elses property. On a lighter note, next spring I am moving west to Colorado. Yall should join me!!

press, I hear ya. Northern Michigan doesn't offer much for the LR shooter. I am fortunate enough to have a private range out to 1K.

Depends where you live and who you know. I have a 300 yd fixed range in my backyard extendable to 400yd with a portable bench. I have shot to 860yd on land I have permission though it is 90min away; I could set up a 1 mile shot there if I wanted to but getting downrange to check the target would be a huge ordeal.

Indiana has tons of farmland, the real issue is stopping the bullets reliably as there are more houses than out west.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.