xp project question

B Jordan

i posted a while back about building an xp well i got all the stuff together and started it yesterday i decided to go with a fast twist 22-250 (i was going to post pic. but i cant find the camera i will later) my question is : what powder would work best ? can i use a slow burning powder or would a faster burning powder get me more velocity ? the barrel is 1x8" twist 18" long including the muzzle break and i will be shoot 75-80grn bullets i might try the 90smks i have a couple of boxes but i could not get them to hold together in my 22-243 will i have a chance with the 90s in a handgun? thanks,Brian

IMG_0231.jpg

Last edited:
I think I answered this elsewhere, but look what rifle guys are using with fast twist heavy VLD's and start there.

I have a 16" 22-250 and use Varget and H4895 with the lighter bullets. (It is 1x14 twist) I would think those powders would also work well for the 77gr through 80gr bullets.

Let us know how the brake works for you. I am thinking about rebarreling mine to a fast twist to shoot the 77s and 80s and I want to continue to use a rifle scope.

Last edited:
brake works really well it is the 35-40$ one from midway for an ar i think recoil is just about non existant i shot some 55gr today i had loaded up but only had 4 shells and was in a hurry so i didnt shoot a group just got it on the paper i think i will load up some tomorrow with h4831 or 4350 that seems to be what about everyone has the best luck with with bullets in the 75-80gr range dont seem to be very many people with a fast twist 22-250 so i cant find much load data i geuss a should have built a 22-250 ackly but i hate fireforming 2-300 cases to pd hunting and if i only get to go once a year i dont want to shoot fireform loads

So the brake actually works then. Good!! I don't think you will miss not having the AI version. You likely will see a little more brass stretch with the standard, but with a barrel life that made be only 1500 rounds, why use it up fireforming? Nice looking rig! Keep us posted with the load you settle on.

i loaded a few rounds today and shot worked up to 36 gr h4831 with 80 gr noslers it was very very windy and i did not have the chrono set up i was not showing any pressure and but i quit because of the wind the the only group i shot was around 3/4 " for 5 shots with 3 shots clover leafing one hole so its showing a little promise i need to take the stock back off and work on the trigger a little bit more and the stock does not fit good around the trigger so you kind of have to poke the trigger with the end of your finger but i just really wanted to sling some lead with it i plan on fixing the trigger tomorrow evening and removing some wood so i can pull the trigger instead of poking it

Though I have a bit more case capacity in my 22 caliber than you, I am having good velocity using H414 and H4350 and the 70gr Barnes TSX.

Neal

22-250 , 22-250ai

I just started a Striker in 22-250 , 8 twist , 17" barrel , and working on a Encore , 7 twist , 18" barrel in 22-250AI.
Powders : H414 , IMR4350 , 4831sc . Should have some results soon .
Ray

thanks,rupe

ray, i would like to try to shoot some 414,4350 but the wind has blowed 25 mph the last three days and i have not got to shoot it yet hope your project turns out good post some pic. when you get it going

Man--sounds like just the project i wanna do. I'm probably gonna go with the Striker tho to have a magazine like Ray's doing. This for long range coyotes using the 75 or 80 A-Max. The 6th Hornady manual shows IMR 4895,RL-15,H 4350, H 414, VV N-160, and AA2700 for use with the 75's.

Sierra's 5th Ed. shows XMR-4350, H4350 Ext., RE-19, IMR 4831, XMR-3100, H 4831 SC, and Re-22. This with their 80 SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.